Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: Titans GM Floyd Reese contacted Bus Cook, agent for QB Steve McNair, today to arrange a meeting when he returns to Nashville from Los Angeles. The two might not have a lot to discuss. As of today, the Titans were a mere $462,673 under the salary cap -- and that doesn't include signing the upcoming draft's No. 3 overall pick. Tennessee is going to have to find more cap room and the place it always has found it is McNair, who carries a $23.45 million salary-cap figure for the coming season. According to Cook, the Titans have only sent him one reworked contract which extended the current one for three more years but contained the same contract numbers. Cook said he submitted a counteroffer about three weeks ago -- and never heard anything back.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

Only one contract? If you believe this, then you have to wonder what Reese is thinking. I truly don't understand what the "same contract numbers" mean if Reese wants three more years. Could this mean he realistically wants McNair for $3.3 mil per season? I'd think there would be need to be a large signing bonus there and nothing guaranteed beyond '07.

well if mcnair doesnt rework this, then we are going to have to release him, cause i dont think vince is gonna want to play for only that much

TitanJeff said:
I truly don't understand what the "same contract numbers" mean if Reese wants three more years.
It means McNair would still get his $9M (or $10M) this year, but the $13M in guaranteed money would be spread out over the next few years rather than all hitting this year. Basically, it would just lower his cap hit while McNair would still make all the real money he is scheduled to make.

But Cook wants to get McNair a contract with more guaranteed money that is likely to last longer.

TitanJeff said:
Only one contract? If you believe this, then you have to wonder what Reese is thinking. I truly don't understand what the "same contract numbers" mean if Reese wants three more years. Could this mean he realistically wants McNair for $3.3 mil per season? I'd think there would be need to be a large signing bonus there and nothing guaranteed beyond '07.
You said it..... "If you believe this..."
It says "according to Cook"......that is one step removed from "according to Rosenhouse".
Reese and the Titans are taking alot of bashing, mostly based on statements made by an AGENT trying to gain leverage.....mostly through the media at this point.
Who knows!?!?!!!

bulluck4dMVP said:
i can't decide what side to go with...
vader.jpg

"If you're not with me, then you're my enemy."

I don't believe in anything coming from Cook anymore. Neither should anyone else. He's simply trying to put as much pressure on the FO, to get the best deal possible for his client.
The fact that he's not doing a very good job, is just sad.

Starkiller said:
It means McNair would still get his $9M (or $10M) this year, but the $13M in guaranteed money would be spread out over the next few years rather than all hitting this year. Basically, it would just lower his cap hit while McNair would still make all the real money he is scheduled to make.

But Cook wants to get McNair a contract with more guaranteed money that is likely to last longer.
I understood that much. But when you say "same contract numbers", that doesn't tell the story because it doesn't say what McNair would make in those other years, the signing bonus, how much is guaranteed, etc.

skitch said:
You said it..... "If you believe this..."
It says "according to Cook"......that is one step removed from "according to Rosenhouse".
Reese and the Titans are taking alot of bashing, mostly based on statements made by an AGENT trying to gain leverage.....mostly through the media at this point.
Who knows!?!?!!!
The Tennessean also quotes Cook saying the Titans have sent them only one offer so far as well.

What gets me is this is all so predictable now. You can almost see it coming.

1. Both parties want new deal.
2. Titans want to wait until after draft to get serious about negotiations.
3. McNair wants to get deal done asap or be released. In order to make this happen, Cook makes statements to the media to get things moving ("doing his job")
4. Reese responds with statesments to media but delays serious negotiations.
5. Cook talks about other teams showing interest.
6. Reese keeps on poker face as he is off scouting draft picks.
7. The Titans lockout McNair to show him "who's boss".
8. The parties finally sit down and discuss.
9. Titans send another offer over which is considered a joke.
10. Another Cook response (or three) in the media.
11. The draft occurs.
12. It hits the fan again as McNair misses mini-camp. Pressure on both sides now to get it finished. Titans need the money to sign draft picks.
13. Deal finally gets worked out.

I still don't see anything serious happening for a few weeks if not longer. You'd hope it could be settled by late May just so it frees up some money to get some of those June cuts.

just release him already so that he can go to another team and have a chance to prepare for the season, you ain't treating him right anyway, and you don't deserve him!:grrr:

kimberly said:
just release him already so that he can go to another team and have a chance to prepare for the season, you ain't treating him right anyway, and you don't deserve him!:grrr:
I think we should tell Bud Adams that Kimberly should be the new GM.:winker:

TJ, just curious comparing this scenario to your citing of Climbers article, which concludes McNair is gone. Which do you agree with more? I think this scenario (above, where it gets worked out after the draft) is still more likely...

if McNair wants to play hard ball, let him. The Titans don't have to resign/release him till the season starts (I think). let him go right before the season or bonus is due...that's mean isn't it:duckrun:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back