Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s way overpaid for a safety. Cap number is 20 mil. That’s why the Titans roster is so bad now with little cap space. JRob paid the wrong positions. This makes me hopeful that Ran sees it.
No he's not. Crazy take. He has the 9th average salary. That's more than fair. He's lead our team in tackles the last 3 years in a row for crying out loud... even when we had an "elite" defense in 2021. If anything, Hooker is getting paid too much.
View attachment 20689

we are already at 36 million in dead money this year, it makes no sense to cut Byard, but trading him may. Problem is I do not see another team willing to pay him 20 million
No one is paying him $20M. That's just his cap hit to us because we restructured him (twice I believe). His salary is less than $14M. Plus, a trade at this point will probably come with a renegotiated extension. He only has 2 years left. Everyone can complain now, but we were praising the restructures when we resigned Tanny, Henry, Landy and traded for Julio.

I think it was fair for the Titans to ask if he was willing to take a pay cut. I also think it was fair for Byard to decline. I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue and we'll move on. At least I hope so.

No he's not. Crazy take. He has the 9th average salary. That's more than fair. He's lead our team in tackles the last 3 years in a row for crying out loud... even when we had an "elite" defense in 2021. If anything, Hooker is getting paid too much.
View attachment 20689

No one is paying him $20M. That's just his cap hit to us because we restructured him (twice I believe). His salary is less than $14M. Plus, a trade at this point will probably come with a renegotiated extension. He only has 2 years left. Everyone can complain now, but we were praising the restructures when we resigned Tanny, Henry, Landy and traded for Julio.

I think it was fair for the Titans to ask if he was willing to take a pay cut. I also think it was fair for Byard to decline. I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue and we'll move on. At least I hope so.

Yes, because all those teams paying a safety more than the Titans have been Super Bowl contenders in recent years…

Yes, because all those teams paying a safety more than the Titans have been Super Bowl contenders in recent years…
Dude what? That's your metric? How many teams out of 32 do you consider contenders? The Seahawks have been pretty consistent and they have 2 safeties on this list. The Steelers were also contenders until Big Ben's body gave up.

Regardless, it doesn't take away from your bad take that he is "way overpaid for a safety".

Yeah just pay them all whatever they ask for. Not like there’s a salary cap. You can say whatever you want, safety is not a position to spend big money on if you want to put together the most competitive roster.

Most dominant Ds have a playmaking Safety
Top cap hits among safety's 22:

Derwin James: trash defense
Minkah Fitzpatrick: mid defense
Jamal Adams: trash defense
Harrison smith: trash defense
Justin Simmons: great defense
Budda baker: trash defense
Kevin Byard: mid defense
Marcus Williams: good defense
Quandre diggs: trash defense

Kinda seems like paying big for a safety doesn't help your D at all.

I think the comment was more the opposite approach like 2000’s Pit D, stellar, paid Palomalu.
2000’s Ravens, stellar, paid Ed Reed.
I’m sure we could go back and add like the 49ers, Ronnie Lott, Broncos Steve Atwater, etc.

really good defenses that had a really good Safety and they were paid well.

Last edited by a moderator:

but having a playmaking Safety sure does help make a elite defense and you DO have to pay playmakers

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really surprised we haven't heard anything else from this. Its like Byard said no and Ran is like, ok we'll visit this again in a few months lol.

Good point, I'd even take it a step further and ship big Jeff out the door too. Just take a look at Aaron Donald and the trash football team the Rams have become.
Or look at Buckner in Indy, absolutely dumpster fire of an organisation right now.
And don't get me started on the pair of highly paid DT's in Washington...

Just don't pay defensive players..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back