Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
I have heard ESPN try to pick apart Young with his throwing motion, but after watching the Steelers this weekend I noticed that Ben has almost exactly the same motion. If he can do good in the NFL, why not Young?

Yeah... ESPN also said that USC was going to kill Texas in the rose bowl...

V. Young is going to be a great quarterback. I think he will be a great addition to the Titans, because McNair can continue giving V. Young pointers specially since they play so much alike and mcnair has been a mentor for young. Plus, McNair has no more then 2 or 3 years left in him... In those 2-3 years, we can get V. Young developed, then have him start.

ESPN is the media... When was the last time the media was 100% right?

If you haven't been already, welcome to the site, guys.

I think Young learning behind McNair would be ideal for us. Some think Leinart would be, and it makes sense as well, since we have Chow, but Chow also worked with Philip Rivers at N.C. State, and he has a similar delivery to Young, Roethlisberger, Favre, etc. I think Young will be fine in the NFL, and could benefit from the time to learn. I'd hate to see him thrust into a starting position in Houston or New Orleans. Houston could let him sit behind Carr if they wanted, but there would likely be friction there, for obvious reasons. Carr doesn't seem like he's ready to be in the mentoring stage of his career yet.

i think the big deal about his delviery is it's low. big deal, the guy is 6'5". i'd understand if he was 6'0" like mike vick.

I think his throwing motion is coacheable and besides he has the best legs in the draft, and loves McNair too.
DRAFT VINCE!!

#1TitansFan said:
I have heard ESPN try to pick apart Young with his throwing motion, but after watching the Steelers this weekend I noticed that Ben has almost exactly the same motion. If he can do good in the NFL, why not Young?

Young has other issues besides throwing motion such as not having to drop back from center in college. Certainly all these things can be coached up but these are issues when you are considering taking a guy #3 in the draft and passing on some other potentially great players.

Puck said:
i watched the Rose Bowl (again) today

I only saw Vince under center ONCE - that's an issue
McNair managed to learn how to do it. Is taking a snap under center and dropping back that difficult a thing to learn?

you'd think not
but even Vince's shotgun stance looks odd, he stands sideways

and it took Steve quite some time to develop a good drop

it just adds to Vince's "risk" factor

(i won't hesitate to draft him though if he's at #3)

i was just watching the senior bowl on nfl network. they interviewed norm chow and he said something to the tune of "i've never believed in changing a qb's throwing motion."

bigtitan53279 said:
i was just watching the senior bowl on nfl network. they interviewed norm chow and he said something to the tune of "i've never believed in changing a qb's throwing motion."

hmmm......... it's valid you know

i guss t'd be like asking a batter to switch hitting boxes

the problem though is that he throws TOO low

regardless of who else in the history of the league have thrown with a similar side arm motion, I don't think anyone threw as low as he does

NFL defenses will purposely exploit that 'weakness'

Well, it's not like any QB we draft would start in 2006. We will have time to teach him if we draft Young. Re-learning to take a direct snap would be part of that.

Puck said:

regardless of who else in the history of the league have thrown with a similar side arm motion, I don't think anyone threw as low as he does

the guys is 6'5", his release point is probably at the same level of mike vick's.

Starkiller said:
Well, it's not like any QB we draft would start in 2006. .

unless they didn't have a choice

what if ? we were able to trade Volek ?
and Steve were to fall to injury (probability 80%)

who then would you rather start ?
Vince Young / Matt Leinart
or Matt Mauck

Puck said:

You make a great point Puck. Seriously. He obviously can't continue to throw like that in the pros, or his balls are going to be batted around with a higher frequency than normal. What really concerns me is McNair has taken him under his wing since HS. You have to bet McNair has been at least conscious of it to try and help him... and 4 years later, he's still throwing sidearmed.

Puck said:
unless they didn't have a choice

what if ? we were able to trade Volek ?
and Steve were to fall to injury (probability 80%)

who then would you rather start ?
Vince Young / Matt Leinart
or Matt Mauck
Well of course, then they may not have a choice. But no rookie would be expected to start in any other situation.

Ragevsuall said:
You make a great point Puck.
Thanks

Seriously.
:)

He obviously can't continue to throw like that in the pros,
I agree - but I'm not gonna say obviously. the argument that his height decreases the release minimum does have some credit. As long as deflected passes don't become an issue it might just be a moot point

or his balls are going to be batted around with a higher frequency than normal.
:ha: :winker: that's gotta hurt :grrr:

What really concerns me is McNair has taken him under his wing since HS. You have to bet McNair has been at least conscious of it to try and help him... and 4 years later, he's still throwing sidearmed.
Either A) Steve doesn't think it's gonna effect him in the NFL
or B) Steve, like Norm, think it unwise to alter his motion
or C) Vince either can't do it or chooses not to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back