Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
So, what do you guys and gals think of the play where Burrow runs towards the sideline, throws the ball while in the air heading out of bounds and the ref blows the play dead with the ball in the air?

Personally, I think the whistle was so late that it didn't effect the play. It should have never been blown, and if it was even close (it wasn't) the ref blew the whistle way late to be signaling Burrow was out, causing mass confusion. But by rule, it should have been a replay of the down anyway and the TD can't be awarded.

The whistle happened right as he was catching the ball. The defender wasn’t close enough to make the play anyway. I wouldn’t take it away as that would REALLY be letting the refs interfere in the outcome.

Technically according to rules, it should have been a replay of down. In reality, he wasn’t out of bounds and it was a TD. I’m glad it stood instead of having to be replayed due to a refs mess up.

The whistle was blown due to the rules of protecting the QB. The NFL can't have it both ways. It would have been really bad had Jefferson let up, so that he wouldn't get a roughing the passer call on the sideline. But Jefferson was coming full speed and the ref thought he was going to take out Burrow and quickly blew the whistle.

Regardless if the defender wasn't close to Boyd, rules are rules and that play should've been replayed. I'm sure Boger would've pulled out his 1950's notebook and called that play back had it been us.

Whistle call went against the Vols in the Music City Bowl. I agree had that been titans, it would have gone against us. But the whistle was late after or at the catch, and should not have been blown.

Cannot wait for playoff football in Nashville. I assume we will play saturday. Do you guys figure we get early game 3:30?

Technically according to rules, it should have been a replay of down. In reality, he wasn’t out of bounds and it was a TD. I’m glad it stood instead of having to be replayed due to a refs mess up.
Agreed all the way around. My only hope from this even becoming a thing is that a ref actually has repercussions for almost F’ing things up.

I’ll just add that as “controversial” as it appears now, it would be 100% more controversial if they actually replayed the down and Cincinnati didn’t score the TD.

Bengals were controlling that game from the jump, so it doesn't impact the finish.

...but it looks like dudes on both teams stopped.

The whistle comes while the ball is in the air above the end zone. Pretty damn close to being caught. I don't think players had time to stop because of the whistle. I think the defenders stopped because they knew it was a TD.

The whistle was blown due to the rules of protecting the QB. The NFL can't have it both ways. It would have been really bad had Jefferson let up, so that he wouldn't get a roughing the passer call on the sideline. But Jefferson was coming full speed and the ref thought he was going to take out Burrow and quickly blew the whistle.

Regardless if the defender wasn't close to Boyd, rules are rules and that play should've been replayed. I'm sure Boger would've pulled out his 1950's notebook and called that play back had it been us.

You could be right. Looking back, there is a defender getting close to Burrow on the sidelines. You can't see where he ends up because the camera follows the ball on the pass and then the whistle blows.

The ref was watching Burrows feet and not that the ball had been thrown causing the whistle to sound close to when the ball is caught.

It wasn't an "inadvertent" whistle... It was just a whistle that shouldn't have been blown, period.

But you're right, rules are rules... Just in this case theres really no winner.

Whistle did not impact the play but should not happen. And rules should be followed if there are such rules in place.

NFL basically said the call was correct and then removes the crew for the rest of the playoffs. Basically their way of saying they were wrong without coming out and saying it.

Cant pick and choose when to enforce the rules. Down should have been replayed. Burrow and Taylor also clowns for saying they didn't hear a whistle, burrow literally was bitching about it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back