Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
nigel said:
That wasnt directed purely at you. People were saying the same thing about the Young interview. People need to remember thats kinda the point of these interviews.

Ok, misunderstanding then.

nigel said:
That wasnt directed purely at you. People were saying the same thing about the Young interview. People need to remember thats kinda the point of these interviews.

Understandable, I think the interviewee, spoke his point of view concerning Matt, which is what one should expect, but.. I don't remember the Young interview mentioning

"Matt Leinhart's arm strength, or Cutler being the flavor of the week" It just sounded to me, like a bit of putting the other two down, to boost confidence in Leinhart.

nigel said:
I'll be interested to see if everyone is throwing around the homer arguments when the Cutler interview goes up.

What I found most interesting about the article is how is has game on the court. If we draft him, I cant wait to see him go up against Drew at Keith's charity basketball game in 2007 :brow:

Looks like Cutler would be a nice addition to the basketball team and Fisher's softball team. Cutler in high school was a three sport athlete who not only played football, but was also a first team all-state basketball player who averaged 20 and 21 points per game his junior and senior years respectively. For the baseball team Cutler was an all-state shortstop with a .400 batting average.

Soxcat...

Snap out of it! What is this broke back mountain?

You are already male bonding with the guy as if he was already a titan. I have this image of cutler in a raider uniform getting his head knocked in by mario williams wearing two tone blue.

At 6'7 with a 40 inch vertical i think mario could handle cutler in a one on one game.

Ewker said:
talk about brokeback!!! someone needs to stop dreaming about Mario Williams :brow:

haha...

That aside, the one thing I liked about Leinart was the end of the article. The fact that he was still driving his old Truck instead of a new fancy Sports car. Don't know about you guys, but that stood out more to me than anything else.

Just wait a few days and Rolltide will drop off of Williams and start riding the jock of another prospect.

Personally I don't care who we take as long as he is the best QB of the bunch in 5 years.

Sounds like a homer to me

So yeah, he sounded like a homer.

Why don't they just post an interview with Matt's high school best friend? Maybe one of his lady friends?

:evil: :lol:

Oh ,before I get called a homer, Leinart is my #1 pick --- slightly over Cutler.

Well, Jeff, I probably owe Ms. Halliburton an apology. Compared to this guy she's a regular Flanders :))

Don't get me wrong, I like the article, but to me it's like reading the tabloids, you enoy reading it, but believe none of it.

TitanJeff said:
Give me an example of an unbiased report. Show me ANY article you've read on any draft pick which was not full of opinion.

Jeff I dont think anyone is saying that. But when he refers to Cutler as the "flavor of the week" and this sort of thing its obvious he is biased towards Leinart, and thats fine. But this is posted in the forum so we can comment and give our opinions of the article too right?

Sure. It's about discussion here. No doubt.

But let's be sure we recognize much of the pro-Cutler stuff is also biased. All articles which predict how well a player will do in the NFL is based on opinion. I think it somehow becomes "homerism" if that opinion doesn't jive with our own.

TitanJeff said:
Sure. It's about discussion here. No doubt.

But let's be sure we recognize much of the pro-Cutler stuff is also biased. All articles which predict how well a player will do in the NFL is based on opinion. I think it somehow becomes "homerism" if that opinion doesn't jive with our own.

Jeff, when I say homerism I dont necessarily mean favoritism per se. The guy has obviously seen Leinart more than Cutler, and obviously likes Leinart. Because of that, I can understand how someone would lean towards the local guy they have dealt with and seen play more, thats fine and understandable. What I take issue with though, is this guy showing no knowledge of Cutler, yet still declaring Leinart the obvious better choice, thats where he is showing a clear and unfair bias towards Leinart IMO.

Come on Jeff, one of his issues with Cutler is his size. One, he either doesnt know enough about Cutler to even realize he has prototypical NFL QB size, or two he is just looking for reasons to cut him down, which is where I would say its homerism.

And I do agree that everyone has their case of bias or homerism, no doubt. But I also think its a better discussion if that stuff is pointed out and we can get through the bias. THe guy's assessment of Leinart is a good assessment I think, so dont think Im just trying to rip the guy to pieces, Im not, I just dont agree with his Cutler assessment at all.

How many articles have we read which say Young can't read defenses so the Longhorns simplified their offense or he can't take a snap from under center?

How about that Leinart doesn't have an arm and was only successful because of the talent around him?

TitanJeff said:
I think it somehow becomes "homerism" if that opinion doesn't jive with our own.

Now, it's not secret I favour Cutler as the #1 QB, but I'm still convinced I will find the article on him biased as well.

And I agree you can't find a bias-free report on this kind of stuff, it's impossible. However having the local press talk about their own player is bound to be more biased than say the local press of an opposing team.

Again, I'm not knocking your initiative or the articles themselves. I personally just find them more fun to read than actually enlightening.

TitanJeff said:
How many articles have we read which say Young can't read defenses so the Longhorns simplified their offense or he can't take a snap from under center?

How about that Leinart doesn't have an arm and was only successful because of the talent around him?

Those are honest questions that should be dealt with in my opinion. Taking issue with Cutlers size when he is the exact same size as Leinart is not an honest concern IMO, in fact I think its riduculous. All these guys have some question marks, and I think the guy alluded to one with Leinart about throwing the deep ball. Im sorry that I dont agree with his assessment that Cutler is perhaps to small, or that Cutler didnt win enough games, or that Cutler is just the flavor of the week. I think Cutler and Leinart are pretty even IMO, and I dont think this guy pointed out one legitimate concern with Cutler, yet still acted like Leinart was head and shoulders above him. Just my opinion.

RollTide said:
I have this image of cutler in a raider uniform getting his head knocked in by mario williams wearing two tone blue.

At 6'7 with a 40 inch vertical i think mario could handle cutler in a one on one game.
Reese is sill waiting for Andre Woolfolk to justify his roster spot. You think he'll draft another DE after taking LaBoy and Odom only two years ago?

:deadhorse

Vigsted said:
And I agree you can't find a bias-free report on this kind of stuff, it's impossible. However having the local press talk about their own player is bound to be more biased than say the local press of an opposing team..
Possibly. But I also think it gives a different perspective than what you get from the mainstream. The best thing to do is take it all with a grain-of-salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back