Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
I heard someone say on the radio yesterday that even if if we add DHop, we wouldn’t be competing for a Super Bowl this year. My question is, what do you think it would take for us to really compete this year? Who do we need to add? What pieces are missing?

I heard someone say on the radio yesterday that even if if we add DHop, we wouldn’t be competing for a Super Bowl this year. My question is, what do you think it would take for us to really compete this year? Who do we need to add? What pieces are missing?
I think it's the WR group. People talk about the WR's Brady had but the NFL has changed a lot since the early 2000's. You need at least two studs at WR. Hop's best days are behind him.

Adding WR to our current offensive strategy probably does nothing. Adding OL would fit better. Along with edge and corner on defense. Even then, we just may not be set up to beat the top teams in the AFC. We may have to face the idea that we can't get there from here.

Probably going to have a new coaching staff, and a new philosophy before we make another run at the AFC championship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, and Randy Moss.

I just don’t understand the general logic. Regardless whether someone thinks the titans are SB contenders or not, how does adding a weapon that improves the rosters a sign they are not competing for the SB?
I’m not sure I get how signing Hopkins hurts the SB chances.

Let’s look at this position by position or level by level.
On the Offense:
QB: SOLID BUT NOT ELITE
Tannehill when healthy can be the guy, but he needs a solid OL and receiver group to be effective. Levis adds much needed competition.

Offensive line: SOLID BUT NOT ELITE
Looks to be much improved but is still unproven. Dillard or Skoronski at LT makes this line at least near SB quality as the OL doesn’t have to be elite, they just can’t be a turnstile like last year. I think with Jones, Radunz, Levin and Duncan, we have the depth now to hold our own against any defense.

RB: SET
Obviously Henry can carry the load and Spears is an electric addition.

WR: NEEDS WORK
Adding a #1 like DHop to pair with Burks would be huge, but we still need a field stretching deep threat. KJ Hamler?

TE: SET
Wesco is one of the best blocking TE in the league and is a huge upgrade over Swaim. Chig is ready to break out and Whyle is a sneaky good addition. This group could be special.

Defense:
Defensive Line: SET BUT LACKS DEPTH
Big Jeff, Tart and Autry are an elite threesome but there is nothing behind them. Adding another DL would be wise as Autry is getting up in years.

Edge: SET BUT LACKS DEPTH
Landry is the biggest question mark here. None of the Titans edge rushers are elite caliber, but with Big Jeff inside they’ll get their opportunities. Key and Weaver seem like more rotational players. Could adding a vet like Frank Clark or Leonard Floyd take this front to SB caliber?

Linebackers: NEEDS WORK
Aziz and Monty are the starters? Maybe? This group lacks proven talent and could become the Achilles heel of the defense.

CB: NEEDS WORK
Is Fulton even gonna start? Who starts opposite him? SMB? McCreary? Farley? This group needs help and depth bad. How about a veteran like Marcus Peters or Ronald Darby?

Safety: SET BUT LACKS DEPTH
Byard, Hooker and Molden are the guys here, but Hooker didn’t look like himself last year and Molden is switching positions. This group really needs more depth.

Thoughts? How would you fill in the holes. Keep in mind that the salary cap isn’t real.

Let’s look at this position by position or level by level.
On the Offense:
QB: SOLID BUT NOT ELITE
Tannehill when healthy can be the guy, but he needs a solid OL and receiver group to be effective. Levis adds much needed competition.

Offensive line: SOLID BUT NOT ELITE
Looks to be much improved but is still unproven. Dillard or Skoronski at LT makes this line at least near SB quality as the OL doesn’t have to be elite, they just can’t be a turnstile like last year. I think with Jones, Radunz, Levin and Duncan, we have the depth now to hold our own against any defense.

RB: SET
Obviously Henry can carry the load and Spears is an electric addition.

WR: NEEDS WORK
Adding a #1 like DHop to pair with Burks would be huge, but we still need a field stretching deep threat. KJ Hamler?

TE: SET
Wesco is one of the best blocking TE in the league and is a huge upgrade over Swaim. Chig is ready to break out and Whyle is a sneaky good addition. This group could be special.

Defense:
Defensive Line: SET BUT LACKS DEPTH
Big Jeff, Tart and Autry are an elite threesome but there is nothing behind them. Adding another DL would be wise as Autry is getting up in years.

Edge: SET BUT LACKS DEPTH
Landry is the biggest question mark here. None of the Titans edge rushers are elite caliber, but with Big Jeff inside they’ll get their opportunities. Key and Weaver seem like more rotational players. Could adding a vet like Frank Clark or Leonard Floyd take this front to SB caliber?

Linebackers: NEEDS WORK
Aziz and Monty are the starters? Maybe? This group lacks proven talent and could become the Achilles heel of the defense.

CB: NEEDS WORK
Is Fulton even gonna start? Who starts opposite him? SMB? McCreary? Farley? This group needs help and depth bad. How about a veteran like Marcus Peters or Ronald Darby?

Safety: SET BUT LACKS DEPTH
Byard, Hooker and Molden are the guys here, but Hooker didn’t look like himself last year and Molden is switching positions. This group really needs more depth.

Thoughts? How would you fill in the holes. Keep in mind that the salary cap isn’t real.
I think CB is going to better better than current rating.
Tons of different guys showed some good flashes over the past 2 years, they’ve had some time and should be adjusted now to make impacts. Like every other position, gotta stay healthy.
They will also be beneficiaries of that trio up front as a good pass rush improves all secondaries.

I think CB is going to better better than current rating.
Tons of different guys showed some good flashes over the past 2 years, they’ve had some time and should be adjusted now to make impacts. Like every other position, gotta stay healthy.
They will also be beneficiaries of that trio up front as a good pass rush improves all secondaries.
Who do you see as the starters at CB?

D-Hop would be huge upgrade but I doubt he would want to play here. Bet he signs deal with the Bills to chase a ring, for cheap

Adding WR to our current offensive strategy probably does nothing. Adding OL would fit better. Along with edge and corner on defense. Even then, we just may not be set up to beat the top teams in the AFC. We may have to face the idea that we can't get there from here.

Probably going to have a new coaching staff, and a new philosophy before we make another run at the AFC championship.

Not a chance …. Vrabel will be here a long time.

Who do you see as the starters at CB?
Fulton and mccreary for sure
It seems reports are that bunting-Murphy is the other guy.
I’m still have a little belief that Farley has value to have been selected 1st round. Not saying probowler or anything like that, but I’ll bet against JRob having selected 2 isaiah Wilson’s.
I know Molden seems to be getting work at Safety, but he may also play CB still, Chris Jackson and Avery both struggled. I’m hoping another year helps both be something outside of liability.
Total question marks on the UDFA, maybe 1 can be a depth guy.
The fact almost all of them are returning seems good to me in a continuity way.
Also, the key is still the DL and QB pressures. These guys only need to be average or so but will look much better against QB pressured into bad throws by the DL.
I picture the Altruan Verner scenario. He was a marginal guy that took full advantage of a good front and got paid for 1 season of work.

I think adding dhop would be huge. Double coverage would be on him for at least6 games at least if his talent has slipped off. Him and treylon would be unreal and I think surprisingly I think we'd get alot of defences off guard. Dhop and treylon on intermediate passes with alot of yac. Ca. We afford him. Obvs not, but I'd prefer him in a pipe dream than say obj

I think adding dhop would be huge. Double coverage would be on him for at least6 games at least if his talent has slipped off. Him and treylon would be unreal and I think surprisingly I think we'd get alot of defences off guard. Dhop and treylon on intermediate passes with alot of yac. Ca. We afford him. Obvs not, but I'd prefer him in a pipe dream than say obj
I appreciate the optimism - LOL

We simply needed decent QB play to get past Cincy and couldnt get it done…we are way beyond that team now so in a league with Cincy, Chiefs and Eagles I dont see it regardless of who we add this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back