Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
The article by Dan Pompei is behind a paywall, but Big Jeff told reporters that the Titans admitted that they don't know how they're going to afford his new contract. Get to know the Titans' Jeffery Simmons, the best defensive tackle this side of Aaron Donald

View attachment 20108

This seems to be more of a cash flow problem rather than a salary cap one, as Amy Adams Strunk has problems dishing out the high guaranteed salaries used to mitigate the salary cap. They can afford a 2 billion dollar stadium though.

After the AJ debacle, what would fan support seriously look like if they trade Jeff or let him walk?

She's probably getting taxpayer money to help with the stadium

If all this is true she needs to sell. No excuse not to have the cash. The Adams' have owned the team over 60 years. They shouldn't have much, if any debt

What a dysfunctional organization

Can't draft very well, when we do get a great player, we let them walk or can't afford to keep them...JRob too busy getting woodies over PS, exTexans and exPats guys to round out the bottom of the roster

Good thing we're in the AFC South and we can enjoy fools gold every year on being Division Champions and 'a playoff team".

if she can't afford him because of cash flow how can she afford anyone

granted Henry is deserving, but we gave him millions in bonus before the season even started - after he signed a new contract - why? that was some of the dumbest shit i've ever seen

If true this sucks and the writing is on the wall. Best they can do is sell up now while the value is high with the playoff runs etc.

I mean cutting Lewan, Tanny and Woods saves over 40 mil on the cap next year pre June. If we can't keep our best players due to financials we'll never get a superbowl. Will be pissed if Big Jeff walks because we can't pay him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Jeff is already under contract next season. Extending him is not something we need to do now at all. We waited till Landry was about to be a FA and could do the same with Simmons. The only reason we traded AJ was he was heading into a contract year and clearly had no intention of resigning with us after. Better to get a 1st and a 3rd than nothing. Big Jeff knows we want him here and he wants to play here.

The article by Dan Pompei is behind a paywall, but Big Jeff told reporters that the Titans admitted that they don't know how they're going to afford his new contract. Get to know the Titans' Jeffery Simmons, the best defensive tackle this side of Aaron Donald

View attachment 20108

This seems to be more of a cash flow problem rather than a salary cap one, as Amy Adams Strunk has problems dishing out the high guaranteed salaries used to mitigate the salary cap. They can afford a 2 billion dollar stadium though.

After the AJ debacle, what would fan support seriously look like if they trade Jeff or let him walk?
there would be none... not signinig 98 means you have no desire to win

Everyone that wants to win would walk... Vrable and his loyalists

would be left with the robinsons who are loyal to organization

Big Jeff is already under contract next season. Extending him is not something we need to do now at all. We waited till Landry was about to be a FA and could do the same with Simmons. The only reason we traded AJ was he was heading into a contract year and clearly had no intention of resigning with us after. Better to get a 1st and a 3rd than nothing. Big Jeff knows we want him here and he wants to play here.
B11 stated he wanted to be traded - that 100% gets you traded/released with Robinson

PK has a good free article on it, somehow he's the optimist
Jeffery Simmons' contract comments alarming, but don't panic yet

"Is that strictly cap related? Or does it go to a deeper liquidity issue connected to Amy Adams Strunk's buyout of her sister's share of the team not long ago and her upcoming spending on the new stadium?

I’ve presumed the Titans would give Simmons a big contract after the 2022 season, with four years of work on his resume. Digging around a bit, I still believe they will.

After trading A.J. Brown in a contract dispute after three years, if the Titans didn’t pay Simmons, there would be a fan uprising."

At least Jeff is handling this a lot better than AJ did.

And go with who on offense? Willis, Daly and ????
I'm sure JRob the Elite will figure it out.

Lewan isn't playing now in case you missed it and he's gone anyway...Woods and Tannehill aren't that great so no big loss there

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ok letting Tannehill, Lewan and Woods go to keep Simmons
That was my thought as well. Lewan for sure is gone, THill might be able to restructure to stay as a vet if there is no other QB OR cut him as well.
Not sure what Woods makes, like to keep him but not at the expense of Simmons.

I’m willing to bet there’s a bunch of other possible moves too. Isn’t Bud Dupree a
large contract that can also get dumped?

Rather not toy with Simmons. Landry was (is) expendable.

That was my thought as well. Lewan for sure is gone, THill might be able to restructure to stay as a vet if there is no other QB OR cut him as well.
Not sure what Woods makes, like to keep him but not at the expense of Simmons.

I’m willing to bet there’s a bunch of other possible moves too. Isn’t Bud Dupree a
large contract that can also get dumped?
I thought Bud would be an easy cut in 2023 but our defense plays so much better when he's on the field. We probably need to hang on to him.

View attachment 20110

Other saving options would be:
Tannehill (17.8M)
Lewan (14.8M)
Woods (13.8) ((who needs WRs anyway))
Autry (7.3M)
Cunningham (9.3M)

I thought Bud would be an easy cut in 2023 but our defense plays so much better when he's on the field. We probably need to hang on to him.

View attachment 20110

Other saving options would be:
Tannehill (17.8M)
Lewan (14.8M)
Woods (13.8) ((who needs WRs anyway))
Autry (7.3M)
Cunningham (9.3M)
I like Dupree and like to keep him as well but like Woods, not at the expense of Simmons.

Simmons and Autry make that D go. Cunningham is a tackle machine but is that something that can be replaced for cheaper?

It seems with current contracts, next year could be the official “rebuild” year.
Better just win the SB this year.

View attachment 20108

There’s speculation that the conversation in question was had BEFORE the Titans traded AJ. Simmons didn’t clarify when he was told this. Much ado about nothing.

Titans didn't sign AJ because it would have made it very difficult to sign Simmons. On a Vrable team a strong defense is way way more important than a WR. I will be shocked if we don't find a way to sign Simmons.

I'm sure JRob the Elite will figure it out.

Lewan isn't playing now in case you missed it and he's gone anyway...Woods and Tannehill aren't that great so no big loss there
Have you seen how the LT is playing? Did you see our other option at QB? Woods, I can agree with...nothing special... But you have to fill those holes with someone and they ain't on this roster at the moment.

I'm sure Lewan gets dumped if he doesn't take a huge pay cut but we have seen what happens trying to piece together an OL.

Tannehill has won the Titans a lot more games than he has lost them. Upgrade at OC would fix a lot of the problem there. Willis isn't the answer and taking a shot in the dark on a rookie has a very small chance of working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back