Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money/Profit are all that matter.

Players bring in the money, coaches do not. Gruden likely being forced to resign by the NFL isn't some indication of them taking the high road or doing the right thing, it's a sign of them doing what they perceive is best for their bottom line.

In this instance, the NFL is in line with the general public's proper outrage over the things Gruden wrote. The costs of him resigning clearly do not outweigh the benefits (positive media attention) to the NFL. However, as we have seen, when NFL players make themselves the target of public outrage for their deplorable (and sometimes illegal behavior), the NFL turns a blind eye and doesn't care about the public outrage. The cost to the NFL outweighs the benefit in that instance.

This all came down to the almighty dollar.

Of course a question that I like to ask is why isn't ESPN drawing more scrutiny? Gruden was employed by them during these emails it appears. Was he using their email address to send this crap out, was he on their time? Did they know about it? I ask this because ESPN sure is portraying outrage in their coverage, but conveniently ignores Gruden was their employee.

Then why did Gruden sign the largest coaching contract in NFL history? Why are any coaches paid if they don’t bring money to the team? Winning brings money. Coaches are apart of that.

Then why did Gruden sign the largest coaching contract in NFL history? Why are any coaches paid if they don’t bring money to the team? Winning brings money. Coaches are apart of that.

Fans pay money to watch players play, especially the great players. Players are the face of the league and the average fan couldn’t name most head coaches or even their salaries. In all honesty, I’m not even sure what Vrabel makes compared to other NFL coaches.

Players bring in more money to a team than any coach ever would. That’s why the NFL is hypocritical in regards to player behavior compared to coaches.

I can’t explain gruden getting the contract he got other than mark davis is an idiot.

Fans pay money to watch players play, especially the great players. Players are the face of the league and the average fan couldn’t name most head coaches or even their salaries. In all honesty, I’m not even sure what Vrabel makes compared to other NFL coaches.

Players bring in more money to a team than any coach ever would. That’s why the NFL is hypocritical in regards to player behavior compared to coaches.

I can’t explain gruden getting the contract he got other than mark davis is an idiot.

No one is saying players don’t bring in money. My question is why are any coaches paid money if they don’t bring in money to the team? That’s flat out wrong.

No one is saying players don’t bring in money. My question is why are any coaches paid money if they don’t bring in money to the team? That’s flat out wrong.

My point wasn't about teams individually, it was about the NFL as a whole. So you're question doesn't really go to anything I wrote, per se.

Again, people watch the players, they bring in the majority of the revenue to the NFL as a whole. Without superstar players, nobody watches the NFL. Individual teams of course value good coaches, they should as good coaches can make players better. But most NFL fans do not watch football because of the head coach.

If those emails had been written by a player, would the NFL have even given a damn? The individual team may have, but the NFL itself? Likely not, even if the same public pressure had been applied.

Even in this situation, the Raiders as an organization appeared to be willing to let Gruden keep his job. The NFL itself (i.e. Goodell) likely put the pressure on that ultimately forced Gruden to resign.

Fans pay to watch their team win regardless which players are on the field.
A better coach and better players (or even just perceived better) increases profit.

I’d say most fans enjoy watching the game (players) but enjoy it more when the product is winning, coach plays into that.
I also think most fans can name their favorite team’s HC, maybe none of the assistants, but I don’t think many know their salaries partly because it’s not against the salary cap.

We are in full agreement about the hypocrisy though or maybe not hypocrisy, but a definite lack of consistency among the picking and choosing.

Fans pay to watch their team win regardless which players are on the field.
A better coach and better players (or even just perceived better) increases profit.

I’d say most fans enjoy watching the game (players) but enjoy it more when the product is winning, coach plays into that.
I also think most fans can name their favorite team’s HC, maybe none of the assistants, but I don’t think many know their salaries partly because it’s not against the salary cap.

We are in full agreement about the hypocrisy though or maybe not hypocrisy, but a definite lack of consistency among the picking and choosing.

I think if we asked the NFL they would say they have been completely consistent, lol.

My point wasn't about teams individually, it was about the NFL as a whole. So you're question doesn't really go to anything I wrote, per se.

Again, people watch the players, they bring in the majority of the revenue to the NFL as a whole. Without superstar players, nobody watches the NFL. Individual teams of course value good coaches, they should as good coaches can make players better. But most NFL fans do not watch football because of the head coach.

If those emails had been written by a player, would the NFL have even given a damn? The individual team may have, but the NFL itself? Likely not, even if the same public pressure had been applied.

Even in this situation, the Raiders as an organization appeared to be willing to let Gruden keep his job. The NFL itself (i.e. Goodell) likely put the pressure on that ultimately forced Gruden to resign.

You said coaches do not bring in profit. That is flat out false. Again, there’s a reason these coaches are paid millions per year. You can keep doubling down but it doesn’t change the fact you’re wrong

Wow. It’s hard for me to believe a person actually believes what you’ve written.

He’s exactly right. People have always been held accountable for their words. This has nothing to do with muh fReEdOm oF sPeEcH. Just trying too hard to fit this into an agenda.

Irony: People arguing about Gruden’s freedom of speech on a message board where if you said the same things Gruden did about another member, you would be held accountable :funnynot:

You said coaches do not bring in profit. That is flat out false. Again, there’s a reason these coaches are paid millions per year. You can keep doubling down but it doesn’t change the fact you’re wrong
I think coaches attract certain players in FA...it's the players that bring in fans though..so indirectly coaches bring in profit..I'm guessing fans are fans of players more than the coaches.

I think coaches attract certain players in FA...it's the players that bring in fans though..so indirectly coaches bring in profit..I'm guessing fans are fans of players more than the coaches.

Yep. And coaches also develop the players and help the players perform on Sunday. Thus leading to wins and revenue, which of course lead to profit.

Irony: People arguing about Gruden’s freedom of speech on a message board where if you said the same things Gruden did about another member, you would be held accountable :funnynot:
Another one missing the point.

Just like this site, the email system Jon Gruden was using had a user agreement, so no, this isn’t a freedom of speech issue with the possible connection of consistent enforcement.
The enforcement is extremely subjective, with no given criteria likely on purpose to continue shifting “the line” of what should/should not enforce.

If you’re not going to enforce equally, stop enforcing at all. If you are going to enforce equally, let’s get some specific guidelines drawn and start holding people accountable (all of them).
When those specific guidelines of enforcement are actually determined and enforced equally, then the discussions about freedom of speech can be discussed on where those guidelines are set.

Agree fans are more fans of players over coaches. I don’t know that anyone would argue differently but coaches, just being hired to an overall crap team, with no star power, will still increase revenue if there is a positive reputation. Coaches can directly increase profits.

Another one missing the point.

Just like this site, the email system Jon Gruden was using had a user agreement, so no, this isn’t a freedom of speech issue with the possible connection of consistent enforcement.
The enforcement is extremely subjective, with no given criteria likely on purpose to continue shifting “the line” of what should/should not enforce.

If you’re not going to enforce equally, stop enforcing at all. If you are going to enforce equally, let’s get some specific guidelines drawn and start holding people accountable (all of them).
When those specific guidelines of enforcement are actually determined and enforced equally, then the discussions about freedom of speech can be discussed on where those guidelines are set.

That’s like arguing against Ray Rice’s suspension because he was the woman beater dumb enough to do it in public on video. We don’t own these communications. That’s the point.

If you think subjectivity is unusual, you’re gonna be real disappointed when you move outta mama’s basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back