Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was worth a shot, but he is as his name says... a Clown. Thinks his value is WAY more than his actual worth. Can you guys believe he wanted $20million...lol. What a clown.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was worth a shot, but he is as his name says... a Clown. Thinks his value is WAY more than his actual worst. Can you guys believe he wanted $20million...lol. What a clown.

A professional athletes agent trying to get them top dollar? An agent trying to find a stupid GM? Who ever heard of that?

Owners make billions of dollars using Stadiums we build with our tax dollars and fans say nothing and even seem worried about their money, but seem to always have an issue with players. I’ve never understood that.

A professional athletes agent trying to get them top dollar? An agent trying to find a stupid GM? Who ever heard of that?

Owners make billions of dollars using Stadiums we build with our tax dollars and fans say nothing and even seem worried about their money, but seem to always have an issue with players. I’ve never understood that.
If there were no caps, we would worry a lot less about players

So now you understand.

If there were no caps, we would worry a lot less about players

So now you understand.

Clowney has NO cap hit. NONE. 1 year deal. Sure it didn’t work out this season, it turned out to be a mistake, but to call him a clown is silly. He doesn’t have any impact on the team in 2021.

Clowney has NO cap hit. NONE. 1 year deal. Sure it didn’t work out this season, it turned out to be a mistake, but to call him a clown is silly. He doesn’t have any impact on the team in 2021.
Yeah.. what about this season right now? We paid him 12 mil to play this season and he isnt.. If there were no caps... we would just drop him and bring in someone else and it wouldnt matter so much...

But we cant do that..

A % of unused cap $ rolls over to next season. Plus there is the opportunity cost of another player we could've had this year with that money. There most certainly is an impact on 2021.

I don't think paying players what they get paid is the problem it's how they are paid. Getting lumps sums of money guaranteed creates no incentive to continue to get better at your job/craft. What we have now is a player only has to play well and improve for 3-4 years to get paid, now after that the player makes the choice to continue to improve or maintain previous skills or not to work as hard. Clowney did just enough to warrant a good contract as a rookie coming out of college and since has play mediocre hence the trade and the fact he didn't get his price this offseason. I don't know why people get mad about owners being billionaires they were that before football Soo? Moral of the story is the NFL needs to adopt a incentive based pay on contracts, you play well and the team succeeds you earn well if not.... It will never happen though because the NFLPA.

In theory I like the incentive based contracts... but then it would turn into..

I got 90 yards on 18 carries... The coach screwed me and didnt give me enough carries for me to get MY BONUS.

I was only targeted 4x in the game... How can I get my 100 receiving yard bonus if the QB doesnt throw me the ball at least 10x a game!

In theory I like the incentive based contracts... but then it would turn into..

I got 90 yards on 18 carries... The coach screwed me and didnt give me enough carries for me to get MY BONUS.

I was only targeted 4x in the game... How can I get my 100 receiving yard bonus if the QB doesnt throw me the ball at least 10x a game!
Ya for sure I could see that happening, another option would be is for teams to have a opt out clause no matter what. So a guy decides to all of a sudden suck or cap issues the player gets a percentage of the contract and is released no carry over.

The player is basically the employee, they are paid based on their current market value based on their quality of play.

It’s one thing to negotiate from a position of strength when you know you’re bringing something of great value. It’s another to hold out, play hardball, and ask WAY above market value all summer long like he alone could be the missing piece for a team and could take them over the top. Then not even get one one freaking sack.

Oh, and a business owner takes the risk, to buy a football team cost on average $3 billion dollars. The risk of Investment dollars should generate a return. The player, or employee, risks nothing and still gets quite a bit of money with no cost or risks at all.

The player is basically the employee, they are paid based on their current market value based on their quality of play.

It’s one thing to negotiate from a position of strength when you know you’re bringing something of great value. It’s another to hold out, play hardball, and ask WAY above market value all summer long like he alone could be the missing piece for a team and could take them over the top. Then not even get one one freaking sack.

Oh, and a business owner takes the risk, to buy a football team cost on average $3 billion dollars. The risk of Investment dollars should generate a return. The player, or employee, risks nothing and still gets quite a bit of money with no cost or risks at all.
I was with you until you said the player risks nothing... these guys take on serious long term physical effects. Their risk is higher than anyone's.

Do you even know what “ current market value” means? Obviously not. It’s whatever anyone in the market is willing to pay. You ever trade your care in and want what you owe on it? Or what YOU think it’s worth? Then you are shocked at what they offer? I imagine you have. That’s how anything works. You asked for more and the “ market “ bears out eventually what you get. Clowney ended up with $13 million.

What do sacks have to do with his contract? The negotiating of said contract? Clowney has always been a complimentary player who was way better against the run but applied pressure and someone else got the sack. He was never a sack guy. He has basically averaged 4.5 sacks a season.

Fans freaking out about money has never made sense to me. I get it if the Titans had given him a 5 year deal that cratered the salary cap, but they didn’t. Clowney didn’t work out. It was risky with his prior health issues with his knee. The Titans knew this, they aren’t morons, They knew what they were getting. It didn’t work. MOVE ON. I don’t care whether he was paid $13 million or $30 million. It has no impact moving forward. The Broncos traded a draft pick and took on a rather large cap hit the next 2 seasons for Casey. He played 3 games, no sacks. Shit happens.

For future reference about the Titans in particular... Bud Adams bought this team for $25000 and they are now worth $2.5 billion dollars. Their net revenue in 2019 was $422 million. Don’t give me the risk an NFL owner takes with the franchise. NONE have ever gone broke.

I was with you until you said the player risks nothing... these guys take on serious long term physical effects. Their risk is higher than anyone's.
I’m talking financially, they put no capital at risk for a return like an investor or business owner.

Every person in a high risk job takes on whatever physical risk that job entails. Their are plenty of risky jobs that pay no where near what an NFL football players gets paid.

Do you even know what “ current market value” means? Obviously not. It’s whatever anyone in the market is willing to pay. You ever trade your care in and want what you owe on it? Or what YOU think it’s worth? Then you are shocked at what they offer? I imagine you have. That’s how anything works. You asked for more and the “ market “ bears out eventually what you get. Clowney ended up with $13 million.

What do sacks have to do with his contract? The negotiating of said contract? Clowney has always been a complimentary player who was way better against the run but applied pressure and someone else got the sack. He was never a sack guy. He has basically averaged 4.5 sacks a season.

Fans freaking out about money has never made sense to me. I get it if the Titans had given him a 5 year deal that cratered the salary cap, but they didn’t. Clowney didn’t work out. It was risky with his prior health issues with his knee. The Titans knew this, they aren’t morons, They knew what they were getting. It didn’t work. MOVE ON. I don’t care whether he was paid $13 million or $30 million. It has no impact moving forward. The Broncos traded a draft pick and took on a rather large cap hit the next 2 seasons for Casey. He played 3 games, no sacks. **** happens.

For future reference about the Titans in particular... Bud Adams bought this team for $25000 and they are now worth $2.5 billion dollars. Their net revenue in 2019 was $422 million. Don’t give me the risk an NFL owner takes with the franchise. NONE have ever gone broke.

And you obviously have never signed the front side of a paycheck. Or started a business on a shoestring with your last dime hoping you were on to something but if you failed it was all on you. Those types of risks deserve whatever reward they yield.

Without the visions and dreams of pioneers like Bud Adam’s, there would not be multimillionaire NFL players in the first place. People like you seems to not be able to grasp that simple capitalist theory.

As far as Clowney, You must have completely misunderstood my post. I’m not bent out of shape by rolling the dice on him. And I have no problem with him “asking” or trying to negotiate for more than the market will bear.

It’s holding out all offseason, not making it to training camp when he finally realized that the real market was not going to pay him anywhere near $20million, then be a total bum when he did finally step on the field. Same with Bumsley.

We had to roll the dice at $13mill. We desperately needed pass rushers and he was worth taking a shot. Not complaining about that. I am glad we were smart enough to only throw one year at him so his piss poor showing will get rewarded accordingly next offseason by the market place with an even lower price tag.

Fans freaking out about money has never made sense to me. I get it if the Titans had given him a 5 year deal that cratered the salary cap, but they didn’t. Clowney didn’t work out. It was risky with his prior health issues with his knee. The Titans knew this, they aren’t morons, They knew what they were getting. It didn’t work. MOVE ON. I don’t care whether he was paid $13 million or $30 million. It has no impact moving forward. The Broncos traded a draft pick and took on a rather large cap hit the next 2 seasons for Casey. He played 3 games, no sacks. **** happens.
Fans freaking out about the money absolutely makes sense as fans. No one thinks its their money BUT the team they root for has a cap limit and of course as fans we want them to win. It's all subjective arguing but we're talking about fans that want to win getting the best bang for their buck. Of course they're gonna be little pi$$ed when $13 mil gets spent on a FA bust. That's $13 mil that could have been spent elsewhere to make the team better.

That said, I personally have no issue with the Casey trade or the signing of Beasley/ Clowney. It was a recognized hole on the team that needed filled and JRob went after a couple players to try filling them, it didn't work out. That also makes the deals look that much better because there is no long term hanging on to them.
I would have cared more if he had gotten $30 mil over $13 mil because that would have seriously crippled some of the other signings this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back