Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
5 of the 11 SB winners over this time have finished outside the top 10 in defense. Only 2 offenses have won it while finishing outside the top 10. I don't know how much plainer I can make it. You said "Defense wins championships." I'm telling you, that simply isn't the case anymore.

I'm sure there is another graphic comparing playoff teams too. I'll look for one.

They NFL has changed dramatically over the last 10-15 years. If you don't have a good offense, you don't aren't winning many games anymore.
Defining it matters,
8 of the last 10 SB champs were a top 10 D, 1 was 11.

so when I say it not as simple, you’re already proving my point.
is a D better because of the yardage they prevent or the points?

And I agree the league has changed. Scoring is up, passing is way up, D’s can’t do the same beating they used, but the best still win in most cases.

You don’t understand the value of different positions. Big Jeff’s position in Vrabel’s defense does not have the impact to match the salary that will be demanded. OLB’s and CB’s are where you spend the money on defense. QB, WR and o-line on offense. Those are the positions the majority of your cap should be spent on.

The Titans defense is not the Ravens old school run stuffing 3-4 type D where you ask the front 3 to just occupy the blockers and let the LBers run free...it is a penetrating 3-4 as the base and then we are in a 4 man front about 40% of the time.

The guys that you should pay are guys who command double teams because they are the guys who make other players around them better. Big Jeff requires double teams or he will ruin your backfield.

The Titans defense is not the Ravens old school run stuffing 3-4 type D where you ask the front 3 to just occupy the blockers and let the LBers run free...it is a penetrating 3-4 as the base and then we are in a 4 man front about 40% of the time.

The guys that you should pay are guys who command double teams because they are the guys who make other players around them better. Big Jeff requires double teams or he will ruin your backfield.
It’s a whole lot easier to find a defensive lineman that requires double teams than an elite pass rusher or wide receiver.

Has made the SB.

before I bother continuing, do you think teams that are capable of winning the SB fall short of the SB game?
Do you think there are occasions where not the “best” team wins?
Do you think every team that does not make it/win it, failed at a strategy, roster building, approach?

it’s important because for as in depth as things like FA and contract negotiations get looked at, argued, and compared, winning the SB and QB value seem to be the most simplistic takes I’ve ever seen.

I think the graphic you copied probably has a lot more context that requires more than 2 teams each year on a chart.
you bringing logic to an emotion party

its all about tanking for the Magic GOAT

you know how the lions won all those Owls
or the brownies... or the Cardinals...

Tanking for the GOAT is the only way. Only team that wins Owl has GOAT

you bringing logic to an emotion party

its all about tanking for the Magic GOAT

you know how the lions won all those Owls
or the brownies... or the Cardinals...

Tanking for the GOAT is the only way. Only team that wins Owl has GOAT
the-goat-on-the-old-abondoned-russian-tank.jpg

It’s a whole lot easier to find a defensive lineman that requires double teams than an elite pass rusher or wide receiver.

The point is when you have a guy that requires double teams you pay him...just like the Chiefs did for Chris Jones. Jones makes both DEs and Lbers better.

he makes like 2-3 good plays a season these days, he's only holding on by the rep he gained a few years ago

most games he's completely invisible

Complete exaggeration but I get your point, at this point he’s a solid to good player for most of the season. Definitely a starting caliber player on a good team but not the game changer he used to be.

Defining it matters,
8 of the last 10 SB champs were a top 10 D, 1 was 11.

so when I say it not as simple, you’re already proving my point.
is a D better because of the yardage they prevent or the points?

And I agree the league has changed. Scoring is up, passing is way up, D’s can’t do the same beating they used, but the best still win in most cases.
ppg allowed vs ppg scored Superbowl champions past ten years:
Chiefs 16th 1st
Rams 15th 8th
Buccs 8th 4th
Chiefs 7th 5th
Pat's 7th 4th
Eagles 4th 3rd
Pat's 1st 3rd
Broncos 4th 19th
Pat's 8th 4th
Hawks 1st 9th

2/10 teams had a better D than O. And one of the two still had a top 10 offense lol. Defense wins championships is dead. Yes you still need a capable or even good or great D but if you're going to prioritize one side of the ball it is 100% offense.

Chiefs 16th 1st
Rams 15th 8th
Buccs 8th 4th
Chiefs 7th 5th
Pat's 7th 4th
Eagles 4th 3rd
Pat's 1st 3rd
Broncos 4th 19th
Pat's 8th 4th
Hawks 1st 9th

2/10 teams had a better D than O. And one of the two still had a top 10 offense lol. Defense wins championships is dead. Yes you still need a capable or even good or great D but if you're going to prioritize one side of the ball it is 100% offense.
We’re just going to disagree here.

those stats do a great job showing the importance of D.

that also doesn’t address most of the questions proposed in my previous response.

Chiefs 16th 1st
Rams 15th 8th
Buccs 8th 4th
Chiefs 7th 5th
Pat's 7th 4th
Eagles 4th 3rd
Pat's 1st 3rd
Broncos 4th 19th
Pat's 8th 4th
Hawks 1st 9th

lot of those Os were NOT #1.... so no GOAT therefore invalid

We’re just going to disagree here.

those stats do a great job showing the importance of D.

that also doesn’t address most of the questions proposed in my previous response.
Obviously d is important as well. It's just not as important as offense.

What questions? If yardage or points matter more? Points. Obviously.

And no the best D doesn't win in most cases. The last two Superbowl champs had average D's. The best D in the NFL this season finished last in their division and 27th in the NFL lol.

D stats are often of no value...

D shutting team down totally for 2 and a half quarters now team up by 3 scores and D stops blitzing and taking chances forcing/allowing O underneath stuff if they are paitent/grind clock.

so now the D gives up multiple drives, probably resulting in points, because of priority of getting W over grabbing stats

D stats are often of no value...

D shutting team down totally for 2 and a half quarters now team up by 3 scores and D stops blitzing and taking chances forcing/allowing O underneath stuff if they are paitent/grind clock.

so now the D gives up multiple drives, probably resulting in points, because of priority of getting W over grabbing stats
View attachment 20702

You can post your picture but he does make a point about the overall ranking and how it’s not just the number itself that determined everything about how that D or Offense ranks.

These questions:

do you think teams that are capable of winning the SB fall short of the SB game?
Do you think there are occasions where not the “best” team wins?
Do you think every team that does not make it/win it, failed at a strategy, roster building, approach?

this is where much more than just the ranking comes into play. That also means there should be a higher consideration regarding those rankings to the teams that didn’t reach the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back