Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff I dont agree with releasing him sooner than later. The later he gets there the longer it will be for him to learn the offense and thats an advantage for us when we play them. Getting another qb in early is not as important to us as getting Steve is for them. Volek knows the offense and hopefully will take his game up a notch or two as he will playing for a new contract with another team next year and you can bet Rosenhouse reminds him of that everyday. Our coaches have to keep him protected and our o line needs to step up and keep him on his feet if they do hes probably as good or better than Steve right now. Hes no more injury prone than Steve and will practice with our receivers more often than Steve did. I am still and always will be a McNair fan he has done great things for the Titans that will always be appreciated. There is nothing wrong with what Steve and Cook are doing nor with what the Titans are doing its just the business side of the NFL. If Baltimore wants him before July let them pay the price or let them wait. Volek may surprise us all with a career year.

The Don said:
Question:

Say for example we did make a trade with the ratbirds, and we got the fourth round pick.

The ratbirds would pick up his existing contract. Correct?

Of course they would structure a brand new contract when he is in their camp.

My question is, if we make a trade, would we have any money, whether prorated dollar or dead money, on our books?

we would have 9 million in savings I think.

I think the real question is "How much will it take to sign the rooks?" This money then can be generated with re-structuring McNair (and others) to keep him IF it beat the market value. I say market value because it appears Steve has little interest in maintaining intangible sources of revenue that Nashville could produce. (just like Eddie did)

$10M, actually (if you count in the $1M that will hit in September)

A 4th round pick is pretty good compensation for a guy who is otherwise expected to be released outright.

theprizdfighter said:
I think it's obvious Volek will have a career year, since he has never been a starter for a full year.
You are taking a big leap in assuming he can stay healthy enough to start all of this year...

Starkiller said:
About an extra $3M over what we are currently accounting for under the salary cap.

surely the Ravens aren't going to offer Mcnair 6 million/year with guaranteed years? Have you heard anything about their offer?

Riverman said:
surely the Ravens aren't going to offer Mcnair 6 million/year with guaranteed years? Have you heard anything about their offer?
Not really sure, but I would think it's around that range. But really, it's about him getting more in guaranteed money (and money he's likely to earn soon) versus the $10M he's set to get this year and/or whatever the Titans have been asking him to take.

some of you don't get it. Saying the Ravens recognize Steve has little value is crazy. Why are they going to offer a high pick when they are offering Mac more guaranteed money and years that's what Mac wants he has no incentive to agree to anything less. The titans are in a pickle because they will have to release him and get absolutely nothing. The Ravens are smart the ball is in there court. Plus the Ravens have waited long enough for every other available quarterback spot has been filled. The raiders would have jumped all over Steve and so would the Dolphins. The Titans are in a no win situation unless they settle for a 4th or 5th. Mac will get his money and 3 years. Yes he talked about retiring but when he decided to come back he didn't say I am going to play one year and retire. He lost the weight got in shape, yes he was hurt some but being back in shape let him know he could still play. In the new offense he was not able to carry the team like he usually does but later in the season he showed he can play at a high level. He was just a couple a plays away from beating Seattle the eventual super bowl runner up. The truth is in Baltimore he will not have a better defense, a better running game and better receivers. I sincerely thik they will be an instant superbowl contender with Mac. Mac deserves another shot at a superbowl and I believe he will get one and win this time.

It's telling that the Titans only asked for a fourth round pick. What is even more telling is that the Ravens weren't willing to give it.

Is it just me or does this seem sort of like not much for a QB when we gave up a 3rd for a pothead/RB last season. Maybe it's just me.:suspect:

Titantonic said:
It's telling that the Titans only asked for a fourth round pick. What is even more telling is that the Ravens weren't willing to give it.
\
Did you read my last post Titantonic? The game is being played and the Titans may lose this hand. The Ravens are already getting his jersey made. Mac has a unwritten contract with them for X amount of money. Mac could care less what draft picks the Titans get that only helps the Titans not Mac not the Ravens. When Mac doesn't renegotiate the Titans must release him and the Ravens keep their picks and Mac gets paid under his new deal that's guaranteed for three years about 6 million a year with playoff and superbowl bonuses.

Big TT said:
Is it just me or does this seem sort of like not much for a QB when we gave up a 3rd for a pothead/RB last season. Maybe it's just me.:suspect:

Don't be suprised that if Mac hits the free agent market watch Minn, Dallas, or Cleveland come calling Mac. I have read the Ravens board and they want Mac bad. They see him as there best chance to a superbowl over the next three years. Read my previous post. They will get him for nothing if they wait it's not a reflection of Mac's value but instead Baltimore playing there cards right. They didn't offer any quarterbacks a deal during free agency and they didn't draft a quarterback but they know they can't compete with Boller. They are smarter than you give them credit for plus they have half the Titans superbowl roster. Mac is there final piece and they will keep Lewis.

I say we look for a different trade partner. A 5th rounder isn't going to do it. He's worth a 2nd-3rd. Worst comes to worst, cut him at the last second.

The question is how much the Titans are willing to do to avoid simply releasing Mac? It's hardly impossible to keep him without gutting the team. They could cut Sirmon for $2.4M. Renegotiating Bulluck's deal would save $3M. Kinney and Hentrich could also be potential renegotiating targets to save $1M combined. Cut Nickey and Wade to save a combined $1.4M (hell, they're goners anyway). They could trade Chris Brown and save $1.55M.

Starkiller said:
The question is how much the Titans are willing to do to avoid simply releasing Mac? It's hardly impossible to keep him without gutting the team. They could cut Sirmon for $2.4M. Renegotiating Bulluck's deal would save $3M. Kinney and Hentrich could also be potential renegotiating targets to save $1M combined. Cut Nickey and Wade to save a combined $1.4M (hell, they're goners anyway). They could trade Chris Brown and save $1.55M.

I've thought the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that Reese still has that bitter taste from all the restructures that got us here in the first place. Still, with the windfall of cap relief we've got in 07, making some of those moves makes sense, at least to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back