Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry isn’t done yet and he will easily be in HOF once he retires. You also have to take into account how the game has changed. Lower your head now and hit someone with your helmet as you try to run through them and it cost you 15 yards.

Also, like the old adage in boxing where styles makes fights. I like Henry’s style of just tossing defenders out of the way like rag dolls. Plus, why take the contact of a full steam run into a defender when you can throw them aside and keep and trucking. Sapp just trying to stir up some clicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Henry isn’t done yet and he will easily be in HOF once he retires. You also have to take into account how the game has changed. Lower your head now and hit someone with your helmet as you try to run through them and it cost you 15 yards.

Also, like the old adage in boxing where styles makes fights. I like Henry’s style of just tossing defenders out of the way like rag dolls. Plus, why take the contact of a full steam run into a defender when you can throw them aside and keep and trucking. Sap just trying to stir up some clicks.
And this may be one of the dumbest rules in football.
Bright side is it doesn’t get called often. Per the article below, only 4 were called in game but 229 were after review of the games, half of those rescinded with appeal. (Article is before 2023 season).
But Sapp never addresses that this “rule” exists which should in theory eliminate power runners entirely.

NFL rolls out more revisions to the lowering the helmet rule

I get what he’s saying about a power runner but he’s full of s**t after that.
The fact he argued fragile Fred as better than Henry discredits everything else he said even if it has some legitimacy.
he also showed a bias suggesting Alstott in the same conversation.
Again, strictly power runner, Henry probably isn’t very high.
Overall runner? Henry is HoF worthy easy.
Henry is not and has never been a “power runner”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a huge freakish athlete. It is absolutely amazing to me that people can watch him run and come away with, “man, he just runs over people.” If that were the case, why is his stiff arm so lethal and why does he use it so often? It’s because he can use it to outrun pursuit. He is most effective on wide zone runs or when a crease opens inside. He does not run people over. Gah!

Henry is not and has never been a “power runner”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a huge freakish athlete. It is absolutely amazing to me that people can watch him run and come away with, “man, he just runs over people.” If that were the case, why is his stiff arm so lethal and why does he use it so often? It’s because he can use it to outrun pursuit. Gah!
Man I have this same conversation all the time. Once Henry gets up to speed people dont stand in front of him. He can deflect them off while running 20 mph.. He has always been AWFUL at getting through the LoS. If he is touched at the line he just falls down. I know he has huge yards after contact numbers, but that is because he gets touched 3 or 4 yards behind the LoS and gets away. When he is just running up the middle, he HAS to have a hole to get through the line, then he is off to the races.

Henry is not and has never been a “power runner”!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a huge freakish athlete. It is absolutely amazing to me that people can watch him run and come away with, “man, he just runs over people.” If that were the case, why is his stiff arm so lethal and why does he use it so often? It’s because he can use it to outrun pursuit. He is most effective on wide zone runs or when a crease opens inside. He does not run people over. Gah!
100%.
It’s amazing that he’s more of a speed back with the strength he has to chuck people to wherever the nearest stadium is.

more of the same regarding the incorrect general statements from the “major” sports networks that clearly don’t watch the titans.
I think He run has some power and can run some people over, but that’s definitely not his style.

EG used to finish runs by dropping his shoulder into the LBs chest cause EG was a power back

DH22 is a giant finesse back, with some power

EG used to finish runs by dropping his shoulder into the LBs chest cause EG was a power back

DH22 is a giant finesse back, with some power

Totally agree....DH is a phenomenal player, and very likely a HOF back in his future. However, if it is 3rd and 2, and I had my choice of Eddie in his prime vs. DH in his prime I would choose Eddie all day.

Totally agree....DH is a phenomenal player, and very likely a HOF back in his future. However, if it is 3rd and 2, and I had my choice of Eddie in his prime vs. DH in his prime I would choose Eddie all day.
Feel the same way, but who has the ability to take that play blocked for 3rd and 2 to the house? That’s why Henry is a freak.

Feel the same way, but who has the ability to take that play blocked for 3rd and 2 to the house? That’s why Henry is a freak.

Yep...that is correct. However, moving the chains the majority of the time is better than hitting a home run occasionally while taking 2 yard losses alot of the other times IMO...that is why I would take Eddie any day in those situations.

Yep...that is correct. However, moving the chains the majority of the time is better than hitting a home run occasionally while taking 2 yard losses alot of the other times IMO...that is why I would take Eddie any day in those situations.
Probably not going to sway minds but, I did the research of 3rd and 2 or less with handoffs to EG27 and BDH. Here’s the results:

EG27 in 7 years
80/119, 6 TD. 67%
5/8, 1 TD in the post season.

BDH in 7.5 years (2021 years injury)
65/88, 11 TD. 74%
4/6 post season.

I didn’t factor any 4th downs or anything 3 or longer to go.
It’s also known that Henry is regularly taken out on 3rds (despite his success) which kept his numbers a little lower.

Probably not going to sway minds but, I did the research of 3rd and 2 or less with handoffs to EG27 and BDH. Here’s the results:

EG27 in 7 years
80/119, 6 TD. 67%
5/8, 1 TD in the post season.

BDH in 7.5 years (2021 years injury)
65/88, 11 TD. 74%
4/6 post season.

I didn’t factor any 4th downs or anything 3 or longer to go.
It’s also known that Henry is regularly taken out on 3rds (despite his success) which kept his numbers a little lower.
Pretty sure you just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that Henry is the best RB in Titans’ history. Thank you for your service.

All of Chris Johnson AND Derrick Henry plays of 50 yards or longer....

Combined together CJ/Henry had 35 plays of 50 yards or longer....

CJ2K 50+ Yard Plays....15 plays....11 TD runs, 3 TD catches

51 yard run vs CIN 9-14-08
66 yard TD run vs KC 10-19-08
58 yard TD run vs DET 11-27-08
57 yard TD run vs HOU 9-20-09
69 yard TD catch vs HOU 9-20-09
91 yard TD run vs HOU 9-20-09
52 yard TD run vs JAX 11-1-09
89 yard TD run vs JAX 11-1-09
85 yard TD run vs ARI 11-29-09
66 yard TD catch vs LAR 12-13-09
76 yard TD run vs LVR 9-12-10
83 yard TD run vs BUF 10-21-12
80 yard TD run vs CHI 11-4-12
94 yard TD run vs NYJ 12-17-12
66 yard TD catch vs SF 10-20-13

CJ only had 1 play over 50 yards that did not score TD

King Henry 50+ Yard Plays
......20 plays.....11 TD runs, 2 TD catches

72 yard TD run vs IND 10-16-17
75 yard TD run vs HOU 12-3-17
66 yard TD catch vs JAX 12-31-17
99 yard TD run vs JAX 12-6-18
54 yard TD run vs JAX 12-6-18
75 yard TD catch vs CLE 9-8-19
68 yard TD run vs KC 11-10-19
74 yard TD run vs JAX 11-24-19
53 yard TD run vs HOU 12-29-19
66 yard run vs BAL 1-11-20
94 yard TD run vs HOU 10-18-20
53 yard catch vs HOU 10-18-20
52 yard TD run vs HOU 1-3-21
60 yard TD run vs SEA 9-19-21
76 yard TD run vs BUF 10-18-21
56 yard run vs KC 11-6-22
69 yard catch vs CIN 11-27-22
50 yard run vs JAX 12-11-22
63 yard run vs BAL 10-15-23
69 yard run vs JAX 1-7-24

Henry has 7 plays over 50 yards that weren't TDs ....5 runs, 2 catches

The interesting thing is his last 5 big plays over 50 yards werem't TDs which meant he was now getting caught from behind and tackled
Or he got caught because of lack of blocking or players taking better angles
But he does seem to be a bit slower

Totally worthless info but....... D Henry was easily the AFC's best player on their dodge ball team at the ProBowl Skills competition last night. I think he got out 3 of the 6 NFC team members...

Totally worthless info but....... D Henry was easily the AFC's best player on their dodge ball team at the ProBowl Skills competition last night. I think he got out 3 of the 6 NFC team members...
That’s the norm for lumbering power backs who have lost a step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back