Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
I have been really impressed with the Texans and where they are going. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them competing for the division. They will be ALOT tougher this year. There defense is young AND improving with star-caliber players. I am also concerned that Kubiak will be able to design schemes to make up for their OL weakness.

The gap has closed. (I also think the gap has closed on the Colts as well.) Should be an interesting year in the conference.

I agree, in part.

The Texans defense is building very impressively. They are going to be a dominant defense sooner rather than later. They still have big questions at the skill positions on offense for mine. Schaub is a gamble, they are scratching for quality starters opposite AJ and their RB situation may not be much better than ours with an ageing Ahman Green and Ron Dayne.

If they can squeak 17-20 points a game out of their offense, they will be competitive.

I do agree that our division will be interesting. Jacksonville look to be improving (as they do every off-season), and if they can get some stability out of their QB situation they should post a winning record.

The Colts are the Colts. The law of averages also says that at some stage in his career Manning is going to miss some time with an injury (Favre's record notwithstanding). How the Colts manage if this happens is a BIG question mark.

(p.s. Nice Heads sig Riverman - now I'm not the only one with song lyrics for a sig)

The Texans still stink, IMHO. They may be marginally better, but they still have a terrible OLine and no #2 WR to take the heat off Johnson. At QB, Shaub is the new Rob Johnson until he proves otherwise. Their DLine is looking pretty good (assuming their last 3 1st round picks all show up this year), but Demeco Ryans and Dunta Robinson are still the only 2 good players they have behind that line...

Texans OLB & secondary will kill them this year. The only impact player in the back 7 is Ryans.

Offensive line is still suspect also.

I don't see that way at all guys. Defense is young and except Okoye have some experience they didn't have last year.

Schaub is a proven back-up vet. IMO, he has had enough experience and fits well enough with Kubiak's system to make an immediate impact. Green should have his legs back. I agree the OL still needs work- but Kubiak has had a year to get the zone blocking scheme installed and fine-tuned.

I'm no longer comfortable saying they stink or penciling in a win.

Riverman said:
I don't see that way at all guys. Defense is young and except Okoye have some experience they didn't have last year.
Their D isn't that young. Their OLBs have both played for 4 years or more. Their #2 CB has been around for 5 years. Their safeties are both still on their rookie contracts (3rd and 4th years), but they also aren't particularly good, either...

Schaub is a proven back-up vet. IMO, he has had enough experience and fits well enough with Kubiak's system to make an immediate impact.
He has 6 career TDs and 6 career INTs in 3 seasons. That's what you call proven? He's a much hyped backup. But he has proven nothing in terms of actually playing...

Green should have his legs back.
No doubt he's an improvement over what they had, but he's not going to carry this team.

I agree the OL still needs work- but Kubiak has had a year to get the zone blocking scheme installed and fine-tuned.
I don't believe it should take a year to implement a new blocking scheme, especially since they were using zone blocking the last season under Capers.

I'm no longer comfortable saying they stink or penciling in a win.
They still stink. But hey... we ain't that good either...

Riverman said:
Proof will be in the pudding. We'll see. I'll bet they don't get swept by Colts or Jags (but hopefully us.)
they didnt get swept by either team last year, so how is it improvement?

I think the Texans will only get better on defense but I think Schaub will need a year working with the offense and Green is very suspect at RB behind a below average OL. And, as SK said, they don't have much depth at WR.

Having said that, I have as many, if not more, concerns about our own team.

Right now I see the Texans as a poor-man's Jaguars... with more questions on offense. Jaguars always seem to be right on the cusp of being a great team in the offseason... until the season starts and they just forget to show up some games. Texans always seem to be pretty questionable, but then they occasionally decide to show up for some games and surprise a few teams. Even though their record doesn't really show it, I think the Texans have shown some good improvement lately - if Schaub doesn't tank they'll be better this year. Kubiak probably needs another few years to really straighten the ship out.

bigtitan53279 said:
they didnt get swept by either team last year, so how is it improvement?

In a roundabout way- I'm saying I'm not confident we are going to sweep them. I also see them having at least 2 more wins outside the conference play.

It should definitely be an interesting division race, but I'm doubtful enough of their offense that I can't see them really compete for the title. They might knock someone else into the cellar, but I couldn't see them in the playoff hunt. The division is due for a shakeup though, it's been consistent for too long.

GoTitans3801 said:
It should definitely be an interesting division race, but I'm doubtful enough of their offense that I can't see them really compete for the title. They might knock someone else into the cellar, but I couldn't see them in the playoff hunt. The division is due for a shakeup though, it's been consistent for too long.

Yea, Texans are the only team that would surprise me to win the division. We finished ahead of the Jags last year, and I see us staying even with them again this year. Colts could easily fall pretty hard this year... making it a really interesting 3-way race. Jags are underperformers, Titans are overperformers, and Colts struggled pretty bad within the division last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back