Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
I'm not sure who was making this comment in the tennessean... it came across like it was Paul Kuharsky. That being said, Cutler had his pro-day outside in less than ideal conditions and was flawless. Add in he worked out at the Combine and lifted ( great mentality ) and his pro-day was conducted by Chow... who has no vested interest in him other than making sure all the questions are answered.

I got the sence from interviews and reports that Rhome protected Young with specific drills and some of the NFL personnel were less than impress with his pro-day.

- Young threw quite well, against air. A Pro Day at an indoor facility for a quarterback expected to be a top pick when there is no coverage to beat should be good, and Young’s was. (There was a wobbly deep ball down the middle and two balls that were way overthrown.) Teams will judge how to rate him with the heaviest weight on his performance as a collegian and on how he impresses them when he spends time with them one-on-one.

I would feel more confident with Cutler or Leinart ( pending pro-day ).

The problem with VY's pro day was that he didn't make any mistakes, but he didn't win over any doubters either. If you liked him before hand you will still want to draft him, if you had questions about him they're still unanswered.

His throwing motion has never been a questionmark, it was always known that it was different, but probably not a problem.

However opinion differ hugely on whether he threw deep passes, threw after the receivers had made the break, overthrew or underthrew on the incompletions (I've heard both) etc. So, to me he answered no questions. He didn't raise any either though.

The kid can do nothing right it seems, he didn't train for the 40 or expect to run one, he gets pressured into it, and runs a 4.57 and now, he's too slow. If I remember correctly he wouldn't be able to run against NFL defenses anyway right? :hmm:

Salisbury beams over him on ESPN, and then Mortensen finds an "unknown scout" to report he was not impressive. Was Mortensen even there?

Another guy comes out and says, he didn't make all the throws.

Gil Brandt says he did enough to improve his perception.

Personally I like to scrutiny... because this is the kind of environment Vince thrives in... the skeptics, are setting themselves up, to look dumb...when this kids game peaks to its full potential.

isn't running for the 40 part of Pro Day? Seems to me you would want to impress everyone and if that meant running you run. No brainer in my book.

Basically I think VY did answer sceptics that thought he would bomb out in the passing drills but didn't do enough to really make people think he is a seasoned passer. He is obviously still a little raw and there are still quesitons about being able to make every throw, on time and accurate and nobody knows how he is doing in the chalk board talks.
I agree, those who are already high on him are salivating because he didn't do poorly. Those who still have questions are not completely convinced.
On this board Cutler was slammed some because he "threw to air" and should make good passes in that kind of environment. From what I have read, Cutler got the better of VY with a better showing throwing the ball in less ideal situations where VY was inside. How much that means we shall see. IMO I hope all three QBs totally dominate in all phases of their workouts and meetings. That only means we can't miss.

Ewker said:
isn't running for the 40 part of Pro Day? Seems to me you would want to impress everyone and if that meant running you run. No brainer in my book.

Running the 40 is not mandatory at pro-day. His camp has said, since he announced he would be entering the draft, that he wouldn't run. He showed up yesterday, and a ruckus was being made about him not running so he decided to.

His camp contends that he is being scrutinized because most says he's a runner in the quarterback position.

So if that's the case put on some film and see how fast he is.

I don't agree with the move, but that was there stance non-the-less.

Looking at the footage, Young came out of his stance way to high, and lost valuable time there. It was obvious he has not trained in running, and has been focusing on his passing.

------
The minority of people there said Vince didn't do enough... and now its Gospel truth. I have heard more reports that said he was fantastic, than those who say otherwise.

Torch7 said:
..... Looking at the footage, Young came out of his stance way to high, and lost valuable time there. It was obvious he has not trained in running, and has been focusing on his passing.....QUOTE]

I didn't see the tape, but if true, an excellent observation. How he took his mark (stance) is also extremely important. If he had a poor mark and came out early- he once again has been improperly prepared. The stance and how you come out of it can shave 0.08-0.12 sec easily.

TitanJeff said:
I haven't heard but did Young lift?

My bad I thought I posted the video link...
He didn't so much lift as he did come out way to high (no jerking stop motion) This could be because of his height.. but his but looks way to high before he runs... he also looked very fidgety at the starting line
He did only run one forty, and then went to throw...

http://stream.ihigh.com/links/texas/2006/03/032206_fb.asx

River man, After looking at it again, it a couple of times, its not so much of him getting high too soon, I can't put my finger on it his first few steps just look a bit akward. and a few steps later, it looks like he is strugglin'; His forty is about 2:15 into the video.

His stance was not very good (butt too high, dominant foot should be behind more) and he did come out too early (before the 10yd mark rather the than 15). Also, his face and neck were too tense.

Those are coachable elements that most NFL combine athletes work on. I'm sure he did a little, but not as well prepared as he could have been. I'm betting he could have knocked off 0.1s if he had properly prepared.

I don't think a 40yd time matters that much, but his inattention to preparation isn't persuasive.

Unless Leinart blows me away at his day- I still likes me some Vince.

More NFL scouts opinions refernce his 45 of 50 passes.

- ''That wasn't a remarkable achievement because he wasn't asked to make many tough throws and he waited a lot on his receivers to get out of their breaks,'' one scout told ESPN.Com. ''Teams that are curious about the guy are going to want to see more when they work him out.''

Titanpride said:
More NFL scouts opinions refernce his 45 of 50 passes.

- ''That wasn't a remarkable achievement because he wasn't asked to make many tough throws and he waited a lot on his receivers to get out of their breaks,'' one scout told ESPN.Com. ''Teams that are curious about the guy are going to want to see more when they work him out.''

That infamous... "one scout" ESPN keeps quoting... is a thorn in VY's side.:irked:

Riverman said:
His stance was not very good (butt too high, dominant foot should be behind more) and he did come out too early (before the 10yd mark rather the than 15). Also, his face and neck were too tense.

Those are coachable elements that most NFL combine athletes work on. I'm sure he did a little, but not as well prepared as he could have been. I'm betting he could have knocked off 0.1s if he had properly prepared.

I don't think a 40yd time matters that much, but his inattention to preparation isn't persuasive.

Unless Leinart blows me away at his day- I still likes me some Vince.

Thanks for breaking that down for me Riverman... I have 3 track meets worth of High School experience, and it didn't look like what my Track Coach/Football Coach /Health Teacher taught me.. before my injury..:lol: But I didn't know if he knew what he was talking about half the time...LOL!

The media is all over the place with Vince. I'm beginning to the think the negatives are just smoke. It is amazing how inconsistent (at least the tone) the reports are.

A reference in the other thread about Titans taking Vince has some insanely positive comments and even suggests the Texans could take him 1st. (I'm still suspicious about the Texans trading with the Packers with the Texans picking up Vince if he's still on the board.)

Riverman said:
The media is all over the place with Vince. I'm beginning to the think the negatives are just smoke. It is amazing how inconsistent (at least the tone) the reports are.

A reference in the other thread about Titans taking Vince has some insanely positive comments and even suggests the Texans could take him 1st. (I'm still suspicious about the Texans trading with the Packers with the Texans picking up Vince if he's still on the board.)

My thoughts exactly Riverman... ESPN reporters on the scene say they were blown away, and then the studio guy quotes a scout saying, he sucked.. in the same segment... huh? link below:
http://media.putfile.com/TexasProDay-ESPN

The reports are just too conflicting... I would rather everyone say he did okay... then to have polar opposites circulating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back