Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m talking financially, they put no capital at risk for a return like an investor or business owner.

Every person in a high risk job takes on whatever physical risk that job entails. Their are plenty of risky jobs that pay no where near what an NFL football players gets paid.
Sure, but their body is how they make money. Career and ability to earn could end at any moment. Players take a bigger financial risk than owners every week.

I read Clowney is back at his home in Houston to heal so he's not with the team he ran back home with his money. Probably for the remainder of the season.

Sure, but their body is how they make money. Career and ability to earn could end at any moment. Players take a bigger financial risk than owners every week.

Depends if the player was smart and considered the cost in injury insurance the cost of doing business. Nobody likes to pay for insurance. But everybody wants to have the benefits when an event occurs.

And if he has diversely invested his guaranteed money in things that generate revenue.

but yes- the financial risk to an individual whose entire revenue stream depends upon his playing is greater than an owner who likely has a diversified portfolio.

Texans team ortho MD did his surgery as well which I find very odd

Dr Walt Lowe is Chief of Orthopedic Surgery for Memorial Herman here in Houston at the Texas Medical Center. He is widely consider top 5 in his field. Clowney was already his patient as Dr. Lowe did his micro fracture surgery . I wouldn’t find that odd at all. He is Clowneys doctor,

Unless by some small miracle, we decide to bring Clowney back, this is definitely by far the worst free agent signing in franchise history. Simply because of the big name and how he was supposed to be the final major piece to complete a Super Bowl contending team.

Clowney wasn't terrible, but he was extremely inconsistent. He had moments where he was all over the field, but he had several games where you forget he even existed. He was good whenever he got a good first push on his blocker, but when he didn't, it seemed like he'd give up on the play.

I read Clowney is back at his home in Houston to heal so he's not with the team he ran back home with his money. Probably for the remainder of the season.
11.5 mil guaranteed, I wonder if he knew his knee was needing repair but wanted to sign for the biggest $, miss TC and bail early?

Doesn't help him for next year though.

11.5 mil guaranteed, I wonder if he knew his knee was needing repair but wanted to sign for the biggest $, miss TC and bail early?

If he passes medicals by the next team they will sign him, just like we did.

That team will probably get burned too, just like we did.

He plays a premium spot that teams will overpay to get.

F yes he was hiding an injury. Can’t get paid if they think you’re injured. That’s why “the medical” took so long to get and probably never really was done. At least properly.

Unless by some small miracle, we decide to bring Clowney back, this is definitely by far the worst free agent signing in franchise history. Simply because of the big name and how he was supposed to be the final major piece to complete a Super Bowl contending team.

Clowney wasn't terrible, but he was extremely inconsistent. He had moments where he was all over the field, but he had several games where you forget he even existed. He was good whenever he got a good first push on his blocker, but when he didn't, it seemed like he'd give up on the play.
This is so dramatic lol it was a one year deal that didnt work out. Happens all the time.

This is so dramatic lol it was a one year deal that didnt work out. Happens all the time.

How is it dramatic? Clowney was one of the biggest names on the free agent market, probably the biggest star we've signed in free agency, negotiations went back and forth the entire offseason until he finally signed at the 11th hour. And on top of all that, he was supposed to be the final piece to a contending team. So yeah, not just a regular 1 year deal that didn't work out...

How is it dramatic? Clowney was one of the biggest names on the free agent market, probably the biggest star we've signed in free agency, negotiations went back and forth the entire offseason until he finally signed at the 11th hour. And on top of all that, he was supposed to be the final piece to a contending team. So yeah, not just a regular 1 year deal that didn't work out...
It’s actually somewhere in-between. Because the money wasn’t obscene and only for a year, it nullifies some of the pain. Some.

The money wasn't near what he was asking, but with a few teams after him and his past connection with Vrabel and our need for him its disappointing for sure. Also with trading Casey and freeing up money I think most of us had our hopes up.
It felt like a FA win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back