Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW- Philly has been added to my list of teams I can't stand. Fans really showed what low class group they are booing the penalty on the dirty hit Epps put on Burks. And booing when our other guys were down being tended to. Bunch of low class drunks. Right up there with the Raiders fans. I've heard Lincoln Field was bad that way, they sure were yesterday.

In contrast, I watched the Pats snot knock us until yesterday in the blizzard game. Although as a rule, I hate the Pats, the fans at that game weren't revelling in our player injuries and being obnoxious as hell. They just took that win in stride.

Those JRob “value” moves get old quick.

he tries to get guys off major injury at cheap value in hopes they can produce like they did prior to injury.
Not only did he not really get a deal on Dupree, Jones, or woods, but he’s set the team back with first round picks that failed, ie Farley in this case.
Simmons is really the big exception coming off injury and performing.
BUT, won’t re-sign a RT coming off an injury who has high upside and had been productive prior to the injury. Inconsistent when it comes to signing injured players.

BUT, won’t re-sign a RT coming off an injury who has high upside and had been productive prior to the injury. Inconsistent when it comes to signing injured players.
“Value”.

he wasn’t going to get Conklin for cheap. While also paying too much for Dupree, Julio, or Woods, they must have been cheaper than if they weren’t coming off injury.

I don’t agree with the strategy but this is how I see it.
I think there were also other big contracts the same year Conklin was due.

If your trying to imply that I'm some kind of Robinson nut hugger, you know better than that. I criticize Robinson when I feel it is needed.

Robinson has had some poor drafts recently, particularly the 2020 and 2021 drafts where only Fulton has shown himself to be a decent starter. Weaver has shown flashes, but looks to be a rotational player at best, though that's pretty much what you get in the 4th round. The staff obviously thinks low of Radunz, but at this point, they need to just put him and see what is actually there.

The 2022 draft is obviously a work in progress, but Burks, Chig, and Phillips showed some flashes. McReary is getting torched in recent weeks, but corners usually take a year or so to acclimate to the NFL game, so he should get another season to see how he adjusts. Willis is even more of a project than I think any fan thought he would be. NPF looks to be a potential adequate starter at RT for the next few seasons, but nothing exceptional.

The biggest issue with Robinson has been his offseason moves. Many of those in recent seasons have blown up in his face, ala Julio Jones and Robert Woods. Jones cost too much in draft capital and had the added effect of needing Tannehill to restructure his contract, making Tannehill's cap hit ridiculously high. Woods clearly isn't 100% recovered from the ACL (not a shocker), although I'd imagine Woods was only targeted because of his run blocking ability. The Titans will likely move on from him in the offseason, but that restructure the Titans had to do with him in the middle of the season will make it a little more painful. While on the field, Dupree has mostly been good in the Titans scheme, but he can't stay healthy. Luckily the Titans can move on from him this offseason. I don't need to mention AJ do I (although Brown didn't appear to really want to stay anyways). Robinson has a had few successes with FA signings (Autry obviously comes to mind), but those successes have not outweighed the impacts of the more recent misses.

However, the Titans problems aren't just at the foot of Robinson. Vrabel has accountability too and if you think Robinson and Vrabel aren't lock step in the philosophy of this organization, well I have some nice beachfront property to sell you). The Titans run what can be at best described as an antiquated offensive scheme that emphasizes a power running game and physicality over any semblance of a more modern passing game. Don't like the Daley trade, neither do I, but I'd imagine Robinson brought him in as a backup because the only thing Daley does decently is run block. A majority of the offensive line personnel brought in were known for their physicality and run blocking. It's also no secret that Vrabel prizes WR who can run block. You hate Downing, so should every Titans fan. But Vrabel hired him and Downing is basically running the scheme that LaFluer and Smith ran while they were OC of the Titans.

At the core, Downing just runs the offense worse (little motion at the snap and utilizing personnel groupings that pretty much give away the play are just two of the main problems). Combine that with the star players starting to decline at QB and RB and a worse overall personnel from 2019 and 2020 in particular, well you have an offense that has only scored more than 20 points once since the Washington game.

And then of course, are the injuries, especially on the defensive line this season. Autry, Dupree, and Simmons all being hurt at various points have decimated what was a pretty damn good DL that carried the defense. Simmons hasn't been the same since he suffered the ankle injury and then played over 80 snaps against the Chiefs after the injury and Autry absence is obvious.

At the end of the day, the Titans are a team that can beat the dregs of the league (6-0), but have problems against teams considered above average and beyond (1-5 against teams with a winning record). The Titans have had a pretty decent run over the past few seasons, but it appears they may be hitting a wall so to speak. Robinson and Vrabel's records have earned them the ability to try and right the ship so to speak (even a possible rebuild in the coming seasons). We shall see if they can do that, or will the two of them basically be remembered as Reese & Fisher 2.0.
That was not directed at you personally, was just responding to the post, but glad I could inspire you to write the Holy Bible.

I'd be for subbing Radunz in at LT on obvious passing downs.... 3rd and long Radunz comes in ... you can still run screens and draws with Radunz so it isn't like it is just totally giving away that we are passing.

But we really need to be playing with 6 OL all game...extra run blocker and extra pass protector.... I bet Tanny and Henry would be all for it.
worth a damn shot... phonies did it quite a few years ago and were lauded for doing so

Simmons is the only exception. Not enough to say all those other picks and signings of injured or previously injured players that ended up failures were worth it.
Corey Davis was essentially an 'injury' draft pick considering he touched the rock like 1,000 times in college

If your trying to imply that I'm some kind of Robinson nut hugger, you know better than that. I criticize Robinson when I feel it is needed.

Robinson has had some poor drafts recently, particularly the 2020 and 2021 drafts where only Fulton has shown himself to be a decent starter. Weaver has shown flashes, but looks to be a rotational player at best, though that's pretty much what you get in the 4th round. The staff obviously thinks low of Radunz, but at this point, they need to just put him and see what is actually there.

The 2022 draft is obviously a work in progress, but Burks, Chig, and Phillips showed some flashes. McReary is getting torched in recent weeks, but corners usually take a year or so to acclimate to the NFL game, so he should get another season to see how he adjusts. Willis is even more of a project than I think any fan thought he would be. NPF looks to be a potential adequate starter at RT for the next few seasons, but nothing exceptional.

The biggest issue with Robinson has been his offseason moves. Many of those in recent seasons have blown up in his face, ala Julio Jones and Robert Woods. Jones cost too much in draft capital and had the added effect of needing Tannehill to restructure his contract, making Tannehill's cap hit ridiculously high. Woods clearly isn't 100% recovered from the ACL (not a shocker), although I'd imagine Woods was only targeted because of his run blocking ability. The Titans will likely move on from him in the offseason, but that restructure the Titans had to do with him in the middle of the season will make it a little more painful. While on the field, Dupree has mostly been good in the Titans scheme, but he can't stay healthy. Luckily the Titans can move on from him this offseason. I don't need to mention AJ do I (although Brown didn't appear to really want to stay anyways). Robinson has a had few successes with FA signings (Autry obviously comes to mind), but those successes have not outweighed the impacts of the more recent misses.

However, the Titans problems aren't just at the foot of Robinson. Vrabel has accountability too and if you think Robinson and Vrabel aren't lock step in the philosophy of this organization, well I have some nice beachfront property to sell you). The Titans run what can be at best described as an antiquated offensive scheme that emphasizes a power running game and physicality over any semblance of a more modern passing game. Don't like the Daley trade, neither do I, but I'd imagine Robinson brought him in as a backup because the only thing Daley does decently is run block. A majority of the offensive line personnel brought in were known for their physicality and run blocking. It's also no secret that Vrabel prizes WR who can run block. You hate Downing, so should every Titans fan. But Vrabel hired him and Downing is basically running the scheme that LaFluer and Smith ran while they were OC of the Titans.

At the core, Downing just runs the offense worse (little motion at the snap and utilizing personnel groupings that pretty much give away the play are just two of the main problems). Combine that with the star players starting to decline at QB and RB and a worse overall personnel from 2019 and 2020 in particular, well you have an offense that has only scored more than 20 points once since the Washington game.

And then of course, are the injuries, especially on the defensive line this season. Autry, Dupree, and Simmons all being hurt at various points have decimated what was a pretty damn good DL that carried the defense. Simmons hasn't been the same since he suffered the ankle injury and then played over 80 snaps against the Chiefs after the injury and Autry absence is obvious.

At the end of the day, the Titans are a team that can beat the dregs of the league (6-0), but have problems against teams considered above average and beyond (1-5 against teams with a winning record). The Titans have had a pretty decent run over the past few seasons, but it appears they may be hitting a wall so to speak. Robinson and Vrabel's records have earned them the ability to try and right the ship so to speak (even a possible rebuild in the coming seasons). We shall see if they can do that, or will the two of them basically be remembered as Reese & Fisher 2.0.
Good post

“Value”.

he wasn’t going to get Conklin for cheap. While also paying too much for Dupree, Julio, or Woods, they must have been cheaper than if they weren’t coming off injury.

I don’t agree with the strategy but this is how I see it.
I think there were also other big contracts the same year Conklin was due.
He could’ve done well by extending after the injury season. He choice to push it until the contract expired and Conklin had his bounce back year. He doesn’t wait for a bounce back year for guys like Woods or Farley.

He could’ve done well by extending after the injury season. He choice to push it until the contract expired and Conklin had his bounce back year. He doesn’t wait for a bounce back year for guys like Woods or Farley.
I think Conklin is the exception to the moves JRob has made, maybe it’s because of Conklin’s bounce back in Cle that he continues to take guys with the hope of a similar bounce back. Just speculation on my part based on his trends.

The Conklin decision did have other contributors too. I think salary cap room at the time has been discussed many times. The big part was he chose to pay LT over RT and redirected the RT savings to attempt fixing the D.

I also recognize that JRob tried to immediately fill the now glaring RT hole with a first round pick. Unfortunately it was arguably the worst first round pick in NFL history. Even so, he did pick up the undertaker to help out for the year and henry’s Season paid off for it.

Simmons is good but he was doubled every play where I watched him - live or replay

every one

nobody gonna beat 100% double teams unless it is a coverage SAC... & there was zero chance of a coverage SAC sunday

I think Conklin is the exception to the moves JRob has made, maybe it’s because of Conklin’s bounce back in Cle that he continues to take guys with the hope of a similar bounce back. Just speculation on my part based on his trends.

The Conklin decision did have other contributors too. I think salary cap room at the time has been discussed many times. The big part was he chose to pay LT over RT and redirected the RT savings to attempt fixing the D.

I also recognize that JRob tried to immediately fill the now glaring RT hole with a first round pick. Unfortunately it was arguably the worst first round pick in NFL history. Even so, he did pick up the undertaker to help out for the year and henry’s Season paid off for it.
Well, apparently Amy saw it my way…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back