Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think with our current O-Line and talent on offense that any QB we can bring in next year would have a prayer of being successful. IMO we should get some upgrades so that any QB we bring in will be successful.

DeutschTitan said:
"Get a QB next year"...ok who? Brady Quinn won't "hopefully" be in our reach next year.(I say hopefully, because I hope we turn this around next year.)

I like Troy Smith (OhioState) that kid is money

Brady Quinn will be in plenty reach, it's not like he'll be a top10 pick

I think he's a lock for the top 10... he was highly recruited out of high school which leads me to believe that someone thought alot of his arm. He hasn't been hurt that I know of. He had an excellent season last year and is working with what was the top O-coordinator in the game so his mechanics should be solid. If he follows up last season with another stellar year he's probably looking at a top 3 selection I would think.

At this point in his career, B-Hop would be best as the primary tackle backup, mentoring all the young O-line players. But I doubt his pride gets out of the way for him to do that...

And yes, Brick is an immediate upgrade to him. Remember, we will be playing Dwight Freeney twice a year, and with his elite quickness, Brick will be able to handle him way more than any other player on our roster.

Titans2008 said:
Brickashaw is pure muscle right now at just under 300 lbs. He has plenty of room to add weight and become a dominant run blocker. He has already shown he is capable by adding 15 lbs since the end of his season.

I seriously doubt he's added 15 lbs of muscle in a few months....legally anyway. I've read he's worked for 3 years to add 30 lbs, and he's still isn't 30. Not all people can just add weight easily. People have different frames, different metabolisms.....the only sure fact is he is not a 330+ mauler with quick feet now. In this draft, if I'm picking at 3, I'd want that type of LT.

GoTitans3801 said:
GLinks,
I may be on my own, but I'd gladly take brick starting over hopkins next season. I'm hoping we cut hopkins whether or not we take brick. He was offsides all the damn time, and besides the first colts game, I don't remember any time where he really had a solid game. He might still be better than many of the other OTs in the draft, but I think brick would be a straight up improvement by week 1.

GT3801 - I wonder...I really do. Brick has some massive appeal when I forget about the so-called "sexy" draft picks. Hopkins has experience, but whoever said Brick's arms were like telephone poles...that was a great analogy. Thing is, Hopkins can still play. He did "Twitch" more than normal, but I don't think he sunk quite to "False Start Fred" status.

I'm considering summoning RollTide for some stats on this one...considering...considering...:suspect: (j/k). Whoever knows, I'm keen to learn. Maybe I'll even look it up myself...a novel idea.

Brick would certainly bring some freshness to the line, but even a brick wall can hit a...well, you know.

If only there were one less QB in the top of this draft, this would be a whole lot clearer. CURSE THIS BLESSED DRAFT! :lol:

DeutschTitan said:
ummmm, Volek is the same way. Volek fit Dinger's scheme, that's why he had the success he did. Under Chow, Volek hasn't shown anything. So, that comment to me is rubbish. You pass on Vince and Leinhart, who's left? Cutler will be gone and then who? Whitehurst, Hackney, Jacobs? No thank you. If the Titans pass on the two top signal callers then this franchise is in deep ****. Your not always going to find a Brady in the later rounds.....

Also, in reply to this thread, I could see us taking the Brick if we were in the 4th and 5th slot and Vince and Leinhart weren't there. When we took Hoppy, there weren't any top signal callers, so the decision was easy: take your franchise LT and then get your QB later. So the question is, "Do you take your franchise QB or a possible franchise LT?". The QB pick is much more sexier and if we turn this next season around, it would ease the fanbase of knowing the post-McNair era is already cleared up. On the other hand, Brick could possibly help us out right away, but then we don't have a QB to replace McNair and I'll be damned if I pay money to watch Volek do his damned Drew Bledsoe impression. "Get a QB next year"...ok who? Brady Quinn won't "hopefully" be in our reach next year.(I say hopefully, because I hope we turn this around next year.) So who's left? I don't know guys, the Brick doesn't seem so "safe" to me as many make him out to be. We need to improve the running game and from what it sounds like, that's not his forte.

You know, I hate to say it, but Leinart most resembles Brady in this draft. He's an undisguised Brady, with Brady's NFL success, but in college.

Counter argument to the OT v QB debate. Jeff and others have brought it up. Take Ferguson, reach for a QB later. Take a QB, still get a top quality OT later.

We did draft Roos to be LT after all. He's smart enough to be versatile. We can take the best available in the 2nd. I'd almost guess Whitworth, Callaghan, Colledge and Scott will be available when we pick in the 2nd. All considered punishing run blockers and capable to above-average pass protectors. To me they sound like good complements to Roos, and two or three of them can play either side as well.

In the end, that's probably my draft strategy, so I can fill both needs.

Puck said:
3) Tennessee Titans D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
Billy Volek has done well when called upon behind McNair, and Vince Young is not the best fit for a Norm Chow offense.

that was well put, he's right
as electric as Young is (can be) he might not fit the scheme
under Dinger he might have

Not sure. The similarities in the passing game during the Rose Bowl were almost scary, except Young successfully threaded the seam down the middle of the field. My contrary thought is Young is a versatile weapon and versatile weaponry is what the O thrives upon. It's why Bush was a key cog. I think the beauty of the scheme is it's meant to be versatile also. If at QB it requires a leader and field marshall, I don't think Young is disqualified.

Joe Z. said:
At this point in his career, B-Hop would be best as the primary tackle backup, mentoring all the young O-line players. But I doubt his pride gets out of the way for him to do that...

And yes, Brick is an immediate upgrade to him. Remember, we will be playing Dwight Freeney twice a year, and with his elite quickness, Brick will be able to handle him way more than any other player on our roster.

That's a good argument...if it turns out to be true. Freeney gets the best of many a man, but I'm encouraged from what I've seen of Ferguson.

If the Titans pick up this freak of nature of a lineman, they will have to do that in the first round, probably a top 10 pick. With our desperate need of a franchise QB, would we do something like that? Do we think we can find a franchise QB in the second round? I think Cutler will go in the first round. Is there a team out there that can give us 2 first rounders for our 3rd pick?
________
Chrysler ab platform history

Ferguson will definitely go in the first round, most likely in the top 5. Currently there are no teams with 2 first round picks, so that scenerio relys on teams making trades.

maximus said:
Ferguson will definitely go in the first round, most likely in the top 5. Currently there are no teams with 2 first round picks, so that scenerio relys on teams making trades.

Denver has two picks but they are not real early picks.

Puck said:
3) Tennessee Titans D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
Billy Volek has done well when called upon behind McNair, and Vince Young is not the best fit for a Norm Chow offense.

that was well put, he's right
as electric as Young is (can be) he might not fit the scheme
under Dinger he might have
this makes me sad.

Ferguson is a heckuva player, and our o-line did struggle this year. We did draft 3 o lineman last year. We also have drafted other lineman in recent years such as Jacob Bell and Eugene Amano. I would like to see us give these guys a chance to show what they can do. I really don't think Hopkins will be around next year and who knows about Olsen and Hartwig. Right now I think we have more of a need at LB then at Oline. So, if we don't go with a QB with our first pick I am hoping for AJ Hawk.

fitantitans said:
If the Titans pick up this freak of nature of a lineman, they will have to do that in the first round, probably a top 10 pick. With our desperate need of a franchise QB, would we do something like that? Do we think we can find a franchise QB in the second round? I think Cutler will go in the first round. Is there a team out there that can give us 2 first rounders for our 3rd pick?
:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back