Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be mistaken but Reggie would have been an expensive get from the USFL correct?
Not Reggie, but Ray Childress really good. He probably gets overlooked in the big scheme because 85’ also had Kevin Greene, White, Bruce Smith, and Chris Doleman.
I'll have to look...it was a Supplemental Draft but not sure what it cost getting him from the Memphis team

Just to put it out there, back in the day before uppercase, lowercase, # passwords, Ray Childress was an often used password. Beast player!

Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco, and Doug Williams say hello.

So four Super Bowls about the last what, 30? So almost 90% of the time you need a great QB to win a Super Bowl. And those examples you give did not just have a great player at another position but an in ordinate amount of them to over come the weakness at QB. Thank you for proving my point.

So four Super Bowls about the last what, 30? So almost 90% of the time you need a great QB to win a Super Bowl. And those examples you give did not just have a great player at another position but an in ordinate amount of them to over come the weakness at QB. Thank you for proving my point.
Oh please! No QB has won without fantastic teams. Peyton won his 2nd with no arm.... All of Brady’s teams have had excellent players, especially on defense. Giants got two- pretty real sure the other Manning was not the reason. Why has Rodgers only won one? He not great or something? What did Mahomes look like without his Tackles last year? Looked like he was a victim running in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie. Your point sucks, and you should feel bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Flacco had “an inordinate amount” of great players to cover for him?

I think it’s relevant to point out the QBs who were only 1 game away from winning it all.
Jared Goff, Colin Kapernick/Alex smith, Matt Hasselbeck, Rex grossman/Kyle orton, cam Newton, Steve McNair, Jake delhomme, Kerry Collins, all made it to the SB, most of which lost to the buzz saw that is Tom Brady/Bellicheck. (All since 99’)

tons more examples of teams carrying mediocre QBs to conference championship games.
A superstar QB absolutely helps buts is absolutely NOT required to win a SB.

It's a team game. Dominant Defenses have won SBs without high class talent signal callers. Ask Mahomes how important a solid OL is. It is true that a great QB is awesome, but like @HurrayTitans! said, give any QB time and they'll murder you. So I am going OL, DL, then QB.

I think it’s relevant to point out the QBs who were only 1 game away from winning it all.
Jared Goff, Colin Kapernick/Alex smith, Matt Hasselbeck, Rex grossman/Kyle orton, cam Newton, Steve McNair, Jake delhomme, Kerry Collins, all made it to the SB, most of which lost to the buzz saw that is Tom Brady/Bellicheck. (All since 99’)

tons more examples of teams carrying mediocre QBs to conference championship games.
He would have noticed that very point had he quoted our immediate response after I posted those "4" examples.

Nope, not required. Only 26 times out of 30.

Oh please! No QB has won without fantastic teams. Peyton won his 2nd with no arm.... All of Brady’s teams have had excellent players, especially on defense. Giants got two- pretty real sure the other Manning was not the reason. Why has Rodgers only won one? He not great or something? What did Mahomes look like without his Tackles last year? Looked like he was a victim running in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie. Your point sucks, and you should feel bad.

Supporting cast will always matter. But the consistent factor year in and year out is having a great QB. In both Raven wins they had a dominant defense, and one year it was perhaps the best ever assembled. The Bucs with Brad Johnson was similar. Broncos in Manning’s last year was the same story. So sure, if you have a world class defense then yes, you can win with an average QB. But this is an argument about one player making the biggest difference in winning a super bowl. If you have great players at every level of a defense they can, a couple of times a decade, win the super bowl. But far more often, having a great quarterback with an adequate defense gets the job done.

Supporting cast will always matter. But the consistent factor year in and year out is having a great QB. In both Raven wins they had a dominant defense, and one year it was perhaps the best ever assembled. The Bucs with Brad Johnson was similar. Broncos in Manning’s last year was the same story. So sure, if you have a world class defense then yes, you can win with an average QB. But this is an argument about one player making the biggest difference in winning a super bowl. If you have great players at every level of a defense they can, a couple of times a decade, win the super bowl. But far more often, having a great quarterback with an adequate defense gets the job done.
I am not being picky, but are you saying that Brady did not have fantastic defenses when he won his SBs? Serious question. I can't run it off the top of my head, but they must of been at least 15 or better. Better than half the league at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
2012 ravens ranked 12th in Def points, 17th by yards. Super elite.

last 30 SB
Rypien
Aikman
Steve Young
Favre
Elway
Warner
Dilfer
Johnson
Brady
Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Wilson
Foles
Flacco
Eli Manning
Mahomes

you count 26 out of 30 as superstar QBs?
Let’s also keep in mind that Peytons second SB win was an awful QB year (arguably the worst ever to win a SB) and Big Ben’s first SB year was mediocre at best.
Eli isn’t considered part of that same “elite” level as the rest, unless you think he is.
We already established dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, and Foles are not there
At the 30 year mark is 1 year wonder Mark Rypien.

So in 30 years, I count 9 mediocre or worse QBto win. That’s almost 1/3. the fact that the same QBs repeated so many times doesn’t really help your point knowing how may QBs are that “elite” level not winning.

NOT required.

I am not being picky, but are you saying that Brady did not have fantastic defenses when he won his SBs? Serious question. I can't run it off the top of my head, but they must of been at least 15 or better. Better than half the league at the time.
His first 3 SB had solid defenses. His first, he was almost a non factor w/ around 2700, 17/10 or close to that.

His first 3 SB had solid defenses. His first, he was almost a non factor w/ around 2700, 17/10 or close to that.
He also had this guy named Randy Moss at one time, Gronk, Welker, Eddleman, Hernandez. I know a bunch of scrubs too, but it ain't like he had nothing when he was winning the big games.

2012 ravens ranked 12th in Def points, 17th by yards. Super elite.

last 30 SB
Rypien
Aikman
Steve Young
Favre
Elway
Warner
Dilfer
Johnson
Brady
Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Wilson
Foles
Flacco
Eli Manning
Mahomes

you count 26 out of 30 as superstar QBs?
Let’s also keep in mind that Peytons second SB win was an awful QB year (arguably the worst ever to win a SB) and Big Ben’s first SB year was mediocre at best.
Eli isn’t considered part of that same “elite” level as the rest, unless you think he is.
We already established dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, and Foles are not there
At the 30 year mark is 1 year wonder Mark Rypien.

So in 30 years, I count 9 mediocre or worse QBto win. That’s almost 1/3. the fact that the same QBs repeated so many times doesn’t really help your point knowing how may QBs are that “elite” level not winning.

NOT required.
Young, Warner, Breez were loaded too!

Maybe top 15. But top 15 is very different than top in league or top of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back