Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
All 3 phases of the team (4 if you include coaching) were a dumpster fire yesterday but what annoys me the most is the OL.

Power of hindsight but imagine where we'd be if we just kept Jack Conklin. The decision to move on from Conk has really damaged us and snowballed as we wasted last year's 1st rounder on Panda. Dillon Radunz isn't even active on gameday yet (2nd rounder who is also struggling) and we signed spare parts to play at RT who seem inferior to Dennis Kelly so far... who we cut.

Infuriating. RT and K are our achilles heel it seems.

I would hope Lewan will bounce back and it's too early to hit the panic button but no denying it was a train-wreck yesterday. Only consolation is Tannehill didn't get injured! Fingers crossed things gel more smoothly next time as we shake off the rust.. Roll on week 2

Oline was dreadful, but I didn't see much help being giving by the OC. But after sack 3 you had to start double teaming Jones regardless where he lines up. Our TEs weren't catching much yesterdays. This seemed very much like a pre season game in how we executed and called it. Cards were all over our play calling in the 1stt qtr. We should've came out slinging to throw them off guard

Why did we let the undertaker Kelly go? He was not expensive did a nice job? Was better than what was out there yesterday. Can play left tackle too

Letting Conklin go was a bad move at the time. We spent a chit ton of draft capital on him, then let him walk.

We have spent a chit load of draft capital since Conklin left to replace him and still haven't. That alone justifies paying what Cleveland paid him to keep him. What if we drafted a WR to replace Davis instead of drafting Wilson (Chase Claypool would have been nice or almost anyone besides Wilson) and it also gives us flexibility with the Radunz pick this year if we wanted to go in a different direction.

As for the OL the overall grade was probably pretty low but it was basically a one man wrecking crew that did us in. Our sleepy OC should have figured it out before the 1st qt was over. Quessenberry didn't seem to do a horrible job in pass protection on the right side like Lamm and Lewan did. Marcus Golden had one tackle and no sacks.

That reads like damage control to me. But I think we all recognize it does us no good to revisit EXCEPT JRob can not continue to make OL mistakes and expect it to not effect the future success of the team. He’s made several in particular with early round picks. Radunz too early to tell so I’m hoping he does improve.

Yeah I hadn’t heard that before but don’t think Mike would say that without having reliable info.

Correct on OL mistakes. But last year OL was good and had a 3rd string LT.

Im going to chalk this up to lack of time together this offseason. If poor play continues then certainly other convos can be had.

Conklin probably got tired of the damn fans talking crap about him even though he was doing pretty damn good.

It's the old, "if I am not good enough for em, **** em" thought process.

He literally could fart and we would have some of our fans bitching that it should have been longer. He sucks.....

Conklin probably got tired of the damn fans talking crap about him even though he was doing pretty damn good.

It's the old, "if I am not good enough for em, **** em" thought process.

He literally could fart and we would have some of our fans bitching that it should have been longer. He sucks.....

Yep. A lot of the same fans saying we should have re signed him were the ones calling him a bust.

Now rinse and repeat with Corey Davis and Adoree Jackson.

I don’t know why y’all keep saying it’s the RT that need to be fixed. Lewan was credited with allowing 2 sacks. One each were credited to Davis, Jones, Saffold and Lamm. The only person who DIDNT give up a sack was Quesenberry!

I don’t know why y’all keep saying it’s the RT that need to be fixed. Lewan was credited with allowing 2 sacks. One each were credited to Davis, Jones, Saffold and Lamm. The only person who DIDNT give up a sack was Quesenberry!
Pretty sure Watt breezed right past him early on yesterday. Might not have been a sack but it was bad. Tightened up after that though.

FWIW - Dennis Kelly didnt log a snap for the Packers yesterday

Offensive line was really bad, nobody can deny that. But the play calling was also atrocious. Everyone of us knew every time a play was a running play. Hell, we even knew which direction the run was going, and so did the Cardinals. I did see the play calling improve as the game went on, but only marginally.

Sooooo many things we could have done to slow down that pass rush other than just make our overmatched offensive line slug it out every down.

Somebody explain to me what happened on the bootleg where Tanne got killed and fumbled the ball. Was it because we use that play way to much or did someone completely miss their assignment?

2K rusher last year. 11-5 record with an almost untouched QB (in comparison to the rest of the league)

Conklin wasn’t the answer and isn’t the answer now. Still a good move to let him go.
What happened yesterday was not a result of Conklin going either.
How often are we going to continue going back in time for a move that really wasn’t that significant from a play standpoint but was from a money available for other positions standpoint.

Some of the suggested problems hold merit more than still hindsight second guessing the Conklin situation.
Lewan played like trash. Conklin can’t/wouldn’t have fixed that
Saffold played like trash. Conklin can’t/wouldn’t have fixed that.
RT is downgraded from Kelly, who did well last year, not Conklin.
No preseason.
Downing is OC and Vrabel is HC. Could very well be some play design problems.

Not often mentioned but the ARZ D is good.

2K rusher last year. 11-5 record with an almost untouched QB (in comparison to the rest of the league)

Conklin wasn’t the answer and isn’t the answer now. Still a good move to let him go.
What happened yesterday was not a result of Conklin going either.
How often are we going to continue going back in time for a move that really wasn’t that significant from a play standpoint but was from a money available for other positions standpoint.

Some of the suggested problems hold merit more than still hindsight second guessing the Conklin situation.
Lewan played like trash. Conklin can’t/wouldn’t have fixed that
Saffold played like trash. Conklin can’t/wouldn’t have fixed that.
RT is downgraded from Kelly, who did well last year, not Conklin.
No preseason.
Downing is OC and Vrabel is HC. Could very well be some play design problems.

Not often mentioned but the ARZ D is good.

That's only partially true. Never draft Conklin to begin with, we have conserved draft capital. But he was a pro-bowl a year, got injured, we didn't keep him around after. Keep Conklin, we don't waste a 1st round on Wilson who busted, again spent a 2nd on a RT solution. So it is disingenuous to say the way JRob handled Conklin and subsequent effects on drafting hasn't set the franchise back some.

You're right though- its in the past and there is very little good in focusing on the past mistakes. Except to LEARN that those type mistakes can't happen any more and we expect to move the franchise forward toward a Championship.

That's only partially true. Never draft Conklin to begin with, we have conserved draft capital. But he was a pro-bowl a year, got injured, we didn't keep him around after. Keep Conklin, we don't waste a 1st round on Wilson who busted, again spent a 2nd on a RT solution. So it is disingenuous to say the way JRob handled Conklin and subsequent effects on drafting hasn't set the franchise back some.

You're right though- its in the past and there is very little good in focusing on the past mistakes. Except to LEARN that those type mistakes can't happen any more and we expect to move the franchise forward toward a Championship.
I know this is all in the Isaiah Wilson thread I think.
I just see those as separate moves.

We drafted Conklin using capital and it worked well for the most part. Chose to let him go and use the money elsewhere, including Kelly.
Wilson is a separate move and complete blunder. I get that he was taken as insurance for RT (I believe it was highly noted he was a prospect, not ready starter). We have the season that follows without Conklin or Wilson and money spent on other players.
I don’t see the Conklin move to keep money freed up as the wrong move. It was drafting Wilson and signing what’s his face (old Atl Lb) and Clowney and all which were bad moves only after letting Conklin go. Different players and we look at the Conklin walking differently.

I could also agree that if he had selected a kicker in the first round instead of Wilson, we may all be happier today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back