Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
LazyManJackson said:
What team do you think loves their GM, how do you think players like their GMs character and personality. Which team would go through thick and thin with him without turning against him. Thats what I want to know

I normally lurk here, but had to jump in to comment on this. Aren't you stretching a bit here? The GM has to make difficult decisions for the good of his franchise - it's his job, and not a popularity contest. I don't care if Polian is well-liked, as long as he and his staff continue to draft and manage the cap well, and do what's necessary to keep the franchise competitive. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge that he is an excellent GM? You don't have to like him (even I think he lets his temper show too much), but his resume speaks for itself.

All I wanted to know is which GM's character do you like the best and why, I never implied it was a popularity contest.
And I do think that Polian is a good GM, I never said he wasn't

Reese doing a good job lately...

Maybe he has been listening to rolltide but he does seem to agree that it is for the best to bring back most of the starters from last season.

We have new deals with olson and henry, hopkins was let go because of age and we didn't pick up the options for mcnair and volek. We did pick up the option for thompson. All good moves i think.

Still some question of what to do with sirmon and tank and whether we can get mcnair's cap hit down and we obviously are not going to keep both mcnair and volek here assuming we will be drafting a QB high.

The way it looks now we will only be 2-3 players light from last year which means we will be adding on to our talent not desperately being forced to draft players to fill an urgent need. Now we are not desperate for a runningback, OG or safety. We could even get by without drafting a linebacker high if we can sign a david thornton type free agent.

We expect most of our young players to improve and we can expect some vets to suck it up and perform at a higher level.

RollTide said:
GoT, what would san diego's decision have to do with the colts drafting manning? The colts had the first pick and the choice of any player they wanted. Polian could have chosen leaf and the fortunes of that franchise would be significantly different. He also could have drafted the enormously talented but underachieving ricky williams but went with james instead.

SDs drafting of Leaf is the basis of you praising Wile E. Polian for choosing the obviously more seasoned Manning over him. You are the one who is stating that Polian should be praised for not selecting Leaf while I say only an idiot would trade up for Leaf to begin with as the Manning selection was a nobrainer. Again even I said pre draft that James was the better RB than Williams although not a nobrainer like Manning it still was not like picking your favorite doublemint twin or anything seeing as even I thought James was better. I mean you are basically reinforcing my argument that one of these decisions was obvious and the other was not even horribly difficult.

In a related topic Reeses selection with the 3rd overall this year will probably be difficult and I believe a fair judement of him as a GM can be made about how he handles this selection.

Will Reese go all Wile E. Polian and take the Super Genuis selection? Who knows only Rolltide the Tennessee Bamaboy knows for sure. Same Titan Time, Same Titan Forum

RollTide, I don't see what the problem is. Reese put together the NFL's winningest team in the NFL from 1999-2003. Record injuries killed them in 2004 then they went into rebuilding mode. Such is life.

As I've said before, I wouldn't fire Reese in favor of any other GM right now. Therefore, I'm picking Reese in this poll. Colts fans surely will pick Polian because he has done a good job with that team. End of story.

What nobody has talked about...

Here is a reason the colts the been more consistent going to 2 more playoffs the last 7 years and a main reason they are better right now but it is not reese's fault.

Peyton manning. Manning simply has been better, more consistent and obviously more durable than steve mcnair. Gnash your teeth all you want it is true. It's not reese's fault, mcanir was a great draft choice in 1995 just as manning was for polian in 98. It's just that manning has been the better player. Maybe not night and day better but it is true.

Look steve has been with us 11 years now. How many outstanding pro bowl seasons has he had? 3? By pro bowl i mean one of the top 6 QBs in the game or among the top 3 in the conference. From 2001-2003 he was an elite QB. From 98-2000 he was solid but probably not quite elite. That's 6 good seasons out of 11 with 3 elite years.

To put it in perspective manning and mcnair both have the same number of ints the last 2 years. 20. Manning just threw 53 more TDs that's all.

GoT...

What san diego did in 1998 had nothing to do with the colts so why do you keep brining it up? All you are doing is proving that leaf was highly regarded. They did consider leaf a good enough prospect to trade up to the second pick for him.
And didn't mike ditka give up a whole draft worth of picks to get ricky williams? It was not a no brainer to pick james ahead of him. The majority of of GMs would have taken ricky.

Hell based on some of your past postings i would have expected you to argue that manning sucks in comparison to leaf and that he was a bad draft choice.

Grandpa gunny...

We did pick up the option for thompson
------------------------------

Granny must have borrowed the reading glasses because that is exactly what i said.

RollTide said:

Granny must have borrowed the reading glasses because that is exactly what i said.
He was refering to picking up Thompson's option as a good move

RollTide said:

I that is what you said, I was quoting you.

I was wondering why you think that is a good move.

RollTide said:
What san diego did in 1998 had nothing to do with the colts so why do you keep brining it up? All you are doing is proving that leaf was highly regarded. They did consider leaf a good enough prospect to trade up to the second pick for him.
And didn't mike ditka give up a whole draft worth of picks to get ricky williams? It was not a no brainer to pick james ahead of him. The majority of of GMs would have taken ricky.

Your a piece of work bamaboy

YOU are the one who said choosing Manning over Leaf was inspired genius - I GoT say it was a nobrainer.

I GoT said pre draft that James was better than Williams so I GoT am just as much a genius as Wile E. Polian by that measurment. The fact that Ditka is a moron does not make Wile E. Polian a genuis, maybe by comparison but not in actuality and if the majority of GMs would have taken WIlliams then all that means is that I GoT am smarter than most GMs but even that does not make Wile E. Polian a super genuis.

Again because you have a bad habit of misconSCREWing other peoples words - I GoT said Manning over Leaf = nobrainer, I GoT said James over Williams actually a decision but even I choose James so really how hard should it have been for a real GM?

RollTide said:
Hell based on some of your past postings i would have expected you to argue that manning sucks in comparison to leaf and that he was a bad draft choice.

Manning and the dolts suk :coltssuk:

from 98-2002 Manning was 0-3 - 0-1 in the playoffs - vs Tennessee and Leaf was 1-0 so Manning does in fact blow chunks vs Tennessee at least during the Leaf era - lol

I'll have to throw my vote to Polian. He has shown he knows how to play the cap game better. Last yr at this time I was *****ing up a storm about black monday and the cuts that we made because we could have easily restructured KC to save big cap money and then also redone a deal with Mason to lower his cap figure. People were saying that it would just push more cap money into the future...well everybody knew that the new CBA had to get done this yr and that the cap would go up a significant amount. Polian played the odds and appears to have won because he kept all his players last yr and is going to be able to keep most again this yr because of the increase in the cap. Floyd decided to ignore this fact and tried to sell us on the quick rebuild by getting out of cap hell all in one yr, but while giving up significant talent. His offseason cuts have really hamstrung our recent drafts. We cut Kearse then draft 3 DEs. We cut Mason and then draft 3 WRs. Tell me another GM that lets both their starting CBs go the same yr. Which then forces the team to draft for need in the 1st instead of taking BPA. The offseason moves have dictated our draft which is what you don't want to have happen. You want to be able to take BPA to build your depth.

Tide- agree with you that at least this offseason we should be able to build our depth better because we aren't losing as many players. It will make for some very good training camp battles. Guys like Gardner and Nickey will be fighting for their NFL careers.

GoTboy...

Several times you have made reference to sandiego's drafting of leaf. As if it somehow had some effect on who the colts took. Or as if the chargers had drafted leaf first making polian's decision easier. What san diego did in that draft has NO bearing on what the colts did and had NO effect on what the colts did so why do you mention it?

Whether you personally thought edge james was the better prospect doesn't mean a thing. Many people were surprised the colts didn't take williams and that is a FACT. I gave you the example of what ditka and the saints gave up to get him and that is a fact.

Doesn't matter how hard you think the decisions were for polian the fact is simply he made the right choices. Manning and james might be in the hall of fame someday. I never used the term inspired genius you did.

You take a basic factual point of mine that can't be logically argued with and argue with it. Do you realize that? It's a fact that those were 2 great draft choices.

Gunny...

I like the decision to keep at least one of our safeties because i don't want to do a total rebuild there. It also makes it less essential that we draft a safety high.

I am firmly convinced that the exact same players from 2005 could go 8-8 or better in 2006 with no changes or improvements. Our younger players will have one more years experience and the vets will play with a lot more fire. I think the guys that have been here a while were down after losing so many starters and just didn't think we could win. That will be different and i guarentee you jeff fisher doesn't want a third straight loser.

A good draft and a couple of helpful free agents and this team will make a run at the afct south!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back