Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is all in the Isaiah Wilson thread I think.
I just see those as separate moves.

We drafted Conklin using capital and it worked well for the most part. Chose to let him go and use the money elsewhere, including Kelly.
Wilson is a separate move and complete blunder. I get that he was taken as insurance for RT (I believe it was highly noted he was a prospect, not ready starter). We have the season that follows without Conklin or Wilson and money spent on other players.
I don’t see the Conklin move to keep money freed up as the wrong move. It was drafting Wilson and signing what’s his face (old Atl Lb) and Clowney and all which were bad moves only after letting Conklin go. Different players and we look at the Conklin walking differently.

I could also agree that if he had selected a kicker in the first round instead of Wilson, we may all be happier today.

I understand what your saying. But letting Conklin go was the cause of our taking Wilson. And trading up to get Conklin was the cause of expended draft picks. They are causally related. So there was a series of moves for a net loss in the quality of our RT position and our draft capital.

no use in crying over spilled milk EXCEPT to say learn from and don’t do it again. JRob knows himself he has to do better or the franchise will struggle more.

Somebody explain to me what happened on the bootleg where Tanne got killed and fumbled the ball. Was it because we use that play way to much or did someone completely miss their assignment?

That’s how the play is designed. Edge defender is supposed to collapse on Henry. Chandler Jones made a heads up play.

Somebody explain to me what happened on the bootleg where Tanne got killed and fumbled the ball. Was it because we use that play way to much or did someone completely miss their assignment?

The idea in a naked boot is that the backside/weakside defensive end is crashing down to stop the running back so he gets faked out when the QB rolls out going the other direction. It is very effective if the defensive end is worried about the running game, but I don't know why I would run that play if my running game is being stuffed.

Packers under Holmgren and Broncos under Shanahan were known for the naked boot. Sometimes they'd go into a game and run the naked boot 2 or 3 plays in a row to start the game, exactly when the defense expects you to run the ball. Then, once the defense is off balance, they would start running the ball over and over and over again until the defense became exhausted before going back to the naked boot.

Titans did the opposite - they started the game doing exactly what the defense expects - running right into a stacked box. Then once the defense could see that running the ball wasn't working, they ran a naked boot in desperation.... not exactly a hard read for an elite defensive end there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Letting Conklin go had nothing to do with the fiasco against the Cardinals but if it were me I'd want book end OTs with a decent C and take my chances finding two guys to play OG.

Thing is JRob agrees (except what he is paying Saffold) and used a first round pick on Wilson and a 2nd round pick on Radunz. So bottom line is you keep continuity at OT and C and use those draft picks on other positions.

Now we have people wishing we kept Kelly when despite people saying he was pretty good he wasn't. He was a JAG which is why JRob figured he could plug in a guy and replace him. But with that said we are talking about a minor amount of money to keep Kelly and at worst he is replacing Lewan if needed. Certainly Kelly would be better than Lamm.

So in the end we have Lamm (sucks), Radunz (might eventually play RT but I'm thinking he is playing LG next year), and another JAG starting at RT. We paid decent money for Lamm we could have used to keep Kelly and a 1st and 2nd round pick and still don't have a legit RT who is better than average.

In conclusion, if you are going to let a vet go but have to use a 1st round pick to replace him think twice. One, the kid won't be that good for a year and two he might not ever be close to as good as the guy you let walk. Three, that is a draft pick you could use on another position of need.

Packers under Holmgren and Broncos under Shanahan were known for the naked boot. Sometimes they'd go into a game and run the naked boot 2 or 3 plays in a row to start the game, exactly when the defense expects you to run the ball. Then, once the defense is off balance, they would start running the ball over and over and over again until the defense became exhausted before going back to the naked boot.
I used to love watching Jake Plummer in that offense...

The idea in a naked boot is that the backside/weakside defensive end is crashing down to stop the running back so he gets faked out when the QB rolls out going the other direction. It is very effective if the defensive end is worried about the running game, but I don't know why I would run that play if my running game is being stuffed.

Titans did the opposite - they started the game doing exactly what the defense expects - running right into a stacked box. Then once the defense could see that running the ball wasn't working, they ran a naked boot in desperation.... not exactly a hard read for an elite defensive end there.
Agree. We had not established any sort of run game. Why run that play? My concern is with the coaches. I believe we have some talented players, but if the coaches call terrible plays, like the play Hopkins scored on, we need to start making some moves.

Oline was dreadful, but I didn't see much help being giving by the OC. But after sack 3 you had to start double teaming Jones regardless where he lines up. Our TEs weren't catching much yesterdays. This seemed very much like a pre season game in how we executed and called it. Cards were all over our play calling in the 1stt qtr. We should've came out slinging to throw them off guard
Yeah, that reminded me of the way Whisenhunt threw Mariota to the wolves repeatedly. It's any wonder Mariota can still walk. Lets hope that the protection improves drastically so Tannehill can do his job.

Lewan and Davis really sucked and Lamm coming in was horrid as well. Quess, Jones and Saffold actually did pretty well. The OC is braindead, blind or was drunk.

Lewan and Davis really sucked and Lamm coming in was horrid as well. Quess, Jones and Saffold actually did pretty well. The OC is braindead, blind or was drunk.
Is it lack of time playing together? Poor scheme? Or has the line regressed that much? Only time I saw anything positive was in the no huddle offense. I really hope this doesn’t lead to drafting more 1st round tackles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back