Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I agree with some of the views in this thread. Looks like a bit of drama for dramas sake to me.

- Henry's deal is team friendly.
- Henry outproduced his deal, therefore his production can drop and we would still be getting good value
- Evans will play more in the next year or two. Henry's carries should drop. We did invest in the RB position last year. Give Evans a chance rather than saying we should have picked Swift or Taylor.

I get the argument that a strength is a strength, until it isn't, and that that can happen very quickly in the NFL. As listed above though, we've done everything possible to mitigate the RB position and the O falling off a cliff.

Henry is the best RB in the game and is in his prime. JRob spent a 3rd rounder on a RB because he realizes that he has a special player in Henry and wants to try and extend his career with us. Unfortunately JRob’s cursed 2020 offseason hit Evans with the injury bug.

Tanny and Henry make each other better...if Tanny wasn’t able to throw darts then teams would just totally load the box to stop Henry....if Teams weren’t worried about Henry they could more easily scheme to stop Tanny....and JRob got them both locked up last offseason.

The best way to extend Henry’s career is to improve our defense so that we can build a lead and feel comfortable resting Henry.

I don’t see the 2K season shortening Henry’s career hardly at all. Track record from previous 2K rushers says about the same.

Carries in their 2K season:
Dickerson -379, the next season 292 (missed 2 games) He played another 9 seasons with 4 reaching 1K

Peterson -348, the next season 279. He has 10 more seasons, 3 over 1K

Lewis -387, the next 235 missing 4 games. He played 6 more seasons, 4 over 1K

Sanders -335 in his 9th season, the next year, his last, increased to 343 carries for 1400 yds

Davis -392, his next only had 67 as his chronic injury of migraines was well documented. He tried to tough out 3 more seasons.

CJ2K -358, his next 316. 8 more seasons, 4 over 1K

Simpson -332 (14 games), 270 the next year. He played 6 more, 3 over 1K.

Henry’s 378 carries are on par with the rest (4th highest of 8). Only his second season w/ 300 carries.

No reason to expect anything less than 4-5 more quality seasons just as the rest (minus Davis and Sanders) did. Sanders was so late in his career and still retired “surprisingly” early.

We should expect lower carries next year but no reason to think dramatically less. He’s not reaching EG number of carries yet.

Derrick Henry, our best player, maybe the best pure rusher of all time. Coming off one of the most historic rushing seasons in NFL history.

All is well, until it's not anymore.

Every back who has ever hit 2k has had a very steep decline the next season, given this history, the fact that Henry has led the league in carries the past 2 seasons+playoff carries, and the physical nature of his game. Are the wheels primed to fall off?

And if they do, then what? Our passing game will likely take a step backward already, if we don't have Henry taking the attention off our receivers and making our play action lethal, what does this offense look like?

Even if it's not this year, Henry's days of being an absolute workhorse are limited and it seems like there's no contingency plan.

We have Evans and McNichols(?), who no one is going to be scared off, and one great wr coming off a double knee surgery.

Was a 2k season and a Wildcard exit worth shortening Henry/our window? Or will we finally transition into a modern offense and learn that a good passing attack is the key to a superbowl?

This ...
This is a good "Off-season" thread , love the topic.

Derrick Henry, our best player, maybe the best pure rusher of all time. Coming off one of the most historic rushing seasons in NFL history.

All is well, until it's not anymore.

Every back who has ever hit 2k has had a very steep decline the next season, given this history, the fact that Henry has led the league in carries the past 2 seasons+playoff carries, and the physical nature of his game. Are the wheels primed to fall off?

And if they do, then what? Our passing game will likely take a step backward already, if we don't have Henry taking the attention off our receivers and making our play action lethal, what does this offense look like?

Even if it's not this year, Henry's days of being an absolute workhorse are limited and it seems like there's no contingency plan.

We have Evans and McNichols(?), who no one is going to be scared off, and one great wr coming off a double knee surgery.

Was a 2k season and a Wildcard exit worth shortening Henry/our window? Or will we finally transition into a modern offense and learn that a good passing attack is the key to a superbowl?

He’s a 250 lb running back who can run a 4.4. He’s built to handle a heavy workload and clearly does a great job preparing his body in the offseason. Not worried about him at all. He’s a stud. I’m not expecting another 2000 yard season but he’ll be fine.

The only thing that will make Henry's game decline is contigent of who our #2 WR and #1 TE will be.

On paper Corey Davis, Jonnu Smith and Adam Hump is more than enough to keep 8 men out the box.

If all 3 are gone, then it could be a pretty basic year for Henry. Let's hope we can address those positions. It shouldn't be that hard either.
I don't necessarily agree with this, life comes at you fast as an NFL RB. I do agree that we need to address the loss of talent on O though.

I don't necessarily agree with this, life comes at you fast as an NFL RB. I do agree that we need to address the loss of talent on O though.

I just say that because the less weapons we have on offense, the more the defense can stack the box on Henry.

Henry will still beast out, no matter what.

If Henry drops 400 yds from last year that's still a hell of a season still puts him in the race for league rusher.

The guy is a gym freak, he doesn't work out just because he plays football he has the gym bug. Dude knows how to look after his body. He's had 2 full seasons as a starter and 1 full season at bama. The guy has easy 3 4 years in his prime the way he is conditioned.

Picking up a valid no. 2 wr is a priority for PA, Evans is serviceable for giving Henry a break however just AJ receiving ain't as like what was said they'll just load the box and for some reason we can't run a good screen pass.

When Henry declines, it will be because that is simply the natural order of things. It won't be because he doubles down on the triple cheeseburgers. The guy is a consummate professional and team player.

When he regresses, he'll drift to the norm of an average back long before his production "falls off" a cliff. I'm more worried about our O-line and how we seem to have trouble keeping productive guys for the long haul. Lewan, Kelly, Jones solid for several more years, not sure about the others. If we keep a decent OL intact, a "declined" Henry plus a complement back should keep us productive.

I fully believe Evans will break out this year if healthy. He looked really explosive as a returner (and in limited rushes) at the end of last year and the guy can straight up move through space. I could see him taking a lot of pressure off Henry early.

I fully believe Evans will break out this year if healthy. He looked really explosive as a returner (and in limited rushes) at the end of last year and the guy can straight up move through space. I could see him taking a lot of pressure off Henry early.

I believe he is a very good pass catcher as well. Maybe we will see more successful screens and different looks with both of them on the field. I think Evans could be a match up issue for linebackers.

Henry doesnt come off as the type to "fall off". Hes going to be pissed about that playoff loss all season.

And with a 17th game dont be surprised when he becomes the first player to repeat a 2000-yard campaign.

As a guy who was against re-signing Henry and drafting JT instead....
Henry is an absolute freak of nature and I'm glad weve got him.
From a team building standpoint, I would never pay an RB. I would draft a new RB in the 2nd round every 4 years.
But if any RB can be worth the money and longer deal, it's :henry:

bridge to be crossed when it happens...

want to extend DH22s career?

get someone else on the roster who can actually effectively rush the ball behind the Titans mexican blocking OL

If Henry regresses we will just get our own version of Jerome Bettis, get us 3 yards maybe 4-5 if he fall down going forward. When Henry loses that break away speed he should just bulk up to 260lbs and Alstott MFers. Wear the neck roll and everything.

Henry doesnt come off as the type to "fall off". Hes going to be pissed about that playoff loss all season.

And with a 17th game dont be surprised when he becomes the first player to repeat a 2000-yard campaign.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was the first to ever do it. Every interview i have seen him in since the season ended he brings up how pissed off he is at how it ended and its great to hear. I do hope we throw a little more next season though.

This. But my guess is it is not 50-50. I would say Tannehill benefits a bit more from Henry. 60/40?
Without Henry dominating QB isn't offering much to take over games. When we win and go on a run it's because of Henry. I says it's more 75/25, Tammy needs Henry more than Henry needs him, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back