Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get ideas on how to fix this D for the playoffs. Since it is for the playoffs, solutions shouldn't involve:
  • Draft picks
  • Free agents
  • Hiring a defensive coordinator
I'm looking for current personnel, different schemes, strategies, coverages and innovative blitz packages.

I saw the team try an interesting front 7 package a few times yesterday where they only had 2 down linemen and rushed 3 OLB's (#52, #57, and Landry). It was a change up and the D did have 3 sacks yesterday. What gets the Titans in trouble outside of a non existent pass rush is WR's and TE's on crossing routs. This poses a problem because with a lack of a pass rush, these crossing routes have the time to develop and they are almost impossible to defend (they are basically "rub routes" or pick plays). The best way to counter this is to get more pass rush. Innovations like what they did on yesterday is a good start.
We actually had 4 sacks - Landry, King, Reed, and Crawford.

i would rather blitz Byard...he is worthless back there this year...comstantly out of position.
Good point! He has been awful this year. He didn’t seem like the type to quit hustling when he got paid, so I want to say losing Coombs/pees hurt him but I don’t know

we should try tackling, sacking the QB occasionally, take the ball away sometimes and cover the guys running around that the QB is attempting to throw to.

Got to make the Ravens drive the ball the length of the field....can’t give up the easy quick strike TD. Contain and confuse Lamar.

The titans defense just scares the s**t out of me. We get zero pressure on the QB. But maybe that's not a bad thing against Lamar. Just contain him and make him throw.

My eyes tell me that we played less soft zone and more man coverage last season, and used db blitzes more often. Maybe Vrabel wasn’t comfortable with that after losing Ryan to fa and Adoree to injury. Would like to see us get back to that though.

My eyes tell me that we played less soft zone and more man coverage last season, and used db blitzes more often. Maybe Vrabel wasn’t comfortable with that after losing Ryan to fa and Adoree to injury. Would like to see us get back to that though.

interesting because they kept saying during the Texans game how the Titans play more man than many other teams this year. We dont have the players, other than Butler, or the safeties to play that so much.

One analyst suggested that the titans get into trouble because they try too hard to disguise their coverages and blitzes. On the last Texans drive where they completed the long pass behind Adoree, the analyst said that he was playing his zone too shallow. He may have been trying to make it look like man pre-snap and couldn't get back into his zone in time. Also, in the AFC Champ game last year, the analysts kept saying that the Titans D had a good game plan in place against MaHomes with the single high zones and disguises, but the players were out of position so much trying to disguise the coverages. Maybe they are over thinking on D, and that's why they are so ineffective. Maybe Vrabel will simplify things for the playoffs.

One analyst suggested that the titans get into trouble because they try too hard to disguise their coverages and blitzes. On the last Texans drive where they completed the long pass behind Adoree, the analyst said that he was playing his zone too shallow. He may have been trying to make it look like man pre-snap and couldn't get back into his zone in time. Also, in the AFC Champ game last year, the analysts kept saying that the Titans D had a good game plan in place against MaHomes with the single high zones and disguises, but the players were out of position so much trying to disguise the coverages. Maybe they are over thinking on D, and that's why they are so ineffective. Maybe Vrabel will simplify things for the playoffs.

That makes sense because it seems like their would always be a Titan "in the area" but never in position to force an incompletion.

As disappointing as Clowney was, I wonder how much of a difference a healthy Clowney would have made against someone like Lamar Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back