Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe forced oral sex is considered rape?
I also believe this is what Rothlisberger was accused of with witnesses. He walked away largely unblemished. If Watson did this, I hope the world has changed enough that outcome doesn’t happen again. But, innocent until proven guilty. So glad this is not a Titan, Isaiah Wilson was bad enough.

yes!

It is CRITICALLY unfair to Watson to rush to judgement and condemn his character under the assumption he’s guilty just based off of allegations and the “number” of accusers. He IS ALREADY suffering damages due to this being in the court of public opinion, regardless of whether he’s actually guilty or not. He probably has done some stupid, maybe illegal behavior, the merit of the allegations and the legality of the transgressions are to be determined by due process. But either guilty or innocent, his formerly good reputation has and continues to be tarnished.

and like it or not, plaintiff’s attorneys exploit the unfair and brutal nature of the court of public opinion to their clients’ (and their own) financial advantage. It’s a VERY common practice.
It is CRITICALLY unfair to the victims to rush to judgement and condemn their character under the assumption that they are guilty of “shady” business practices and “smear” campaigns. I get you feel like you are providing some sort of “balance” in the court of public opinion, but you might want to apply some balance to your own opinion first.

yes!

It is CRITICALLY unfair to Watson to rush to judgement and condemn his character under the assumption he’s guilty just based off of allegations and the “number” of accusers. He IS ALREADY suffering damages due to this being in the court of public opinion, regardless of whether he’s actually guilty or not. He probably has done some stupid, maybe illegal behavior, the merit of the allegations and the legality of the transgressions are to be determined by due process. But either guilty or innocent, his formerly good reputation has and continues to be tarnished.

and like it or not, plaintiff’s attorneys exploit the unfair and brutal nature of the court of public opinion to their clients’ (and their own) financial advantage. It’s a VERY common practice.

Ok..l now I’m proud of you. You have finally admitted that he probably did something stupid at minimum and maybe illegal. This is as far as I’ve seen the first time you have admitted that.

But to call any of this unfair to Watson is ridiculous. At a very small minimum he violated league COVID policy. A man in his position meeting random women on Intagram? That conduct isn’t troubling? Watson is a multi Millionaire professional athlete with resources beyond any of our comprehensions. Watson brought this on himself. When it was just one client and Buzbee proposed a totally legit settlement he should have took it and ran. Signed the NDA and moved on. He didn’t so Buzbee did his job and then the the damn broke. Buzbee didn’t know about these other clients until it went public. Watson knows what he did or didn’t do.

A sex crime accusation, coming from 1 or 12 is plenty damning. regardless of whether anyone is found guilty or not. If Watson is proved to have been guilty with only 1 person, it just as horrific. Due process is due process and the Duke case better illustrates that because Harvey was indeed guilty and the Duke guys were not. That is why I used that example because to use Weinstein assumes guilt right now. I am not defending Watson, I am defending due process.

I agree. But when the allegations came out about Harvey he wasn’t guilty yet either, right?

Yes. But issue is first, did she consent by definition, and second did it actually occur.

Did you read the complaint? How could she “consent by definition” ??? What is wrong with you? Do you even understand how horribly toxic that sounds?

Her testimony was she was terrified and even defecated on herself. That Watson got up and put his clothes on and just left.

I don’t think you have read any of these complaints.

I don't think anyone here feels that every woman that comes forward with allegations are liars or chasing money but what most of these cases have in common is that women come forth months or even years later. In addition to that there's talk about a settlement before pressing charges. If these women would have pressed charges, took it to court, guess what? They still get paid in the end.

This isn't a conspiracy it's business. The Texans have been looking bad ever since the whole don't let the inmates run the prison comment and trading Hopkins for nothing. Once again I don't believe Watson did it and the Texans are trying to do all they can to discredit Watson and tarnish his image forever even if it means setting the Franchise back for years.

I agree. But when the allegations came out about Harvey he wasn’t guilty yet either, right?
But again, he was proven guilty. The Duke guys were proven innocent. There is no lesson from Weinstein he was guilty and proven so. With the Duke example, people rushed to judgement and they were innocent. That is why I used it as an example to not rush to judgement. Sorry, I have made this so difficult, but my example was all about rushing to judgement and not a comparison of the crimes.

I also believe this is what Rothlisberger was accused of with witnesses. He walked away largely unblemished. If Watson did this, I hope the world has changed enough that outcome doesn’t happen again. But, innocent until proven guilty. So glad this is not a Titan, Isaiah Wilson was bad enough.

Big Ben settled the first case after a friend of the alleged Victim came forward and stated she bragged about sleeping with Ben R.

Big Ben got a 6 game suspension, reduced to 4 in the 2nd case after Charges were declined because the victim didn’t want to pursue charges. But the DA said they wouldn’t have charged him anyway. There were allegedly witnesses. No civil suit in that case.

But again, he was proven guilty. The Duke guys were proven innocent. There is no lesson from Weinstein he was guilty and proven so. With the Duke example, people rushed to judgement and they were innocent. That is why I used it as an example to not rush to judgement. Sorry, I have made this so difficult, but my example was all about rushing to judgement and not a comparison of the crimes.

Gotcha... I agree about the rush, I used Weinstein as an example that Medical evidence isn’t required and women don’t always come forward until lawsuits or others come out.

It is CRITICALLY unfair to the victims to rush to judgement and condemn their character under the assumption that they are guilty of “shady” business practices and “smear” campaigns. I get you feel like you are providing some sort of “balance” in the court of public opinion, but you might want to apply some balance to your own opinion first.

The plaintiffs identity are protected. The defendants is not. It sets a situation in which anybody can be accused of anything and suffer damages regardless of the merit. That’s all I’ve ever proposed. The nature of civil law protects individuals, but does do at a price to an innocent defendant. I don’t know if Watson’s guilty or not, but he’s due his day in court and due process.

mid ssy I’ve been the LEAST to rush to judgement based off comments from several “pro plaintiff” folks who admit their own bias.

The plaintiffs identity are protected. The defendants is not. It sets a situation in which anybody can be accused of anything and suffer damages regardless of the merit. That’s all I’ve ever proposed. The nature of civil law protects individuals, but does do at a price to an innocent defendant. I don’t know if Watson’s guilty or not, but he’s due his day in court and due process.

mid ssy I’ve been the LEAST to rush to judgement based off comments from several “pro plaintiff” folks who admit their own bias.
Nah, dude. I’ve got the lock on “least to rush to judgement.” Haha!

Did you read the complaint? How could she “consent by definition” ??? What is wrong with you? Do you even understand how horribly toxic that sounds?

Her testimony was she was terrified and even defecated on herself. That Watson got up and put his clothes on and just left.

I don’t think you have read any of these complaints.

If true that’s horrible. But it has to be PROVEN. Just because it’s what she says doesn’t mean it’s true. I’m trying to get you past your admitted bias. How you process this is what makes the court of public opinion so toxic. Trust me, I’d he’s found guilty of one of these allegations, I’d like to see him punished. But until he’s FOUND GUILTY I’m going to reserve judgement. I won’t be influenced by the strategy of the plaintiff attorney. In the court of public opinion.

Fair enough... so have you read the complaints?

no just a summary in an ESPN article. I don’t really need to see them. The release to public serves no purpose other than to flames of public opinion.

Ok.. again fair enough. It’s at 11 and probably 12 by the end of the day. I think,you should read them. It might give you a better perspective.

Funny side note... Texan fans wondering what kind of compensation they will get from the NFL in the form of draft picks for Watson if Watson gets suspended. You just can’t make up how stupid that is. I’m pretty sure you don’t get comp picks for a suspended player no matter how good he is.

I even think the Texans could have civil exposure in this because they may have known and did nothing.

Now it’s 13 cases...

“ All but two of the suits involve plaintiffs who say they were contacted for massage appointments in 2020. The other two incidents, also involving massage therapists, allegedly occurred in January and March of 2021.
The suits allege Watson forced two women to perform oral sex, ejaculated in front of three women and on another, groped a woman’s vagina and buttocks and kissed another woman unprompted upon arrival for an appointment. Eleven of the 13 publicly available suits accuse Watson of inappropriately touching women with his penis. One alleges that at the end of a massage, after trying to direct a woman to touch his anus, Watson exposed himself and asked if she "did more" than professional work "for more money."

If true that’s horrible. But it has to be PROVEN. Just because it’s what she says doesn’t mean it’s true. I’m trying to get you past your admitted bias. How you process this is what makes the court of public opinion so toxic. Trust me, I’d he’s found guilty of one of these allegations, I’d like to see him punished. But until he’s FOUND GUILTY I’m going to reserve judgement. I won’t be influenced by the strategy of the plaintiff attorney. In the court of public opinion.

Me and this guy fully agree on your public opinion point.

The court of public opinion is generally wrong and presumptuous.

Public opinion, including my own can get F***d. It only has negative value.

Ok.. again fair enough. It’s at 11 and probably 12 by the end of the day. I think,you should read them. It might give you a better perspective.

Funny side note... Texan fans wondering what kind of compensation they will get from the NFL in the form of draft picks for Watson if Watson gets suspended. You just can’t make up how stupid that is. I’m pretty sure you don’t get comp picks for a suspended player no matter how good he is.

I even think the Texans could have civil exposure in this because they may have known and did nothing.
It’s incentive to employ former criminals that may not be done in the game. (Criminal game)

Just imagine a team with 3-4 guys that went back to prison and they’re cheering because they got compensatory picks for it.

@wrench248 may comment further but to PROVE rape, you have to demonstrate penetration without consent.

“The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.”

And as I mentioned in a prior post, that brings up the definition of consent:

“The term “consent” means a freely given agreement to the conduct at issue by a competent person. An expression of lack of consent through words or conduct means there is no consent. Lack of verbal or physical resistance does not constitute consent.”

so the idea that DW made a woman feel like she had no other choice but to provide oral sex or he would “break her career”is going to require a lot of other evidence. And she’ll need to have that statement indisputedly recorded to withstand defense attempts to discredit the authenticity.

as far as a medical exam, by the old definition of rape, it was the standard form of evidence for attaining a conviction. By the new definition, it’s a standard to prove the event occurred in conjunction with the lack of consent.

as far as “rape” is concerned, I stand by my former statement that a medical exam is necessary evidence if you’re going PROVE rape.

The offense of sexual assault is located within Texas Penal Code Section 22.011. Texas also has an aggravated sexual assault statute in Texas Penal Code Section 22.021.

A hypothetical offense of forced oral sodomy against another adult is most likely to be charged under Section 22.011(a)(1)(B).

22.011(b) lists the various ways a sexual assault under 22.011(a)(1) is without the consent of the other person.

The Texas Penal Code also defines consent as "assent in fact, whether express or apparent." Texas Penal Code Section 1.07(a)(11).

Under Texas law, the State does not have to offer evidence of a medical examination in order to prove any sexual offense allegation. Such evidence would help, but not having it isn't necessarily fatal to a State's case. Think of child sexual assault cases where there is almost never any medical evidence. The testimony of the sexual assault complainant alone is sufficient to prove an allegation of sexual assault so long as the testimony meets every element of the offense as alleged and the jury believes it beyond a reasonable doubt. See Garcia v. State, 563 S.W.2d 925, 928 (Tex. Crim. App. 1978). In Texas, we call this the one-witness rule (and it applies to all cases). See also Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Article 38.07 (stating that a conviction for aggravated sexual assault is "supportable on the uncorroborated testimony" of a child complainant) and Vilarreal v. State, 470 S.W.3d 168, 170 (Tex. App.--Austin 2015, no pet.). Basically, if a complainant testifies that someone did xy and z, and it meets all of the elements as alleged in an indictment for sexual assault, and the jury believes it beyond a reasonable doubt, then the conviction would stand. In most criminal trials in Texas, when the allegations are pretty much dependent on the testimony of the alleged complainant, the State will ask potential jurors about the one witness rule. I would imagine that if a potential juror told said that they needed medical evidence to convict an individual for sexual assault, the State would follow up with a series of questions designed to try to get that individual challenged for cause.

"The jury is the sole judge of credibility and weight to be attached to the testimony of witnesses." Dobbs v. State, 434 S.W.3d 166, 170 (Tex. Crim. App. 2014). It's up to each individual juror to assess this and come to a verdict. What I mean by this, is that jurors are given a great deal of discretion in deciding who to believe and what they think is sufficient evidence. Finally, jurors are not given a definition of beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal case, so it's up to them to decide what it means to them. In civil cases, jurors would be given a definition of preponderance of the evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back