Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about Gap analysis. What is the gap between the Superbowl contenders and us. It's huge. It's about closing the gaps we don't win or expanding the gaps we do win.

This is about Gap analysis. What is the gap between the Superbowl contenders and us. It's huge. It's about closing the gaps we don't win or expanding the gaps we do win.
What is your reasoning for saying the “gap” is so large? Since this is not really quantifiable, it’s a pretty subjective statement.

from last year, we know the titans were banged up a large part of the year. We can also agree that it appears the front runners of the AFC seem to be KC, Buffalo, Cin since all 3 were in the Div round + each of the last 2 years.
Ten got smoked by Buffalo, took KC to the absolute limits, and lost another close game to Cin.
Seems even banged up, TN competed pretty well among 2 of them, so I think I disagree the “gap” you refer to is all that large.

Look at the last 4 SB teams and the defining factor was WR’s. Rams had Cupp, OBJ, Jefferson. Bengals had Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Uzomah. Chiefs had Kelce, JuJu, MVS, Toney and Skye Moore. Eagles had AJ, Devonte and Goedert. The Titans need at least one more top tier receiving threat to compete.

I heard someone say on the radio yesterday that even if if we add DHop, we wouldn’t be competing for a Super Bowl this year. My question is, what do you think it would take for us to really compete this year? Who do we need to add? What pieces are missing?

How much time u got, buddy?

Analytics looks at the entire season or more. Not one game. That makes it less subjective than any other approach. We want players and plays and personnel formations that translate to wins mathematically. Players that net yards. Plays that net wins. That is all measurable. KC and Buffalo players net more yards and wins on average. So that's why we hired Carthon. To close the gap. We didn't even have an analytic department until 2021. Now we do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Analytics looks at the entire season or more. Not one game. That makes it less subjective than any other approach. We want players and plays and personnel formations that translate to wins mathematically. Players that net yards. Plays that net wins. That is all measurable. KC and Buffalo players net more yards and wins on average. So that's why we hired Carthon. To close the gap. We didn't even have an analytic department until 2021. Now we do.
It’s fair to look at the analytics in general and base some assumptions on that but I’d be willing to bet analytically, titans had zero business taking KC to OT with Willis at the helm and probably not a 4 point game against Cin. Probably also states less than a 34 point blowout against Buffalo but the point is presented that despite what analytics might predict, the game still needs played and underdog or not, any team can win any given day. Not sure the analytic spread or point spread necessarily make much of a difference.

my point is that Tennessee may have a large analytic gap but has a good track record of playing the best teams and knowing the AFC South is a weak division, the chances actually increase at a shot to make the playoffs and then they go back to the matchups individually.

What is your reasoning for saying the “gap” is so large? Since this is not really quantifiable, it’s a pretty subjective statement.

from last year, we know the titans were banged up a large part of the year. We can also agree that it appears the front runners of the AFC seem to be KC, Buffalo, Cin since all 3 were in the Div round + each of the last 2 years.
Ten got smoked by Buffalo, took KC to the absolute limits, and lost another close game to Cin.
Seems even banged up, TN competed pretty well among 2 of them, so I think I disagree the “gap” you refer to is all that large.
Yup took the SB champs OT to beat us with Squirrel Boy calling plays.... Huge gap!!!! Huge!!!! Willis had 80 yds passing....:biglaugh::boo::chuck:

They know they need to have this ship righted before the new stadium is complete- and I dare say apathy is a risk for this fanbase before that. They need to sell PSLs. I think they know they have to deliver a better product, but the question is have they done enough this offseason.

Losing Downing was addition by subtraction. Crappy adjustments with bad protection. It worked somewhat during the 12-5 season, so they ran it back again, only they were missing AJ and Lewan. Also missing Landry on defense. The rest was just attrition. Downing got a pass for the previous year, but this offense never looked right after Arthur left. Last year showed why he got fired in Oakland.

The question is whether any of the current receivers can make an AJ type leap. If not, we could be in trouble, even with the new offensive scheme. I hope they do more with mixing up the looks and a lot more hurry-up tempo.

In theory, the defense should be improved, but they have to get a handle on the injury front. Is there such a things as playing too hard? If giving 100% means you're injured half the time then it's time to look at how you define playing hard.
Other teams who we've beaten recently are winning championships without having a crippling amount of injuries. I'm wondering how having turf instead of grass is supposed to improve that?

No point continuing- there are too many unanswered questions, but I hope the current steps are heading in the right direction.

I think the easiest thing to point out is that Vrabel is paid to do a job. He cannot tank or have anything less than absolute full effort to win or he’s fired.

the players have to play to keep getting paychecks, anything less than that, they’re done.
If anyone has any leniency this year, it’s Carthon and I’m sure he’s not willing to throw he’s leniency away in his first year.

this team will try to compete, should have a legit shot at the South and there should be zero effort or actions regarding a new stadium in consideration period. What owners do is on them, as far as the team goes, everyone competes every year for a SB, that’s it.

nfl literally has a high grade tracker on all the players pads ( pretty real sure its the pads ) and they 100% know the on field location of all players every play... only an idiot would ignore this vast amount of data

I am not saying there is not a ton of noise there, but there has to be a ton of quality information as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back