Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe top 15. But top 15 is very different than top in league or top of all time.
Also not disagreeing with top tier QBs not being very important, I just think the fronts more so. Again, I go back to Mahomes last year after losing his 2nd Tackle. It was over after that.

2012 ravens ranked 12th in Def points, 17th by yards. Super elite.

last 30 SB
Rypien
Aikman
Steve Young
Favre
Elway
Warner
Dilfer
Johnson
Brady
Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Wilson
Foles
Flacco
Eli Manning
Mahomes

you count 26 out of 30 as superstar QBs?
Let’s also keep in mind that Peytons second SB win was an awful QB year (arguably the worst ever to win a SB) and Big Ben’s first SB year was mediocre at best.
Eli isn’t considered part of that same “elite” level as the rest, unless you think he is.
We already established dilfer, Johnson, Flacco, and Foles are not there
At the 30 year mark is 1 year wonder Mark Rypien.

So in 30 years, I count 9 mediocre or worse QBto win. That’s almost 1/3. the fact that the same QBs repeated so many times doesn’t really help your point knowing how may QBs are that “elite” level not winning.

NOT required.

Eli Manning is going to be in the Hall of Fame. So we can debate how good he is but he had great season and played great in the playoffs. He was incredibly clutch. So he was a good QB and had years of great. Roethlisberger is also a hall of fame QB. But yes, had a strong defense and running game but he was a good QB that turned into a great one—HOF.

Mediocre, I count Johnson, Flacco, Dilfer, Foles, and Rypien. Out of thirty that is not very many.

I never said required. I said no other single position makes more of a difference in winning a Super Bowl.

Eli Manning is going to be in the Hall of Fame. So we can debate how good he is but he had great season and played great in the playoffs. He was incredibly clutch. So he was a good QB and had years of great. Roethlisberger is also a hall of fame QB. But yes, had a strong defense and running game but he was a good QB that turned into a great one—HOF.

Mediocre, I count Johnson, Flacco, Dilfer, Foles, and Rypien. Out of thirty that is not very many.

I never said required. I said no other single position makes more of a difference in winning a Super Bowl.
Rothlisburger had insane receivers and killer D’S as well. Eli doesn’t deserve the HOF.... I get it though. I’m still with @HurrayTitans! with OL (1), DL (2), QB (3). We most likely the minority in that opinion, but think we made adequate cases. That’s the fun of GoTits!

No argument for either being HoF BUT, that doesn’t make Big ben’s 2005 season any good. He wasn’t but won a SB. Same thing with Peyton Manning, no question first ballot but his 2015 SB was the absolute worst season a QB has ever had and won the SB. He was awful that year.

Eli will get in, that doesn’t make him a superstar QB although that is a debated point. Kenny stabler and Joe Namath are HoFers, easily more than 1 tier down from say a John elway or joe Montana. Any given year, Eli was a top 10 QB was he ever really a top 5?

My point overall is there is a huge misunderstanding on how “mandatory” these top tier QBs are. We see it almost every year, a highly competitive team with a weaker QB or ever 2-3 years, a QB that doesn’t fit this superstar mold playing in the SB if not winning.
It’s been proven, multiple times, and recently, that you can win the SB without a top QB. What seems harder to prove is if you can win it with a weak Defense.

Protect a QB and marginal QB is all you “need”. Make even the best QBs uncomfortable, they are extremely beatable.
OL and DL are more important than QB.

Edit: also, dilfer was never mediocre. Brad Johnson really wasn’t either. I think Flacco is somewhat under rated but not great and rypien also had one of the greatest triplet WR corps of all time plus Byner rushing (and a GREAT OL).

Still think Eli doesn’t deserve the HOF. Top 10 isn’t good enough. Can’t have 12 QBs in an era making it. Rivers deserves that honor before Eli, even though Forehead 2 has those Super Bowls.

Rothlisburger had insane receivers and killer D’S as well. Eli doesn’t deserve the HOF.... I get it though. I’m still with @HurrayTitans! with OL (1), DL (2), QB (3). We most likely the minority in that opinion, but think we made adequate cases. That’s the fun of GoTits!
Eli will get in for 2 SB victories. His career numbers are also really high regardless that all QBs in his era sky rocketed.
Big Ben’s 2009 season was good. It’s just his 05’ SB that was a weak QB winning games the SB.

No argument for either being HoF BUT, that doesn’t make Big ben’s 2005 season any good. He wasn’t but won a SB. Same thing with Peyton Manning, no question first ballot but his 2015 SB was the absolute worst season a QB has ever had and won the SB. He was awful that year.

Eli will get in, that doesn’t make him a superstar QB although that is a debated point. Kenny stabler and Joe Namath are HoFers, easily more than 1 tier down from say a John elway or joe Montana. Any given year, Eli was a top 10 QB was he ever really a top 5?

My point overall is there is a huge misunderstanding on how “mandatory” these top tier QBs are. We see it almost every year, a highly competitive team with a weaker QB or ever 2-3 years, a QB that doesn’t fit this superstar mold playing in the SB if not winning.
It’s been proven, multiple times, and recently, that you can win the SB without a top QB. What seems harder to prove is if you can win it with a weak Defense.

Protect a QB and marginal QB is all you “need”. Make even the best QBs uncomfortable, they are extremely beatable.
OL and DL are more important than QB.

Edit: also, dilfer was never mediocre. Brad Johnson really wasn’t either. I think Flacco is somewhat under rated but not great and rypien also had one of the greatest triplet WR corps of all time plus Byner rushing (and a GREAT OL).
To your edit, Theisman was like that too! Had the Pigs, Riggins, and a stellar Wr in Monk. He made the HOF off of that line IMO

QB
RB
DL
LB
OL
WR
DB
TE
ST

QB and RB touch the ball the most, they have the biggest influence on offense

DL is the fist line of defense then LB

ST is last only because of the percentage of plays theyre involved in

QB
RB
DL
LB
OL
WR
DB
TE
ST

QB and RB touch the ball the most, they have the biggest influence on offense

DL is the fist line of defense then LB

ST is last only because of the percentage of plays theyre involved in
Then Center has to be way up there.... I kid i kid

QB, pass rush and then everything else. IMO WR is always lower than it should be. Even a great QB needs guys who can get separation and make plays. That takes a huge amount of pressure off the QB and the OL. Indy used that strategy to win a bunch of games when Manning was there. Oh, and even with Manning and Harrison they still invested in a top quality RBs. When I say everything else besides QB and pass rush I also mean you can't have garbage everywhere else. You still need some quality across the board. What becomes difficult is retaining quality players when you are paying a good QB, pass rushers and WRs. But this idea you can just have garbage at WR if you have a good QB is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back