Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
All those things are why I dumped Windows. And it's not because I'm computer illiterate...it's simply because it never works.

avvie said:
All those things are why I dumped Windows. And it's not because I'm computer illiterate...it's simply because it never works.

if that was the case then it would never sell and i wouldnt be replying right now. :brow:

No, they sell because they're inexpensive and constantly make great promises. But it depends on what you use them for, I guess.

Mine is for music production. Windows and the programs that run on it were nothing but trouble. Apple and Logic work wonderfully. Several tunes tracked and mixed, no problem.

Windows is fine when it's working.

The problem is that it isn't far too often. Either because or a virus, or spyware, or registry error, ar any number of other glitches, things tend to go wrong. And they do seem to go wrong for seemingly no reason at times, not just because of user error.

Simply put, OSX is far more dependable than Windows is...

Puck said:
This is the second most ignorant statement in the history of ignorant statements

but I'd LOVE to hear WHY you think so

I'm guessing it's because if all corporations actually implemented their systems into Macintosh architecture that you'd be out of a job ?

1) I've already written several posts detailing why I prefer Windows, see above.

2) Umm... if all corporations decided to implement for Mac, I would be doing the implementing, so it would just mean more work for me.

Gunny said:
i've never had that either. Big deal.

Me either. However what many fail to realise is that a lot of problems that users attribute to Windows, is in fact due to the huge variation in hardware and drivers that 3rd party developers provide for Windows. Having a fixed hardware setup like the Mac, Xbox, Playstation, etc. means the OS doesn't have to worry about a million different combinations of hardware and drivers. Windows and the Intel x86 standard allows for this diversity, which is what I've always loved about them. I wasn't forced to use a given set of hardware.

I guess the difference is that I love to tinker with my PC, even at the risk of breaking it, and that I due to my work will try to get my hands as far down the belly of the beast as possible. Windows, although not as well as I would like (see Linux), allows for this, and to me belief moreso than Mac.

I'm not saying Mac is bad for internet browsing, photoediting and whatnot, but the diversity in the Windows environment and underlying hardware is what has always interested me.

And stability is what you make of it. Yes pre-2000 versions of Windows had serious stability issues (you could leave a fresh 98 install running by itself for a few weeks and it would crash). However 2000 and above exhibit no instabilities in of itself. However 3rd party hardware and software can lead to instability.

Gunny said:
Better in what way? Runs smoother? more options? better for the advanced user? beginners? I mean it isn't hard to click on Internet Explorer and surf the net.

Isn't Mac hardware and Windows software? Shouldnt you be comparing either Mac vs Microsoft or OSX vs Windows?
Microsoft Office for Mac is actually better than Microsoft Office for Windows.
Mac runs smoother, less viruses, more efficent, and I dont use Internet Explorer unless I have no choice....Mozilla Firefox all the way

Vigsted said:
If so, why are they opening up to the "non-Mac"(so speak) architecture? If so, why are the sales of x86 PC's several times bigger than the Mac?
The reason Apple is opening up to "Non Mac" hardware is because the company that made the G4 processor(forgot the name of the company), refused to make a G5 processor for the iBook. Intel was willing to make processors for Macs and now the MacBook runs as much as 4x faster than a G4 book(says apple.com)

Vigsted said:
Some companies? I'd venture to say it's about 75% of companies that don't develop for Mac. Not because they don't "want" to, but a) because Windows is the more commong operating system and b) because of a lack of developer "support" from Apple. Now to elaborate on what I mean by support, I'd point to the fact that Microsoft spends a lot of resources on tools, documentation and the developer communities for their products in general. I haven't seen the same aggressive commitment from Apple.
Windows is the more common operating system because the older macs werent as user friendly as the newer OSX macs. With the release of OSX, Macs became more user friendly.

My grandfather founded the computer science deptmartment at MTSU and knows computers, he told me that he would pick a Mac anyday over Windows. The only reason he has Windows is when he bought his current computer, the programs he needed were not made for Mac

Gunny said:
wouldn't less viruses have to do with your anti-virus program?
In this case, it's a difference between Macs and PCs. Most Mac users today don't even use anti-virus software and there is no anti-spyware software that I'm aware of.

Currently, it isn't necessary. Not so say that that will always be the case...

well they said the PS2 was going to be un-pirateable. That changed. Things evolve no doubt.

But how does a Mac prevent hackers/viruses?

Gunny said:
well they said the PS2 was going to be un-pirateable. That changed. Things evolve no doubt.

But how does a Mac prevent hackers/viruses?
Macs dont have as many holes in the operating system and currently only a small percentage of computers are running the Mac OS so hackers and virus writers want to effect a large amount so they dont worry with the Mac people.

Part of it is simply the fact that most malware writers want to hit as many people as possible. That means the Windows (with a 90%-95% marketshare) is the obvious choice to go after.

That having been said, OSX is also much more secure. You have to put in your password to install system software, so any virus or spyware would have to either find some way around that (it's possible) or convince people to authorize it's installation.

There was an article in Consumer reports nearly a year and a half ago saying there were roughly 60 Mac viruses compared to 60 thousand Windows viruses. A 1000:1 ratio hardly supports the idea that it's all about a 20:1 Windows to Mac ratio. So the added security of a Mac is a huge factor. In fact, the central selling point of Vista is supposed to be upgraded security, which is (among other things) taking up the password-requiring conventions of OSX.

Here's an interesting quote just this week from tech comlumnist Robert Cringely:
Last week, a Microsoft data security guru suggested at a conference that corporate and government users would be wise to come up with automated processes to wipe clean hard drives and reinstall operating systems and applications periodically as a way to deal with malware infestations. What Microsoft is talking about is a utility from SysInternals, a company that makes simply awesome tools.

The crying shame of this whole story is that Microsoft has given up on Windows security. They have no internal expertise to solve this problem among their 60,000-plus employees, and they apparently have no interest in looking outside for help. I know any number of experts who could give Microsoft some very good guidance on what is needed to fix and secure Windows. There are very good developers Microsoft could call upon to help them. But no, their answer is to rebuild your system every few days and start over. Will Vista be any better?

I don't think so.
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060406.html

For what it's worth, he also predicts that Apple will turn around and start selling OSX CDs (with Boot Camp) that will run on basically any PC hardware.

Microsoft has all the money in the world and 60,000 plus employees and not one of them knows how to solve their security problem.

Maybe i'll apply for a job at Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back