Ryan Izzo
Tommy Huson
Briley Moore
Austin Fort

Free Agents

Mycole Pruitt
Anthony Firkser
Geoff Swaim

After a shockingly underwhelming performance from our TE group in 2021, a complete overhaul of the position seems in order. My guess is that one of these guys MIGHT be brought back, likely Swaim or Firkser, but we should have at least two new additions by training camp. This looks like a good year to be looking for TE help too, with plenty of options in both free agency and the draft.

Free Agent TE’s

CJ Uzomah
Maxx Williams
Zach Ertz
Robert Tonyan Jr.
OJ Howard
Mo Alie-Cox
Hayden Hurst
Evan Engram
David Njoku
Mike Gesiki
Dalton Shultz
Tyler Croft
Jimmy Graham
Eric Ebron

That is A LOT of talent available in free agency, with a bunch of guys with different skills and experience. Young players like Hayden Hurst, OJ Howard and David Njoku have yet to reach their draft status potential and could thrive in new environments. Older vets like Ertz, Graham or Ebron could add a veteran presence to the position group if needed. Gesicki, Schultz and Uzomah are coming off big time years.

Top TE draft prospects who likely go in Round 1-4

Jalen Wydermyer
Isaiah Likely
Tre Mcbride
Charlie Kolar
Cade Otton
Jeremy Ruckert
Jake Ferguson
Chigoziem Okonkwo
Cole Turner

There is so much quality depth in the TE prospects this year, it’s as though JRob planned for a TE rebuild this year all along. The sweet spot feels like the 3rd and 4th round where at least half of these guys should still be available. While Wydermyer, Likely and McBride will likely be gone, any of the other 6 on the above list offer solid builds and big upsides. Jake Ferguson stood out at the Senior Bowl so JRob probably is crushing on him.

I’ll get the conversation going.

The depth in FA and the draft this year is outstanding. Tonyan, Schultz and Gesicki are going to be out of our price range at $10+ mil/yr., but I would love to take a flier on one or two of the younger guys who haven’t lived up to their draft position (Hurst, Howard or Njoku) and see how they grow in our locker room. OJ Howard is the most intriguing with his athletic ability and likely low price tag in the $3 mil/yr for a prove it short term deal. Njoku could be had for $6 mil/yr too. A trio of Njoku, Howard and Jake Ferguson would give us a whooooole lot to play with. Thoughts?

Bright side to the crap output from Firkser, swaim, and Pruitt is it should be cheap to keep 2 of them and clearly tailor the expectations, ie Firkser isn’t holding it down.

I like swaim and Pruitt pending his health and return.
I’d also much rather attack the FA market for a TE than use a draft pick, not sure there’s a Kelce out there.

I do think a couple of those TE will cost a pretty penny (gesiki) but lots of talent. Not sure id go after an old guy unless there’s another younger one also.

Let’s talk about Tight Ends.

Tight Ends on the roster for 2022

Ryan Izzo
Tommy Huson
Briley Moore
Austin Fort

Free Agents

Mycole Pruitt
Anthony Firkser
Geoff Swaim

After a shockingly underwhelming performance from our TE group in 2021, a complete overhaul of the position seems in order. My guess is that one of these guys MIGHT be brought back, likely Swaim or Firkser, but we should have at least two new additions by training camp. This looks like a good year to be looking for TE help too, with plenty of options in both free agency and the draft.

Free Agent TE’s

CJ Uzomah
Maxx Williams
Zach Ertz
Robert Tonyan Jr.
OJ Howard
Mo Alie-Cox
Hayden Hurst
Evan Engram
David Njoku
Mike Gesiki
Dalton Shultz
Tyler Croft
Jimmy Graham
Eric Ebron

That is A LOT of talent available in free agency, with a bunch of guys with different skills and experience. Young players like Hayden Hurst, OJ Howard and David Njoku have yet to reach their draft status potential and could thrive in new environments. Older vets like Ertz, Graham or Ebron could add a veteran presence to the position group if needed. Gesicki, Schultz and Uzomah are coming off big time years.

Top TE draft prospects who likely go in Round 1-4

Jalen Wydermyer
Isaiah Likely
Tre Mcbride
Charlie Kolar
Cade Otton
Jeremy Ruckert
Jake Ferguson
Chigoziem Okonkwo
Cole Turner

There is so much quality depth in the TE prospects this year, it’s as though JRob planned for a TE rebuild this year all along. The sweet spot feels like the 3rd and 4th round where at least half of these guys should still be available. While Wydermyer, Likely and McBride will likely be gone, any of the other 6 on the above list offer solid builds and big upsides. Jake Ferguson stood out at the Senior Bowl so JRob probably is crushing on him.

I’ll get the conversation going.

The depth in FA and the draft this year is outstanding. Tonyan, Schultz and Gesicki are going to be out of our price range at $10+ mil/yr., but I would love to take a flier on one or two of the younger guys who haven’t lived up to their draft position (Hurst, Howard or Njoku) and see how they grow in our locker room. OJ Howard is the most intriguing with his athletic ability and likely low price tag in the $3 mil/yr for a prove it short term deal. Njoku could be had for $6 mil/yr too. A trio of Njoku, Howard and Jake Ferguson would give us a whooooole lot to play with. Thoughts?
I completely forgot about Briley Moore

OJ Howard is pretty terrible in run blocking. I know Firkser was too, but he was super cheap. I don't imagine OJ will come quite as cheap.

Njoku on the other hand has gotten much better at blocking since coming into the league and is super athletic. Reminds me a lot of Jonnu in that sense. He would be my preferred target.

Spotrac has him projected to get 3/37.5. I really don't see that with how deep this market and draft is. I certainly wouldn't go there. Most I'd be willing to do is like 3/25 but only about half guaranteed.

I still can't believe they did nothing to address TE this past offseason after losing Jonnu. Just think if we had another weapon on offense this year during the time AJ and Julio were both out.

I think we need to sign one and draft one. I've always liked Njoku but with our cap situation, he may not be an option.

This organization does not value the position clearly. They did absolutely nothing to bolster it this past off-season and the one guy who clearly was supposed to step up sans-Jonnu was called a 'special teamer'. They'll find another Swain type journeymen most likely. Don't expect anything drastic - certainly not in the first round either - just not their thing.

I will be shocked if we don't go the cheap vet route and a mid-late rnd draft pick.

Unless you have a complete stud like Kelce or Kittle most of the TE catches are schemed open type of receptions. Our TEs combined for 8 TDs last yr....Andrews and Kelce each had 9 TDs to lead the league.

I still can't believe they did nothing to address TE this past offseason after losing Jonnu. Just think if we had another weapon on offense this year during the time AJ and Julio were both out.

I think we need to sign one and draft one. I've always liked Njoku but with our cap situation, he may not be an option.
apparently Robinson can only handle 1 task at a time and TE, like kicker, was to far down the list to get any consideration

Let's be honest. Before the season started, we were going with Henry, Brown, Reynolds and Julio as our targets. Firkser was someone we all thought would have a breakout season. This is the main reason why TE was never considered for an upgrade.

I was totally fine going into the season with what we had at TE, because I honestly didn't think TE was going to get that many targets.

With Henry going down, Julio being a bust for us, our WR's not being able to separate downfield, and Downing being Downing, we realized really quick that we don't have a TE that's capable of making plays when called upon.

If we had Art Smith, we clearly keep Firkser, but since we have Downing it's probably best to retain Swaim.

I honestly don't think they upgrade the TE position. If we had a 2nd round pick, then yes. After Wydermyer and McBride are gone, I just don't think there's anyone in the draft that would be better than Swaim right now.

We're going WR in the first round and OL in the 3rd. Any TE bought in after the 3rd round will be a development project and we clearly have an abundance of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jrob needs to find the next Delanie. A stud who’s hidden down the depth chart on another team. Who are Kittle and Kelces backups!

Jrob needs to find the next Delanie. A stud who’s hidden down the depth chart on another team. Who are Kittle and Kelces backups!

Delanie wasn't exactly hidden down the depth chart. He was a solid TE for the 49ers, averaging about 300 yards per season his final 3 years there as the number 2 TE. But certainly he didn't breakout till he came here.

There a couple TEs in FA I think that fit a similar mold to Delanie. That is David Njoku and Mo Alie-Cox. Njoku is more athletic, but Mo Alie Cox is the better blocker. I really hope we target one of these 2 guys in FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back