Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Titans draft Cutler or another QB in the first, can they afford to have McNairs money and a first round picks money tied up in one postion for a year or 2?

If we draft a rookie early, we're going to need a veteran to mentor him. So the salary cap tied up at QB isn't really an issue. Especially since picking a QB at #6 wouldn't be any more expensive overall than any other position we'd take there.

Starkiller said:
If we draft a rookie early, we're going to need a veteran to mentor him. So the salary cap tied up at QB isn't really an issue. Especially since picking a QB at #6 wouldn't be any more expensive overall than any other position we'd take there.

Right, but I mean can we have that much money tied up in one postion just sitting when maybe we could get an impact player at another position LB, or Saftey?

With QBs, you draft for the future rather than for that year. So while you could get an immediate impact player at another position, that also means you give up the chance to add a franchise QB.

Did the Bengals pick wrong when they took Carson Palmer just because he sat for a year? He's better now than anyone else in the top 15 that year.

As for the money, I don't think it factors in. It's roughly the same amount of money no matter who you draft. It doesn't matter how it breaks down from position to position.

Titanpride said:
There are many teams that are grading Jay Cutler ahead of Matt Leinart.

and you'll probably see more of that as we entire the combines
Jay just looks like he has better mechanics
and just some uncanny instincts - unteachable stuff

put Jay on USC and you'd probably get similar or better results
put Matt on Vandy and you get similar to worse results
IMO

I personally feel that Cutler is a better pro prospect than Lienart
BUT, if there's one coach Matt needs it's Chow
Matt's best shot in the pros could very well be here

it's hard - more than likely both will be there if we pick 6th
and neither will be there in the 2nd round

lots of players available early that we need (or like)
D'Brickashaw while not a sexy pick is probably the most prudent
AJ HAwk is a nice bar room brawl pick
Cutler would be a city-wide favorite regardless of where he's picked
Lienart would be a fan pick especially if we trade back and still get him

lots of options,.... so little picks

Now Frank Whycheck is on the Jay Cutler bandwagon. These guys are just now saying what ive been thinking for months now. Now some "draft experts" say Jay could go in the top 10.

i havent seen him play but I remember early in the season when he first came up he was meant to be a 2nd rounder, now he is looked at as a possible top 10.

Has he always been good or has he broken out this season?
how many years has he started at Vandy?

He was a 4 year starter at Vandy. He had a breakout season this year, but honestly he was pretty good last year even though he didn't have stats to show it. He probably would have been drafted in about the 5th round and considered coming out early.

Titanpride said:
I would have absolutely no problem drafting Cutler w/our first pick... I almost look forward to the thought of it.

Okay, fine, but trade back a few picks and pick up some draft picks for this and next year's draft. Maybe be trade down to around 18-20 and pick up a third rounder this year and a first or second next year.

Puck said:
Matt's also had a MUCH better supporting cast
That may be true but you still have to perform. Matt wins games under preasure. A LOT! They wouldn't be undefeated if it weren't for him, IMO. I like Jay and I certainly wouldn't be disappoitned if the Titans got him. I just think Leinhart has more to offer. You can teach football but you can't teach a guy to make big plays under preasure and he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can make big plays under the most expreme preasure.

Jay has certainly won games under pressure, true not to the extreme that Leinart has. But when you have Reggie Bush to fall back on its certainly easier. Watch Vanderbilt highlights from Wake Forest, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and especially Tennessee. All games won in the last drives.

Not arguing with that. You have to understand I'm a big ND fan and I pooped myself when Matt made that pass for 60yds when it was 4th and 9 with the game on the line. Pretty impressive. Then on the other hand, Jay is and Indiana boy that grew up in Santa Claus IN which isn't to far from where I'm from so I guess he's alright too. Hell, I'd just be excited to get a good QB for the future.

rcarie said:
Hell, I'd just be excited to get a good QB for the future.

I'm sure there'll be fans of both (I'm staunchly in the Vince Young camp, provided he comes out...), but for the record, I'll be happy for anything that helps "us" win again. Whatever that move proves to be...

danny said:
Okay, fine, but trade back a few picks and pick up some draft picks for this and next year's draft. Maybe be trade down to around 18-20 and pick up a third rounder this year and a first or second next year.
Cutler may not be there come the mid part of round one (1)... theres a good chance he could go in the top ten (10), fifteen (15).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back