Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
We all know that in today's NFL Quarterback is without a doubt the most important position group. However, after that there are many questions to what is more important. Here are my positional group rankings most important to win a super bowl in today's NFL.

1. QB
2. DLine
3. OLine
4. Linebackers
5. WR/TE
6. Secondary
7. RB
8. Special Teams (K/P)

I would switch LB's and Secondary. Secondary is much more important these days.

I know it's the offseason, but it's silly to break things out in order of importance. It's a team game. Every group effects other groups.

If you have a great OL, but a plodding RB, your run game will still suffer. If you have the best DL but a terrible secondary, teams will still pick you apart. Even the best QB can be crushed by a terrible OL or no receiving weapons. It's all symbiotic.

No doubt QB is #1 but what follows really has a lot to do with the quality of that QB. Example, WR/TE is going to be more important for top QBs pushing RB on down the list.

In turn, a weaker QB is going to need more help from their OL and RB and the team will need a better D to win.

IMO, it's hard to have a list after QB because that position has such a huge impact on everything else.

I’ll do it. QB is not #1.

OL is #1, DL is #2, then QB.
You give time to even a mediocre QB with mediocre WR, and he will produce. If even the best QB doesn’t have time, his production drops.

this is aside from the piece where no unit can perform without the help of others. I think the importance of WR/TE drops pending offensive scheme and QB. We see Rodgers perform with the same nobodies every year but a guy like cousins likely needs better WR.

Id also move ST above RB. We have a freak, but we also see marginal RB break out every year.

In generalities, I think secondary is very close with LB, specifically regarding the safeties.

There is a reason there are 11 positions on each side of the ball.it is a team sport.

I’m guessing what you mean to say is what position needs the most talent to win a super bowl. I submit that each position has a talent coefficient that makes a difference in TEAM performance. Eg- a generational disruptive DE can help a team win as much as a good QB etc.

There is a reason there are 11 positions on each side of the ball.it is a team sport.

I’m guessing what you mean to say is what position needs the most talent to win a super bowl. I submit that each position has a talent coefficient that makes a difference in TEAM performance. Eg- a generational disruptive DE can help a team win as much as a good QB etc.

Watt was a generational DE. Reggie White was too. No Super Bowls. Generational QBs have a far bigger impact on a teams chance at a super bowl than any other position and it isn’t even close.

QB

OL
WR
RB
ST
DL
LB
DB

notice the gap between qb and the rest.
while defense wins championships... you can outscore a lot of teams with a good offense.

as a Memphis fan, we had a long streak of top rated defenses.

we lost a lot of games against good SEC teams with scores like 6-3

its great to be able to hold a team to 2 field goals, but it doesnt matter at all if we only score 1 fg.

We all know that in today's NFL Quarterback is without a doubt the most important position group. However, after that there are many questions to what is more important. Here are my positional group rankings most important to win a super bowl in today's NFL.

1. QB
2. DLine
3. OLine
4. Linebackers
5. WR/TE
6. Secondary
7. RB
8. Special Teams (K/P)

Oline is absolutely 1st.... Russell Wilson has been running for his life the last several years, and they haven't sniffed a SB appearance --- the achilles of the Seahawks (Oline)

DLINE is second - and the Titans should know the negative side effects all too well of no pass rush.....

I would argue Secondary is 3rd. You can somewhat disguise your defense if you can counter balance a good offense with outstanding coverage corners.

Quarterback is about 3rd if not 4th.... Trent Dilfer won a SB, Joe Flacco won a SB, Kerry Collins went to a SB, Nick Foles is a SB MVP........

Watt was a generational DE. Reggie White was too. No Super Bowls. Generational QBs have a far bigger impact on a teams chance at a super bowl than any other position and it isn’t even close.

I agree. That is why I think there is a "co-efficient" to assess. The term "generational" is such a coefficient, although it is imprecise and subjective to a degree. A numeric coefficient helps differentiate between grades of "generational".

And let's not forget- QB's have the greatest impact in TODAY'S game of football. About 20-25 years ago, the rules shifted to encourage higher scoring.

Jim Brown carried his team for years. The Steel Curtain (ughh) did the same. The Bears defense did as well. Those are just immediate examples. Point is- numerics more precise to assess impact.

QB and OL are 1 and 2, without a doubt. If you can't keep your QB upright, you won't keep him healthy. And historically, winning % among back-up QBs is pretty terrible.

I'd go DL at no.3, followed closely by WR/TE @ no. 4.

5. Secondary.
6. LB
7. RB
8. ST

I agree. That is why I think there is a "co-efficient" to assess. The term "generational" is such a coefficient, although it is imprecise and subjective to a degree. A numeric coefficient helps differentiate between grades of "generational".

And let's not forget- QB's have the greatest impact in TODAY'S game of football. About 20-25 years ago, the rules shifted to encourage higher scoring.

Jim Brown carried his team for years. The Steel Curtain (ughh) did the same. The Bears defense did as well. Those are just immediate examples. Point is- numerics more precise to assess impact.

Absolutely agree on QB being the most important in “Today’s” game. But generally we are on the same page. No one player on a team makes more of an impact on success than a QB. But if you just have a great QB and nothing else, you won’t likely win a super bowl. But a great QB can overcome more weaknesses on a team than any other single player.

And the Oilers passed on White
I may be mistaken but Reggie would have been an expensive get from the USFL correct?
Not Reggie, but Ray Childress really good. He probably gets overlooked in the big scheme because 85’ also had Kevin Greene, White, Bruce Smith, and Chris Doleman.

It's a team game. Dominant Defenses have won SBs without high class talent signal callers. Ask Mahomes how important a solid OL is. It is true that a great QB is awesome, but like @HurrayTitans! said, give any QB time and they'll murder you. So I am going OL, DL, then QB.

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Doug Williams say hello.
Peyton Manning ala 2015, Big Ben 2005. Good QBs, terrible seasons.
That list is without adding all the weak QBs that make it to the game or fall just 1 game shy.
Total falsehood that you need a top QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back