Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really not sure where the narrative that he's been underwhelming has come from. For example, here's how his 3 best years compare to Jonnu's 3 best years (they each had one dud year so I left that out - Jonnu was a rookie in his worst year, and OJ was injured last season):

Jonnu:
2018: 20 rec, 258 yards (12.9 ypc), 3 TD
2019: 35 rec, 439 yards (12.5 ypc), 3 TD
2020: 41 rec, 448 yards (10.9 ypc), 8 TD

OJ:
2017: 26 rec, 432 yards (16.6 ypc), 6 TD
2018: 34 rec, 565 yards (16.6 ypc), 5 TD - only played in 10 games
2019: 34 rec, 459 yards (13.5 ypc), 1 TD

From a receiving productivity standpoint, his production is very similar, if not better than Jonnu. His blocking is a question mark simply from the fact that it would take studying game film to know if it's good or not. But he's more than worth his $6M salary this year, and definitely worth a mid round pick if that's what it would take to get him.

The problem really is his contract length. He would just be a one year rental, and then we'd either have to give him a bag of cash, tag him (I like this idea most), or let him go and just get a compensatory pick for him.
Those are the kind of stats you don’t trade for and don’t sign for $10+ mil.
Why are these two so coveted again?

According to overthecap.com, if OJ Howard is released, his 6million dollar salary would all be dead money. It's showing that the only way the 6million will be cleared is if he is traded. The NFL salary cap is probably in my top of 3 most confusing things I've ever tried to understand(along side women and politics)

I don't even know if that's correct, I wouldn't think so. I think those cap sites are just off sometimes. Obviously, ideally, he gets cut and we can get him on a 1 year, 2 million dollar deal or something. I don't think we could even afford him if he was 6 million anyways, so I hope overthecap.com is wrong and he gets released lol
I doubt he's released or traded, because why??? Unless they get offered a 3rd or better.

If he does get released for some odd reason, no chance in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks we (or anyone else for that matter) can sign him for $2 million.

I doubt he's released or traded, because why??? Unless they get offered a 3rd or better.

If he does get released for some odd reason, no chance in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks we (or anyone else for that matter) can sign him for $2 million.

He could get traded because they need the cap space to sign rookies and because they have 2 other very capable tight ends. They can't release him. Theyd have to trade him in order to save the cap space they need

A ruptured Achilles isn’t an easy injury to recover from. Howard ruptured his in early October. The 5th yr options are guaranteed for injury and so that is why the Bucs couldn’t just cut him like we did Adoree. The Bucs are in a tough spot because I doubt a team is gonna want to trade for Howard until he passes a physical. We do know that JRob loves him some injured players though

I loved Howard when he came out and was hoping we'd draft him. I was surprised when we went on the clock at #18 that he was still available. We ended up drafting Adoree instead and the Bucs took him with the next pick.

I would love to get him here in this offense. He immediately replaces most of the production we got from Jonnu and we don't have to use a pick on TE this year.

Those are the kind of stats you don’t trade for and don’t sign for $10+ mil.
Why are these two so coveted again?
Well for one thing, OJ has never finished a season. Yes, injury is a concern. But the other side of the coin is that if stays healthy and plays 16 games, he's in the top 5 in production for TE's.

I mean have you seen TE production in the league? There's Kelce, Waller, and then a huge gulf to the rest of the league. Howard was on pace in his second season to get near 1k yards and 8 TD's.

That's the kind of production teams pay crazy money for, and the talent to put up that kind of season doesn't come available on the market very often.

Well for one thing, OJ has never finished a season. Yes, injury is a concern. But the other side of the coin is that if stays healthy and plays 16 games, he's in the top 5 in production for TE's.

I mean have you seen TE production in the league? There's Kelce, Waller, and then a huge gulf to the rest of the league. Howard was on pace in his second season to get near 1k yards and 8 TD's.

That's the kind of production teams pay crazy money for, and the talent to put up that kind of season doesn't come available on the market very often.
I see that as almost 1 good season but the 2 seasons in which he played 14 games seems closer to his regular production. Tons of NFL scrubs have had good 8 game stretches.
I’ll even give Howard benefit, he is better than a scrub. He just isn’t worth trading anything for or paying top TE dollar for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back