Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
I'd like to get ideas on how to fix this D for the playoffs. Since it is for the playoffs, solutions shouldn't involve:
  • Draft picks
  • Free agents
  • Hiring a defensive coordinator
I'm looking for current personnel, different schemes, strategies, coverages and innovative blitz packages.

I saw the team try an interesting front 7 package a few times yesterday where they only had 2 down linemen and rushed 3 OLB's (#52, #57, and Landry). It was a change up and the D did have 3 sacks yesterday. What gets the Titans in trouble outside of a non existent pass rush is WR's and TE's on crossing routs. This poses a problem because with a lack of a pass rush, these crossing routes have the time to develop and they are almost impossible to defend (they are basically "rub routes" or pick plays). The best way to counter this is to get more pass rush. Innovations like what they did on yesterday is a good start.

Hire Dean Pees as a D consultant

Whatever we did to get those 3 sacks...although Texans were without LT....keep doing it

Ive said it a few times but I think this D has been holding back for this time of the season

This is mostly the same group we had in the first half of 2019 when our D was impressive, surely they didnt just fall off this hard since then....

Jayon Brown was on the bus with Comp and Evans and he dismissed a question with "thats just our scheme". As if he was saying we purposely let guys run between the 20s then tighten up when it matters.

I think we see some new stuff vs the Ravens next Sunday..

You're not going to see much different, IMO, from what we saw the last two times the Titans faced the Ravens.

They'll spy Jackson with different players. The DL will stay in their lanes. They'll want to get an early lead to force the Ravens to pass.

Blitz Adoree every play keep him from leaving players wide open, he just isn’t 100% and he’s getting beat almost every play

Stop the run..take away the middle of the field...Butler on Brown, he's inconsistent downfield.

Boykin plays well though when Brown covered

You can’t fix it without adding or subtracting personnel. If they could, they would have by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Devoted Titans fan here, but with our D, we're not built to go deep into the playoffs. Waaay too late to fix. No pass rush. Too many player losses/issues. No Dean Pees. We struggled with Houston?? We'll be uber-lucky to get past Ravens.

At this point, there really isn't that can be done to change this defense beyond maybe blitzing more. However, the Titans actually blitz at a rate that is middle of the pack for NFL teams, so even then, I don't see that as making much of a difference.

The defense is what it is, a liability. Just have to hope the offense is set to put up 35+ points in every game from here on out and the special teams doesn't make any major mistakes. Even then, this may not be enough

Ive said it a few times but I think this D has been holding back for this time of the season

This is mostly the same group we had in the first half of 2019 when our D was impressive, surely they didnt just fall off this hard since then....

Jayon Brown was on the bus with Comp and Evans and he dismissed a question with "thats just our scheme". As if he was saying we purposely let guys run between the 20s then tighten up when it matters.

who holds back for 16 games lol

With jackson and fulton back, even tho they aren't 100%, we should be using dbs way more in blitzes. We have a few guys that can be effective blitzing out of the secondary. We are going to really need these guys to step up in the pass rush game

I can't disagree. Yesterday I think was a dress rehearsal of 20% of what we are going to roll out to confuse LJax.

If we can get off the field on third downs, and our turnover luck continues to be a huge positive, that should be enough to allow us to compete with anyone given our offense and ability to shorten games.

However if we're losing turnover battles, we're probably toast.

Guys, this defense sucks. There’s no magical switch they can flip to make them better.

Winning the turnover battle is the only way we have a chance, which means the offense has to play perfect and the D has to get lucky. That’s not something you wanna bank on every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back