Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soxcat said:
Let me get this right. Now Volek is the reason we lost so many games in 2004? If Volek could put up the kind of numbers he did in 2004 (he played in only 10 games (started 8) and still threw for 2500 yards with 18 TDs you don't think we would be a competitive team? That computes to a 4000 yard season with almost 30 TDs!!!

The Titans defense was 6th from the bottom in the NFL that year. We were 2nd from the bottom in yards per play given up.

Volek put them up against the teams with defenses just as bad as ours, the Broncos had him sorted out.

royhobbs said:
If Billy Volek Is The Starting Qb....................

Can you say 3-13, 4-12, 5-11??? Can you say last place? Can you say bye, bye Jeff Fisher?
If Billy can keep himself from getting injured we can win from the defensive side of the ball now. (pray for Swartzie) Volek knows how to play. He just needs to learn how to keep from getting crushed. He has confidence. He believes that he is a winner. That's huge. This is what Jay Cutler has... that's off topic... point is dang nabbit... don't sell him short when he's playing with an improved team and a new #1/#2 rec. in Givens? Bennett a.k.a. "the two handed glove."

If Billy Volek is the starting quarterback........

Cutler will be starting by week 8. :))

Actually, I believe Volek would be just as good as any vet we can get on the market. I think I could take 1 season with him starting.

wplatham said:
If Billy Volek is the starting quarterback........

Cutler will be starting by week 8. :))

Actually, I believe Volek would be just as good as any vet we can get on the market. I think I could take 1 season with him starting.

:barf::barf::barf:...and then some.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
If Billy can keep himself from getting injured we can win from the defensive side of the ball now. (pray for Swartzie) Volek knows how to play. He just needs to learn how to keep from getting crushed. He has confidence. He believes that he is a winner. That's huge. This is what Jay Cutler has... that's off topic... point is dang nabbit... don't sell him short when he's playing with an improved team and a new #1/#2 rec. in Givens? Bennett a.k.a. "the two handed glove."

They finally got you to drink the Kool-Aid to go along with your banana pancakes. :lol: We will not win more the five games with Volek/Rookie as our starter. Our D would have to be the Bears D (a huge and unlikely transformation....Hope and Thornton are improvements, but not miracle workers) and Henry or Brown would need 1800-2000 yards on the ground. We're turning into the Arizona Cardinals.

Gunny said:
Volek put them up against the teams with defenses just as bad as ours, the Broncos had him sorted out.

He also did it with a godawful OLine. And last season's OLine had him running for his life on every snap.
Thanks BiPolar! I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't throwing bricks at Volek.

btw, what veteran QB's are out there if we do happen to release Steve McNair, we need reassurance

Maddox?
Fielder?

I like Maddox a lot.

The only way Volek has a chance is if our running game becomes really good really fast. I highly doubt that's going to happen. Volek starting = certain death for Titans

Gunny said:

So. Volek has only started 10 games his whole career. Eli Manning has had a few of those games (70 QB rating) and nobody is going to give up on him yet are they?

Volek is a potential problem, because frankly, he can be so good (as proven by his stats) that we could end up with a Philip Rivers situation in 2 years. Volek or Young. Young or Volek. At least with McNair, we pretty much know he's done in 2 years. But Volek has potential, so the transition to a young stud may not be so easy.

As far as Volek vs. McNair...I would tend to lean toward Volek having more potential than McNair right now and he could be the better playa. But honestly, Mason and Wychek made a difference for McNair. So it's not fair to to be critical when the team lost two of it main targets without replacing them.

I don't neccesarily think Volek is the long-trm answer but all the excuses for McNair last year, poor running game, bad OL, no big play WRs or go to guys, new system and OC, not to mention porous defense all should be good excuses for Volek as well.

McNair will not be any better, or will our record if we don't fix some of those problems. We will have two CBs who are not rookies anymore, a better safety combo and more athleticism at LB. Hopefully we can keep the offenses from running all over us again.

We signed a vet WR and Calico should be healed not to mention 2nd yr WRs that are healthy . Hopefully Henry and Brown will be more effective behind an improved OL. It wouldn't surprise me at all if our 2nd round pick was an OL or RB. Prior to FA it looked like we would go crazy for defense in the draft but now after signing KVB, a LB and S we might see much more focus on the O.

Soxcat said:
So. Volek has only started 10 games his whole career. Eli Manning has had a few of those games (70 QB rating) and nobody is going to give up on him yet are they?
Eli's last name is Manning, Eli is only 25. Billy V. is 28 or 29.

Soxcat said:
And your point is?
The reason people arent willing to give up Eli is because he is young and has a decade plus left to play(barring a major injury). Volek only has 3-5 years left in him. If you building a franchise, do you want a long term, possible hall of famer, or do you want a journeyman QB that is nearly 30 hasnt been a full time starter.

Again I don't understand your point. We are really only talking about Volek being a stop gap until the franchise guy is ready which could take a couple of years. As far as jumping off a bridge because Volek might be the starter is a little drastic considering the guy might do fairly well if he is the #1 guy and gets a chance to play. Basically he is not any more experienced than a 2nd or 3rd year guy based on the number of games he has started. 2004 was about the same as his rookie year and he did well. He only started one game last year. He has had a year under Chow and appears to have better WRs this year and hopefully the running game will be improved. If our OL, running game and WRs don't improve over last year it will not matter who our starting QB is we will be picking in the top 10 of the draft again anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back