Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nasty Nate

Nate is indeed a small guy but he plays with alot of heart. I haven't been able to follow him since he got drafted by Chicago.. but definately my favorite corners coming out of TEXAS.

My Favorite Nate Play... On a fake PUNT
http://www.jcdenton40.com/TT_Vasher-hit.mpeg
(It's small and grainy, but the Sound of the Collision more than makes up for it)

Torch7 said:
Nate is indeed a small guy but he plays with alot of heart. I haven't been able to follow him since he got drafted by Chicago.. but definately my favorite corners coming out of TEXAS.

(It's small and grainy, but the Sound of the Collision more than makes up for it)

Wow... i wish we saw aggressiveness on our squad like that

Kami...

It is 20/20 hindsight but we obviously were looking for corners in that part of the draft and didn't draft the one guy who became good and did draft 2 guys who have not done anything.

Add to that the 2 4th rd picks in 2002 for beckham and echols and our waste of a first in 2003:nana2: that means 5 corners taken in rd 4 or sooner and all 5 combined don't equal one good player like vasser.

If a couple of those guys did become solid players maybe we don't draft pacman in 2005. Maybe we go for a derrick johnson.

I've been trying to decide whether Reese just has poor evaluation skills of CBs or whether our coaches just suck at coaching them up once we get them. I think it probably is just a combination.

GoT....

How did our big corner 1st rd draft pick work out? Woolfolk? He will be backing up vince fuller for the nickel.

There simply are not that many 6 ft plus, 200 lb plus guys who can stay with fast quick wideouts in this league. In seattle they replaced the tiny andre dyson with another 5'10 180 lb guy. Ronde barber is listed at 5'10 184. You wouldn't want him? Even samari rolle a tall 6'0 only weighs 175.

We could have drafted the larger antrell rolle in 2005. He is currently listed as the third left corner on the card's depth chart. Pacman is better.

From an athletic point of view pacman was a great pick he just is just a little mentally ill. Oh well.

Although it doesn't always work out (Woolfolk) it seems the best strategy is to look for starting CBs in the first two rounds and then loook for Ss in the middle rounds of the draft. Rolle and Dyson were 2nd round picks that worked out fairly well. Pacman certainly has 1st round talent. The odds are not good in the later rounds. CBs are kinda like LTs. Hard to find a good one past the first two rounds and if you do it is pure luck.

Or we could have taken Derrick Johnson or Merriman in the 1st and Foxworth in the 3rd.

The new hands off rules certainly put a premium on having great feet and closing speed. But I still think the biggest thing is having good instincts.

I don't think it is the coaching. No more than 10-15% anyway. If that was the case these guys would go on to more successful careers somewhere else. Echols is out of the league and nobody was beating the door down for beckham. We'll see how woolfolk does with his new team in 2007.:nana2:

Good point. Let's just hope that Pac plays to his draft status and Hill continues to improve and our CB issues should be resolved for awhile.

Torch7 said:

And thus the phrase "Vasherize" was born!

And don't forget that it was Vasher that returned that missed field goal 107 yds for the longest TD ever just last year, so he's also a hell of a returner.

The thing that prompted this whole affair is that Chicago just signed Ricky Manning Jr. to a 2 year 9 million dollar deal.... to be Nathan's Back up! Remember, Nathan's low draft position meant that he's signed in at $425,000 a year, over 10 TIMES Less than his new back-up will be making.

His agent contends that they aren't even looking to equal the deal that Manning Jr. got but they did hope that the Bears would see fit to raise Vasher's pay to somewhere around what the #44th corner is making (instead of the #130th where he is now out of all corners in the league).

While it's true that that's just the way the business works sometimes, it's still got to be seen as a bit of a slap in the face.

homerxsimpson said:

The thing that prompted this whole affair is that Chicago just signed Ricky Manning Jr. to a 2 year 9 million dollar deal.... .

What is Chicago thinking? Manning isn't worth that kind of money. 4.5 mil a year?

RollTide said:
It is 20/20 hindsight but we obviously were looking for corners in that part of the draft and didn't draft the one guy who became good and did draft 2 guys who have not done anything.

Add to that the 2 4th rd picks in 2002 for beckham and echols and our waste of a first in 2003:nana2: that means 5 corners taken in rd 4 or sooner and all 5 combined don't equal one good player like vasser.

If a couple of those guys did become solid players maybe we don't draft pacman in 2005. Maybe we go for a derrick johnson.

I agree with you completely. I just don't like to think this way, because otherwise I'd ***** a lot about "coulda/woulda/shoulda", and I just don't do that.

Bottom line, Beckham, Echols are wastes, and Waddell and Gardner ain't lookin' great either, while Vasher looks to be a good playmaker. Unfortunate we didn't see the same, but what can you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back