Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: Tennessee Titans Coach Jeff Fisher believes rookie QB Vince Young is the future of his team. However, he also knows he has a QB on the roster now who gives him the best chance to get the Titans back on track of winning. "My job is to win now," Fisher said on Tuesday, "and the guy who gives me the best chance to do that is Steve. So, yeah, I'd love to try to figure out a way to keep him here if there's any way it can be worked out." He isn't optimistic that a new deal will happen with talk of McNair being traded to the Ravens or released soon to free up $10 million against the cap in '06. But he holds out hope that owner Bud Adams may realize that, as with a certain other quarterback he drafted 11 years ago, the best way to facilitate Young's prospects for success is to have him sit and watch while a veteran leads the team.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

talk about a slap in the face to Volek. Fisher is way to loyal to the players. He wants them to stay until they drop over dead.

Ewker said:
talk about a slap in the face to Volek. Fisher is way to loyal to the players. He wants them to stay until they drop over dead.
Do you honestly think Volek gives the Titans a better chance to win over McNair?

TitanJeff said:
Do you honestly think Volek gives the Titans a better chance to win over McNair?

Honestly, I've been wondering about this myself. Why is it that McNair gives the Titans a better chance to win over Volek? The Titans only won 4 games last year. Sure, there were a lot of issues with the team including the new offense, but when Volek had his only one start of the season and looked bad, everyone was blaming him. McNair looked kind of rusty the whole season, making inaccurate throws, bad decisions, etc. and he doesn't run anymore. Volek seems to be injury prone, but so does McNair.

So I'm wondering, what's McNair's edge over Volek right now?

I saw Volek play against the Cardinals last season, and I'm not sure what anybody sees in him becasue he sucked. Not only did he lose the game, he got hurt and had to leave the game. I'd definitely feel better with Steve under center.

Ewker said:

ok lets be serious here man

because the difference between us with steve starting @ QB and billy starting for us is like night and day

no way you compare the two...

whether you want to here it or not, mac9 gives us the best chance to win the most ball games this year

get off the haterade man

That's quite simple. McNair was league MVP a few years ago. Was Volek? No. Will he ever be? No.

That's not a knock on Volek. Most QB's in this league...starters or backups...will NEVER be league MVP.

The offense had a lot of problems last year starting with the OL. Both McNair and Volek also learning a new offense and not having a running game or a heathly receiving corp hurts quite a bit.

With Roos moving to LT and the addition of Mawae, you have to hope the OL is improved. Add in LenDale to the run game and it could help a LOT!

With McNair and Volek in their second year under Chow and at least 2 decent WR's and Troupe, the passing attack could be a strength - especially if they can use it more off play-action instead of carrying the offense (because of a bad run attack).

And in case you might have overlooked this...despite being a bit rusty, no run game to speak of, a pourous OL and a new offense, McNair still had a QB rating of 85 or better in 8 of his 14 starts. Some of those are against the best D's in the NFL. Volek's only start was against Arizona...not exactly a defensive powerhouse and his stats were not good.

What leads you to believe McNair and Volek would give us an equal chance for success? Volek's only real success was beating up the worse d's in the league a few years back.

To be successful in this league, you need to be able to play at a high level against the better/best defenses in the league. McNair has and can do this. Volek has not shown he can do it.

Gut

aloving77 said:
I saw Volek play against the Cardinals last season, and I'm not sure what anybody sees in him becasue he sucked. Not only did he lose the game, he got hurt and had to leave the game. I'd definitely feel better with Steve under center.

Yeah...he did not play well...but don't put Volek's injury on HIS ability....he was blown up by a guy who came in completely unblocked. I am amazed he got up much less was able to get off the field. According to my better half, who was at that game, it looked even worse in person!

I keep wondering what we the fans would be saying if 2 games into the season Steve was to hurt is back or ankle and be back to playing hobbled and immobile like he has in the last couple of years. He has not been stellar in those situations.

I am torn on the McNair issue. I want to see him play and retire a Titan...but I have heard so much "this is just business" from the McNair camp that I have decided I have to look at it that way. McNair cannot expect the fans to weep for his departure when his justification for leaving is "its just business". If it is just business then see ya. I will wrap my emotions around the glory years and justify his release/trade with the mediocre performance of the last couple.

Volek is HORRENDOUS!

If Mac is gone, I'm all for them signing Collins if need be. ANYTHING but Volek.

Yeah, that Cardinals game last year ... woo baby, he's downright awful.

titanbuoy said:
Ewk, I'm really beginning to doubt whether or not even you yourself believe the crap you post. I think you just get off on being contrarian.

Amen brother....glad I'm not the only one who thinks that....:))

McNair certainly gives us a much better chance of winning than Volek or for that matter Collins or anyone else we can bring in. It also will make VY a better qb and he will be on the field much sooner if Steve is in Tennessee.He will be talking to VY after every time he comes off the field and if Steve is here and gets injured he will be a coach on the sidelines for VY. If we kind find anyway to keep him we should even if we have to suffer cap hell this year we will have plenty of cap room next year. If it comes to McNair or being able to sign Plummer Ill take the depth at qb over cb anytime. If we dont keep him and he has a Pro Bowl year in Baltimore this year I hope all the fans who said let him go for one reason or another dont start bashing the FO for not handling the situation very well.

We should try and keep Mcnair, but if we are not able, please dont bring another veteran qb, give Volek a shot and with the additional cap bring in additional help for the defense, we need a dominant D.

I'm with Fisher, but..........
If I came across an extra $50K, lets say.........I could buy my wife a new Mercedes and I still drive the Jeep. However, I can't buy 2 Mercedes with that budget.
Stupid analogy I know....point is we don't have the $$$$$$ to have them both (unless McNair comes WAY down in what he wants).

Mc MVP won the MVP 3 years ago. That is ancient history. Billy Volek won games for us a few years back when mac was too busy chilling on the sidelines. He only got one chance last year,and didn't do well, so everyone thinks he is horrendous. I don't know which games you all were watching last year, but in the ones I saw, Mcnair looked like crap. He held on to the ball forever, and when he finally let it go, it was way off target. I don't know why everybody has to start hating on Billy all of a sudden.
Like we have a good chance of winning with McNair? Right. We had about 14 or 15 games to win with him last year, but he couldn't do it. He's past his prime, but everyone is too busy being stuck up his butt to know otherwise. Not only is he past his prime, he is also not dedicated. He didn't practice last year hardly at all. He hasn't been a "warrior" since '03. Now he's soft, and ready to take the bench when anything comes up.

Alright, go ahead and rip this apart. go for it. There's my 2 cents.

nickmsmith said:
Mc MVP won the MVP 3 years ago. That is ancient history. Billy Volek won games for us a few years back when mac was too busy chilling on the sidelines. He only got one chance last year,and didn't do well, so everyone thinks he is horrendous. I don't know which games you all were watching last year, but in the ones I saw, Mcnair looked like crap. He held on to the ball forever, and when he finally let it go, it was way off target. I don't know why everybody has to start hating on Billy all of a sudden.
Like we have a good chance of winning with McNair? Right. We had about 14 or 15 games to win with him last year, but he couldn't do it. He's past his prime, but everyone is too busy being stuck up his butt to know otherwise. Not only is he past his prime, he is also not dedicated. He didn't practice last year hardly at all. He hasn't been a "warrior" since '03. Now he's soft, and ready to take the bench when anything comes up.

Alright, go ahead and rip this apart. go for it. There's my 2 cents.

You and Ewker should pair up and ride off into the sunset.....:))

Ok, people do we really have to go to one extreme or the other. I hate Mac and love Volek or I hate Volek and love Mac. Yes McNair is past his prime and struggled at times last year but if you look at his numbers he had a very respectable season. Volek has one bad outing last year but again only really had one outing. You can't really make a lot out of that. He has had some very good games in the past. The reality is that McNair though not what he use to be, maybe more soft, maybe less willing to run whatever, still gives us the best shot to win. Volek, however, is not HORRENDOUS and is certainly serviceable for a year at least. McNair is the better of the two and I don't think you can really make a reasonable case that he isn't. But Volek can fill the void adequately if Mac is gone and we don't bring someone like Collins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back