Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I'd have as high a price as some others on here. I think I'd only trade down to 4 or 5. I'd trade to either of those for an additional 2nd round pick and another 3-5th round pick. Or just for the first this year and next year.

TitanJeff said:
Which one of those two was the third pick of a draft?

Neither but because they are not in that category don't expect and Eli Manning type trade. For the #10 team to make a stright up value chart trade with us, swapping #1s, we would still get the rest of their draft to get the point value. You said based on the top 5 that we could "jack up those numbers". SO do you really think the #9 or #10 team is going to trade their whole draft his year and throw in even more next year just to get a Vince Young or Leinart? No way when they can stay put and still get a their pick of a bunch of great talented players at a number of positions and they could even still get a QB, Cutler, who may be less of a risk than either Young or Leinart. The way I see it don't expect to have trade offers that even give us straight up value on the charts.

The Eli Manning trade was done because Eli Manning did not want to play for the Chargers. I'm sure the deal the Giants got reflected that. If you want to look at what can be expected for someone to come up for #1 this year, I'd look at the Vick deal.

All I am saying is that the Titans pick at #3 THIS year has more value than in most drafts. Same for the entire top five, IMO.

You guys who keep counting Super Bowls as the only measure of success are being idiotic. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, Jeff Hostetler won a Super Bowl, Doug Williams won a Super Bowl.....are these guys better than Marino, Tarkenton, P. Manning? Winning a Super Bowl has more to do with the coach and the system than the QB.

BTW, we got to our only Super Bowl with almost the same formula Pittsburgh used this year.....good D and running the ball down people's throats....i.e. McNair's job was to not make mistakes and convert 3rd downs when necessary. IMO, we should get back to that ASAP, and if we did, Vince Young could do that as well as anyone we could draft this year.

I think the top five of the '06 class may be as good, one through five, as any I can remember. They certainly have about as solid a college resume as any who've come out in the last decade. He's a list of the drafts from the last decade.

'04:
Manning
Gallery
Fitzgerald
Rivers
Taylor

'03:
Palmer
Rogers
A. Johnson
Robertson
Newman

'02:
Carr
Peppers
Harrington
M. Williams
Jammer

'01:
Vick
L. Davis
Warren
J. Smith
LT

'00:
C. Brown
Arrington
Samuels
Warrick
Lewis

'99:
Couch
McNabb
A. Smith
James
R. Williams

'98
Manning
Leaf
Wadsworth
Woodson
Enis

'97
Pace
Russell
Springs
Boulware
Westbrook

'96
K. Johnson
Hardy
Rice
Ogden
C. Jones

Of course, time will tell. '04 was solid but it's too early to call. Bush, Leinart, Young, Ferguson and Hawk. Two Heisman Trophy winners. Three National Champions. And you can add Cutler to the mix though I personally don't think he'll go top five.

Gunny said:
compare the Superbowls between the 'comes around every 5 years compared to the 'ones you see in every draft'.

You guys who keep counting Super Bowls as the only measure of success are being idiotic. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, Jeff Hostetler won a Super Bowl, Doug Williams won a Super Bowl.....are these guys better than Marino, Tarkenton, P. Manning? Winning a Super Bowl has more to do with the coach and the system than the QB.
- royhobbs

Thank You roy:applause:

TitanJeff said:
And you can add Cutler to the mix though I personally don't think he'll go top five.

he might .... would you really be al that shocked or disappointed if Reese pulled the trigger on Cutler (assuming both Bush and Young were gone) ?

I'm starting to see Cutler go to the Jets at #4 in some mock drafts, but I think we'd trade out versus take him at #3.

"Gotta get me some Vince."

Puck said:
he might .... would you really be al that shocked or disappointed if Reese pulled the trigger on Cutler (assuming both Bush and Young were gone) ?
Whatever Reese does, I'll place my faith in it. I don't have enough information on any of these players beyond what I've watched and much of that is limited to highlights. I've seen 4-5 games with Young. Less with Bush/Leinart. But I've seen more than 20 of Cutler.

Based on what I've seen, I take Leinart over Cutler in a heartbeat. I love a QB who manages a game well. I would gladly sacrifice some "arm" for what I feel is Leinart's best trait.

Puck said:

- royhobbs

Thank You roy:applause:

gee you are really struggling when he names 3 QBs who have won superbowls out of a total of 40. And you use that to make a point.

How many 'once every 5 year players' have won a Superbowl compared to the every year players? The Brady's, Roethlisberger's, Youngs, Montana's et al.

Thank you.

I got those three off the top of my head....how about Brad Johnson? Kurt Warner? Brady, Big Ben, Young and Montana all had great coaches and systems. Cowher has been to something like 7 of the last 14 AFC Championship games with a variety of average QB's...obviously, his boring system of running the ball and having a solid D has more to do with that than the QB. Remember Steve Bono? He looked like Johnny Unitas for a while with the 49ers. Remember how Hostetler and Williams jumped right in at mid-season and won Super Bowls? Teams that don't rely on the QB exclusively (Unlike Marino's Dolphins and Manning's Colts) are sometimes, in certain circumstances, better off in the long run. I am not saying any scrub can win a Super Bowl, but there are some great QB's out there, all worth the #3 pick, who haven't....I forgot another couple...Warren Moon and Jim Kelly.

I couldn't disagree more about Leinhart and Young not having the same "respect" as the Palmer and Manning of the recent years. When Eli came out, he pretty much was considered the top QB coming out. Rivers was there, but Eli was the name. If Young and Leinhart were there, the top QB wouldn't have been so clear. During Leinhart's junior year, he was considered a lock at being a #1 pick until he decided to come back. The 3 top players would all be in the mix at going #1 at any other year.

royhobbs said:
I got those three off the top of my head....how about Brad Johnson? Kurt Warner? Brady, Big Ben, Young and Montana all had great coaches and systems. Cowher has been to something like 7 of the last 14 AFC Championship games with a variety of average QB's...obviously, his boring system of running the ball and having a solid D has more to do with that than the QB. Remember Steve Bono? He looked like Johnny Unitas for a while with the 49ers. Remember how Hostetler and Williams jumped right in at mid-season and won Super Bowls? Teams that don't rely on the QB exclusively (Unlike Marino's Dolphins and Manning's Colts) are sometimes, in certain circumstances, better off in the long run. I am not saying any scrub can win a Super Bowl, but there are some great QB's out there, all worth the #3 pick, who haven't....I forgot another couple...Warren Moon and Jim Kelly.

I am not talking about mediocre QBs vs Great QBs.

I am talking everyday QBs vs. the rare once every 5 years QBs (Vick, Young etc.).

Everyday QBs win superbowls, rare ones haven't.

I'm not sure what you guys are calling "rare"......my point is there are a ton of successful QB's (black, white, green and purple) that have never one a Super Bowl. To use that (winning a Super Bowl) as the sole criteria on the success of a QB is not only unfair, but IMO idiotic.

I am not talking about success at all.
Rather it seems that a team has a better chance at winning the Superbowl (my main concern) with an everyday QB then a rare QB.

I don't think there's any way you can take a TE within the top 5, very rare in fact to go top 10. Look at the player, Winslow and Shockey were terrific players, Vernon Davis has been a phenomenal workout warrior, but didn't make as many big time plays on the field. Don't get me wrong, he looks like he's got the skills, but is a TE valued over a DE or a LB? no way, in my opinion.

That's why he's a darkhorse. At his position, he is probably the second best prospect in the draft behind the Brick. Followed closely by Hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back