Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
According to Adam Schefter tonight on NFL Total Access, that's the contract they were closing in on last weekend when it fell apart because the Titans-Ravens couldn't agree to compensation. It's $11 million bonus and $1 salary next year. Don't know how many years it would entail.

But the raven, sitting lonely on that placid bust, spoke only
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered; not a feather then he fluttered;
Till I scarcely more than muttered, "Other friends have flown before;
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before."
Then the bird said, "Nevermore."

McNair and Ravens Reach Agreement

SUMMARY: According to reports on NFL.com, QB Steve McNair has agreed on the structure of a contract in the event he is dealt to the Baltimore Ravens. The deal would give McNair a signing bonus of nearly $11 million and a $1 million base salary. The report did not specify how the length of the contract, but agent Bus Cook has reported that the is deal is "almost double the same money over three years that Tennessee had on the table." Trade negotiations between the Ravens and Titans are not underway though reports earlier this week indicate Tennessee is looking for a fourth-round pick and Baltimore was only willing to give up a fifth.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

So, is the signing bonus an immediate hit against the cap or is that value prorated as far as what cap impact it hits?

I am just trying to determine what, if any, counter offer the Titans might consider in trying to keep him.

My guess is they won't.

No. It only means there appears to be an agreement with a contract IF McNair is traded or released.

But none of this tells us how much of that money was guaranteed or how much is paid in base for years two and three.

For all we know, he gets the $11 mil signing bonus and just something in the range of $1-$2 mil per year with nothing guaranteed beyond '06.

Assuming a three-year deal, that would mean something in the $4 - $6 mil a year against the cap.

If the Titans were to do the very same thing, that would throw the cap figure around $8.5 - $9 mil a year when you divide the cap of $13.5 mil he has now by three seasons.

If the Titans offer the same deal, we are talking about freeing $14.5 mil in '06.

TitanJeff said:
No. It only means there appears to be an agreement with a contract IF McNair is traded or released.

But none of this tells us how much of that money was guaranteed or how much is paid in base for years two and three.

For all we know, he gets the $11 mil signing bonus and just something in the range of $1-$2 mil per year with nothing guaranteed beyond '06.

Assuming a three-year deal, that would mean something in the $4 - $6 mil a year against the cap.

If the Titans were to do the very same thing, that would throw the cap figure around $8.5 - $9 mil a year when you divide the cap of $13.5 mil he has now by three seasons.

If the Titans offer the same deal, we are talking about freeing $14.5 mil in '06.
that way we could keep Mac and maybe sign an Ahmad Plummer:rotfl: :toast: :drunk: :chuck:

Soxcat said:
I'm not sure how we free 14.5 million when cutting the guy only frees around 10 million.
Let me try this again now that I've had some coffee. My amount was cap savings from the $23.5 mil figure McNair is currently on the books for now. $13.5 in restructured cap + $10 for base/bonus for '06.

It appears the Ravens are willing to pay a signing bonus of $11 mil and pay a base of $1 mil in '06. Assuming it goes up a little for the next two years, we are talking a three-year deal around in the $15 - $18 mil range but the hit on '06 for them is less than $5 mil.

Let's say the Titans do the same thing.

That $13.5 on the books gets spread over three seasons which is $4.5 mil a year. Add that to the $5 for the new contract and you have a total of $9.5 towards the cap in '06 (vs the $13.5) or a savings of $4 mil in '06 if you cut McNair because the full $13.5 mil will go against the '06 cap (which is $14 mil less than what he is currently scheduled to count against the cap if the contract isn't reworked at all).

I don't know if the Titans would want to match that deal if they intend Young to start in '07. If McNair is off the books, that $13.5 mil of cap is gone next year.

Starkiller can jump in here but let's play out the numbers:

McNair is resigned to a three-year deal with an $11 mil bonus, a $1 mil base in '06, a $1.5 mil in '07 and a $2 mil in '08 which totals $15.5 mil.

In '06:
Current cap: $4.5 mil
Pro-rated SB for new deal: $3.6 mil
Base: $1 mil

TOTAL for '06: $9.1 mil against the cap. (If we release him, the cap hit is $13.5 mil)

In '07 the cap hit goes up to $9.6 and it is $10.1 in '07.

Total cap hit for the three years is $28.8 mil which is more than double what you have in the $13.5 if you release McNair now.

I don't see the Titans willing to pay a backup QB $5.1 mil in '07 and $5.6 mil in '07 which means there is likely no way the Titans would offer that much signing bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back