Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with cash flow. Some of you have no clue how the league works. We have no cap space right now to sign him. You can’t just sign players to huge contacts whenever you feel like it. You have to make it work within the cap. They have to wait until when they can free up the space to sign him. They have spent huge amounts of money on players like Landry and Dupree(both drastically overpaid), so it’s not like they don’t have the money to actually pay players. We wouldn’t have basically zero cap room if they didn’t have money. We have paid some players too much and have taken on a lot of dead money, through trades and cuts. It’s not a cash flow issue, it’s having a GM that has no clue what he’s doing, and panics regularly.

Yes and no. We have a cap budget and part of the budget calculations are that you actually will pay the rookie contracts what you expected when they were signed. Part of the A.J. Brown problem was that he wanted to blow that up and the only way to pay him what he wanted was to blow up other players' deals. It was a price the organization felt they couldn't do at that time.

And Simmons has to know this....none of this is a secret. Of course at the end of the year, things will be different. Lewan's contract has an out and I suspect we were going to take it regardless of the Simmons situation. There may be other ways to pay Simmons too. It looks like the message to him was "We'd love to pay you, but we cannot do the deal RIGHT NOW."

Rams made it work with Donald. Go find a QB and it doesn't matter. Tanne ain't it. As much as I would like Willis to be it, he is at least a full season away from being anywhere near ready.
The Rams have a lot of very good players. The Titans, not so much...

Sure, the Titans can just go pick a good QB off of the QB tree...that's how this works...

Willis will never be an NFL QB. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

The titans and all NFL teams have the money. The cap is basically 1/2 of the income to the teams. Money is not the problem. As far as the cap goes with Lewan and maybe even Woods gone free up 28 million there. I just do not believe this. Big Jeff is going to get his deal here. It just may not be next year.

Also for those wanting to cut tanne what's the plan? Start Willis? Draft a first round QB? We have the worst oline in the NFL along with maybe the worst pass catching group as well. Willis/a rookie will get absolutely ruined playing here.

If we go the trade route like the Rams we have to give up draft capital for them, and then put them in a position with no line/receivers.

Tanne has his blemishes, but he is our best option for '23 by leaps and bounds.

Lewan, woods, Hooper are a different story. They're probably all gone next year, Cunningham too I would imagine.

Also for those wanting to cut tanne what's the plan? Start Willis? Draft a first round QB? We have the worst oline in the NFL along with maybe the worst pass catching group as well. Willis/a rookie will get absolutely ruined playing here.

If we go the trade route like the Rams we have to give up draft capital for them, and then put them in a position with no line/receivers.

Tanne has his blemishes, but he is our best option for '23 by leaps and bounds.

Lewan, woods, Hooper are a different story. They're probably all gone next year, Cunningham too I would imagine.
I think other QBs may be available after this year, Derek Carr could be one BUT I also think THill gets a new contract to stay.

I know his cap hit drops significantly for next year, but I think JRob will stretch it out again and a much lower cost than the last contract numbers.

I think other QBs may be available after this year, Derek Carr could be one BUT I also think THill gets a new contract to stay.

I know his cap hit drops significantly for next year, but I think JRob will stretch it out again and a much lower cost than the last contract numbers.
Derrick carr is just Ryan Tannehill with darker hair who would have to learn our system. At best a lateral move

only good thing about signing DCarr would be knowing David would crap his pants every time he saw his brother in 2 tone blue

AJ brown was under contract when we traded him I thought?
Oh I thought you meant just not paying him, I don’t think they will trade Simmons. When they traded AJ Brown I believe they made a choice between the two. They will find a way to pay Simmons. I don’t think Big Jeff will make a scene until then

Derrick carr is just Ryan Tannehill with darker hair who would have to learn our system. At best a lateral move
I don’t think he’s great either, I was addressing your question of who might the titans be able to get if THill is let go after this season.
I fully agree, it won’t be a Willis show, nor should it be.

It was meant that the Titans didn't have the money this year. They can cut Woods, Lewan, and Cunningham and save 37 million next year. We will definitely resign Simmons in the offseason.

If Tannehill wins us a playoff game or two this year, he will definitely be back next year. QB’s are impossible to find and Tannehill is in the top half of NFL starters whether you want to believe it or not. With an improved offensive line and weapons, Tanny can do enough to get us there.

It was meant that the Titans didn't have the money this year. They can cut Woods, Lewan, and Cunningham and save 37 million next year. We will definitely resign Simmons in the offseason.
Exactly, not that they can’t resign him in the off-season. Several big salary/name players will move on, like Lewan that will free up space.

If Tannehill wins us a playoff game or two this year, he will definitely be back next year. QB’s are impossible to find and Tannehill is in the top half of NFL starters whether you want to believe it or not. With an improved offensive line and weapons, Tanny can do enough to get us there.
And clearly Willis needs at least another full year to learn (if he ever does).

The Rams have a lot of very good players. The Titans, not so much...

Sure, the Titans can just go pick a good QB off of the QB tree...that's how this works...

Willis will never be an NFL QB. Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

So do we. Great RB, promising young's WRs, outstanding defense when people are healthy.

We don't have Sean McVay calling plays though, so we'll need to replace Downing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back