Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we don't go after Njoku because I don't want to hear everyone complain about paying $50mil for a 30 catch, 400 yard a year guy the next few years. He feels like this year's Jonnu.

We can get that kind of production out of a 3rd rounder in the draft - Ferguson, Otton, Dulcich, Ruckert, etc.

I hope we don't go after Njoku because I don't want to hear everyone complain about paying $50mil for a 30 catch, 400 yard a year guy the next few years. He feels like this year's Jonnu.

We can get that kind of production out of a 3rd rounder in the draft - Ferguson, Otton, Dulcich, Ruckert, etc.

I doubt Njoku is going to get anywhere near that. Jonnu got that last year because the TE market was super thin. It was basically him and Hunter Henry as far as TEs go. Spotrac has Njoku pegged for a contract about roughly 4/27. I think that's solid value for a TE like him.

And rookie TEs rarely give much production year 1. Particularly TEs drafted outside the first 2 rounds. It's one of the hardest positions in the NFL to learn. I kinda doubt the guys you listed are going to be that productive in year 1.

I doubt Njoku is going to get anywhere near that. Jonnu got that last year because the TE market was super thin. It was basically him and Hunter Henry as far as TEs go. Spotrac has Njoku pegged for a contract about roughly 4/27. I think that's solid value for a TE like him.

And rookie TEs rarely give much production year 1. Particularly TEs drafted outside the first 2 rounds. It's one of the hardest positions in the NFL to learn. I kinda doubt the guys you listed are going to be that productive in year 1.

I'm not opposed to Njoku, but I've been seeing articles talking about franchise tags and whatnot. If we don't have to make any kind of commitment, then I agree that he is better than what we have. I do stand that we can draft a guy that is better than what we have, too.

If the Titans want to upgrade the position via free agency this is the year to do it. It has to be the deepest class of free agent tight ends to hit the market. Firkser should be allowed to walk, he didn't contribute when he was given every chance to in a very lackluster group of tight ends last season. If Swaim is brought back it should be an extremely cheap deal as the #3 TE.

Delanie wasn't exactly hidden down the depth chart. He was a solid TE for the 49ers, averaging about 300 yards per season his final 3 years there as the number 2 TE. But certainly he didn't breakout till he came here.

There a couple TEs in FA I think that fit a similar mold to Delanie. That is David Njoku and Mo Alie-Cox. Njoku is more athletic, but Mo Alie Cox is the better blocker. I really hope we target one of these 2 guys in FA.

A couple of other guys to consider are

Tyler Conklin from the Vikings...this was his 1st yr to start because he was always behind Kyle Rudolph...he hauled in 61 passes this yr.

Durham Smythe from the Dolfins...he has played behind Gesicki, but has started 41 games in his 4 yr career....had 34 receptions last yr and posted a catch rate of over 80% for the 2nd yr in a row

Will Dissly from the Seahawks... he has played behind Dickson and Everett....he is the perfect JROB type of guy...played defensive end his first 2 years of college and then switched to TE...never dropped a pass in college...He is 265lbs and was projected as more of a blocking TE...his 1st yr in the NFL he tore his patellar tendon in week 4 and in his 2nd yr he tore his achilles in week 6 ...despite those injuries he has posted 76 rec for 11.8 yds/rec and 9 TDs with an 80% catch rate.

If I'm JROB I would rather spend my money getting a #2/3 WR in FA than on a TE ...I go the cheap route again in FA for my TE

Conlin/Smythe seem like good targets too, but my top target remains Mo Alie Cox.

Feels like Alie Cox made that one miraculous catch a few years ago and hasn't done really anything outside of that. He definitely goes ghost against us.

I'll have to give a hard pass on him.

Mo Alie-Cox has 70 catches in 57 games. He has one game with over 3 catches and one game with over 50 yards.

If we get him, fine. But I can't imagine being a fan and having the choice of hundreds of free agents to want for your team and going, "Mo Alie-Cox! I want that one!"

Mo Alie-Cox has 70 catches in 57 games. He has one game with over 3 catches and one game with over 50 yards.

If we get him, fine. But I can't imagine being a fan and having the choice of hundreds of free agents to want for your team and going, "Mo Alie-Cox! I want that one!"

55 catches his last 2 seasons for 700+ yards and 6 TDs. He is very athletic, seems to be breaking out, and he's one of the best blocking tight ends available.

55 catches his last 2 seasons for 700+ yards and 6 TDs. He is very athletic, seems to be breaking out, and he's one of the best blocking tight ends available.

I mean Firk is at 73 catches and 678 yards and we are disappointed with his production.

Again, I don't mind Ali-Cox, but I don't see anything better than a slightly better 30 catch, 400 yard guy. I can't see him getting that 75 catch, 900 yard production we got from Delanie over a 4 year stretch. We pretty much have to hit a homerun in the draft to get that.

I like there are a bunch of options out there but I have to wonder about the low production, how much was design by downing. Clearly there wasn’t a lot of TE usage outside the RZ so would getting a big catch/yardage guy be a waste since he won’t get used?

I mean Firk is at 73 catches and 678 yards and we are disappointed with his production.

Again, I don't mind Ali-Cox, but I don't see anything better than a slightly better 30 catch, 400 yard guy. I can't see him getting that 75 catch, 900 yard production we got from Delanie over a 4 year stretch. We pretty much have to hit a homerun in the draft to get that.
actually I am just dissapointed in 2021... I would have taken 2020 again

but Firsker made it known he went to TE University in the offseason... setting my expectations to significantly better than 20 only to dissapoint like the entire O because of Downingsyndrome

To be fair, over the last two years the colts threw to their RBs (Hines and Taylor) nearly twice as much as they throw to TEs. And Alli-Cox was sharing reps with Trey Burton and Jack Doyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back