Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I am starting to get really scared by some of the numbers that are being tossed around. People always said that Manning has never left a single dollar on the table, but I thought he might give a team a deal so he can have the best possible shot at a Super Bowl. Doesn't sound like it.

It's a huge mistake for the Titans to commit that much guaranteed money to a guy with as many question marks as Manning, IMO. Maybe if he was the final piece to a Super Bowl team (like in San Fran), but not with so many holes on defense and a potential franchise QB already on the roster.

You guys realize how contracts work right? Where a guy signs for say 4 years, 100mil (for instance) with 50-60 guaranteed, if he doesn't do what we are BRINGING HIM HERE to do, he won't get that full amount.
Do you realize how contracts work?

What do you think guaranteed money is? It's money that a player is guaranteed to get no matter how poorly he plays or how hurt he is.

The Titans need to bail and FAST before we get sucked into Floyd Reese cap hell. MVP-era Peyton (without injuries) would have been worth it but now, he's just not. I hope you're all coming to that realization.

Let's say McCourty, Griffin and Cook come in next year and DOMINATE...well, their contracts are up in 2013 and we couldn't possibly sign them with Manning's salary. Rob Bironas's contract is also up...

THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE. It's name is Jake Locker.

I'm outta h5s.

Why wouldn't this have a lot to do with money? Peyton may love the game but, if everything else is close, he'd be insane to not get as much money as someone was willing to pay.

And don't think Bud's offer to make him part owners or someone in the front office will be a deciding factor because you can bet Indy will offer him the same thing once he retires.

I have to think this is more about the amount of control he'll have on the offense and the talent on the rosters.

I have to think this is more about the amount of control he'll have on the offense and the talent on the rosters.

At this point we have a better line (if we sign Wells), a better RB, better TE's and better WR's. They are completely outmatched on offense. Period.

That being said, it scares me to know that because I do not want Manning.

Well, I think that, like it or not here, Bud wants this guy. We are already in the stupid money phase with Denver here, and the only way we get out is if Denver can do more within their cap parameters than we can, and Peyton goes for the money (which I fully expect him to do).

Folks here want him...by a 2-1 margin. Be careful what you wish for, because it is this strong fan support (shown as evidenced by what we see here) that is motivating Bud here IMO.

I was all about Manning when I thought we would be getting him on an incentive-laden contract with manageable guaranteed cash, but now that it seems like we're gonna have to pay him more than the contract he had with the Colts.... I'm getting a bit iffy here.

I'm worn out. At first I didn't want him, then I did want him, and now I don't even know what to think.

I was all about Manning when I thought we would be getting him on an incentive-laden contract with manageable guaranteed cash, but now that it seems like we're gonna have to pay him more than the contract he had with the Colts.... I'm getting a bit iffy here.

I'm worn out. At first I didn't want him, then I did want him, and now I don't even know what to think.

I am just amazed that folks are actually surprised that it is where it is now....

Manning wants the money. Why do you think he took the $90MM deal last year, knowing his actual health condition.

Did people REALLY think that he was going to become charitable NOW?

Manning to the Titans just doesn't make sense.

We have a more than decent QB in Matt Hasselbeck and a very talented QB in Jake Locker. There is no need to strengthen that position because we have been set at QB since Munchak took over.

Yes, at times the offense looked stagnant last year; however, I believe that was due to many different things (abysmal O-line play, an anemic rushing attack and major miscommunications between a new QB and his WR's). Did Hasselbeck play perfect football? No. Did Locker? No. They did what was asked of them and they went above and beyond expectations. That doesn't warrant a quarterback change. If Britt would have been healthy, there isn't a doubt in my mind that we would have made the playoffs.

I believe that the money Manning is requesting is fine if you're a team that's missing one piece of the puzzle (49ers, Ravens, Broncos) but not for a team that has a depleted defensive line, two young and inconsistent CB's and questionable play from it's safeties. This isn't a good fit for us because, like it or not, we are NOT a contender yet. We have too many things we have to fix and at this point, wasting money on Manning would hinder our chances at fixing some of these things over the next couple of years.

I'm out of H5's again, but you will get a beer five in its place ... enjoy

I am just amazed that folks are actually surprised that it is where it is now....

Manning wants the money. Why do you think he took the $90MM deal last year, knowing his actual health condition.

Did people REALLY think that he was going to become charitable NOW?

:beer2:

Manning to the Titans just doesn't make sense.

We have a more than decent QB in Matt Hasselbeck and a very talented QB in Jake Locker. There is no need to strengthen that position because we have been set at QB since Munchak took over.

Yes, at times the offense looked stagnant last year; however, I believe that was due to many different things (abysmal O-line play, an anemic rushing attack and major miscommunications between a new QB and his WR's). Did Hasselbeck play perfect football? No. Did Locker? No. They did what was asked of them and they went above and beyond expectations. That doesn't warrant a quarterback change. If Britt would have been healthy, there isn't a doubt in my mind that we would have made the playoffs.

I believe that the money Manning is requesting is fine if you're a team that's missing one piece of the puzzle (49ers, Ravens, Broncos) but not for a team that has a depleted defensive line, two young and inconsistent CB's and questionable play from it's safeties. This isn't a good fit for us because, like it or not, we are NOT a contender yet. We have too many things we have to fix and at this point, wasting money on Manning would hinder our chances at fixing some of these things over the next couple of years.

:beer2:

This is getting too rich for my blood...

Is anyone else afraid that this "off the books" stuff is going to get us thwacked by goodell one day like the skins and cowgirls?

I wish Bud would say give him a final offer and a deadline to reply. Its more than a fair offer( I would imagine) and the bidding war is about to come to an abrupt halt.

I wish Bud would say give him a final offer and a deadline to reply. Its more than a fair offer( I would imagine) and the bidding war is about to come to an abrupt halt.

I'm starting to wonder if that's not the way to go too. I suspect he may want to e a Titan more than a Bronco or a 49er. That would be one way to find out for sure. I don't see it happening though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back