Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
It seems that a lot of people think the Lions will draft a QB to replace Harrington (although I'm not so sure, since Millen is still in control). However should it be the case, would they be interested in trading up for our #3 pick to ensure they get Leinart, Young or Cutler (however they rate them)?

Because I don't think there's that big a difference between Cutler, Leinart and Young and if we can get one at 9 and get 1st round pick next year or a 2nd round this year plus change, it would be a great deal.

Many mockdrafts have the Lions taking Cutler at 9, and you'd think the argument is that he's the last of the 3 "elite" quarterbacks left. Which means, depending on how they rate the QB's, they might go for a trade to take Young or Leinart, depending on who NO takes (if they even pick a QB).

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why Cutler is a reach at 3 and Young is not... sure Young is athletic, but that is way overrated, just look at Brooks, Vick, etc.

If they really want Leinart, they probably would. If they would be happy with Cutler, maybe not.

And if Young is on the board, I think it's moot because I think we'll take him...

Gunny said:
and why the hell do we wanna trade out?

Well considering about 50% of QBs taken early end up as total duds and Cutler might be as good as Young or Leinart the question is why wouldn't we? Keep in mind when I say 50% of the QBs that are early draft picks don't make it I mean they don't even last in the league let alone end up being an average QB. GO back and do some research. Of course every year we repeat the old "but these guys are not like those guys" phrase but the bottom line it keeps happening. It will be interesting about 5 years after the draft to see how these guys end up. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 6th round draft choice be the best of the bunch 5 years from now.

Vigsted said:
Because I don't think there's that big a difference between Cutler, Leinart and Young and if we can get one at 9 and get 1st round pick next year or a 2nd round this year plus change, it would be a great deal.

Many mockdrafts have the Lions taking Cutler at 9, and you'd think the argument is that he's the last of the 3 "elite" quarterbacks left. Which means, depending on how they rate the QB's, they might go for a trade to take Young or Leinart, depending on who NO takes (if they even pick a QB).

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why Cutler is a reach at 3 and Young is not... sure Young is athletic, but that is way overrated, just look at Brooks, Vick, etc.

Because Young has proven he can dominate at the college level while Cutler hasn't ?

Puck said:
Danny Wuerrfel dominated at the College level
that translated well to the pros, didn't it ?

How is that relevant ? Any GM is going to take someone who has shown he can be dominant in college vs someone who hasn't. Saying Cutler and Young are on an even playing field doesn't make much sense.

Young: 3 Bowl appearances, a near Heisman trophy, and almost single handedly took down possibly the best team of all time with clearly inferior talent.

Cutler: looked good while not making a Bowl game and putting up decent numbers on a bad team.

Yea, I can see it...

Well, frankly I don't give a **** about bowl games, heisman trophy or what have you. I look at a given players abilities and skills and frankly, the athleticism of Young aside, they look to be about even.

Cutler has a better arm than Young and he hasn't played strictly from a shotgun position.

Can it? Who's having more success the Roethlisberger's, Brady's et al or the Brooks', Vick's et al?

If your quarterbacks primary weapon is his feet, you're in trouble.

Did u not see the rose bowl. Jay Cutler is not even in the same league as Young. Young is a game changer, simply put. Put Cutler in the Rose Bowl on the Texas team, not good results probably only 3 points scored with him behind center. Young is a proven winner like Brady and Leinart. And the last time I checked that is what football at this level is played for, for winning games and Super Bowls.

Eric Crouch was a proven winner too.

And all the things I hear about about Vince Young I also heard about Akili Smith... and he was selected 3rd overall as well (uhoh)

A mobile QB who can take over a college game is not the same as being anle to take over an NFL game. Tons of excellent college QBs, whether they are "slash"-types or Wuerffel-types, can't make the transition to the NFL. There is no 100% guaranteed proven formula.

Young could end up the next Michael Vick (a great athlete but a poor passer). OR worse, he could end up the next Kordell Stewart. Personally, I think he'll be better than Vick, but you never know. What I do feel confident in is that his running ability will be far more limited in the NFL, because if he keeps running he'll get hurt too much. An NFL QB has to be a good passer.

Personally, I think Young will be very good in the NFL, and his passing is much better than Vick's was in college. And I rank him as the best QB in the draft. But just how good he'll be remains to be seen.

As for Cutler, he did a great job on a terrible team (I should know, I'm a Vandy fan). John Elway never went to a bowl game in college, and I'd wager that any team would be thrilled to get an Elway clone. The kid is going to be a damned good NFL quarterback, IMHO. Maybe the best of this year's crop. If Leinart had played the last 4 years at Vanderbilt instead of USC, I doubt he'd be considered by anyone as a franchise-type pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back