Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

View attachment 21674

The defender becomes dead weight dropping to the ground, usually landing on the offensive players legs
Broken tackles about to increase 10 fold or penalties are just going to increase, probably not consistently either.

maybe the Callahan’s are right in not bothering to invest in defense. Even if they get a good player, they’re not going to be allowed to do anything.

View attachment 21674

The defender becomes dead weight dropping to the ground, usually landing on the offensive players legs
Yeah. It’s the way some players twist, so they can get the ball carrier off balance, then dead-weight drop onto the players lower legs. The rule is pretty specific, but seeing and calling it real time isn’t going to go very well. I bet refs will throw the flag, then go to review to check if it is actually a penalty. Just like targeting. It will be a headache for a couple seasons, then everything will be refined and fans will get used to it.

Being Australian we outlawed the hip drop tackle a few season ago in our football league, the NRL.

It is pretty obvious from an officiating point of view. So, it wasn't really contentious. It was more the fans getting use to it.

From a game standpoint, we had a season on penalizing teams, then coaches realized the league was serious, and they changed tackling/training techniques to a point that we no longer see the tackle.

It won't change the game much, talented coaches will know how to work around it. It will totally be a fan issue, where they say is that a hip drop or not. Then when technique changes it will be back to normal.

Give it a season, to work it out.

It will be a good rule as you need to protect your sport/product, by protecting the players from injury. As fans we want to see the best playing the best, week in week out.

All good, we have been through it. Thats what happened.

Every fan here was like you, including myself. How are they going to get guys down etc.

Two years down the track everyone has forgotten.
Is the fact that they are two completely different sports a minor detail here? Lol

Give it a season, to work it out.

It will be a good rule as you need to protect your sport/product, by protecting the players from injury. As fans we want to see the best playing the best, week in week out.
I dont give one flying F about protecting players - not even a single small one

Is the fact that they are two completely different sports a minor detail here? Lol
They do both employ tackling as a means to get the ball carrier down, don’t they? The thing they are trying to get rid of is, in fact, a bad way to tackle. I know we all want players to be as tough as they were in the 1960s, but it ain’t happening. Things change and it sucks for a while, but then change becomes the norm.

Thanks for sending me down an existential spiral. Now, I have to contemplate life, the universe, and everything.

Yeah. It’s the way some players twist, so they can get the ball carrier off balance, then dead-weight drop onto the players lower legs. The rule is pretty specific, but seeing and calling it real time isn’t going to go very well. I bet refs will throw the flag, then go to review to check if it is actually a penalty. Just like targeting. It will be a headache for a couple seasons, then everything will be refined and fans will get used to it.
Great, another way to slow the game down!

They do both employ tackling as a means to get the ball carrier down, don’t they? The thing they are trying to get rid of is, in fact, a bad way to tackle. I know we all want players to be as tough as they were in the 1960s, but it ain’t happening. Things change and it sucks for a while, but then change becomes the norm.

Thanks for sending me down an existential spiral. Now, I have to contemplate life, the universe, and everything.
Or just have some bacon.

Well the NFL has bigger, faster, more athletic players. It has bigger discrepancies between the biggest players and the smallest players. Tackling is much more likely to happen at a wider variety of angles and speeds. The difference between a tackling someone where they are and getting pulled forward 2-4 yards is much more impactful in football.

But hey... We'll see. I don't care about the toughness thing. And I do think looking out for player health is good for the game. But I mean damn, how hard do we want to make it to be a DB in the NFL? I would be fine with it if they said "Okay, no more hip drop. But we are getting rid of illegal contact". But no. This only goes one direction. That Greek God looking dude... You can't get a wrinkle on his jersey before he gets the ball or it's a penalty. After he gets the ball you can't tackle him either. Good luck out there.

Being Australian we outlawed the hip drop tackle a few season ago in our football league, the NRL.

It is pretty obvious from an officiating point of view. So, it wasn't really contentious. It was more the fans getting use to it.

From a game standpoint, we had a season on penalizing teams, then coaches realized the league was serious, and they changed tackling/training techniques to a point that we no longer see the tackle.

It won't change the game much, talented coaches will know how to work around it. It will totally be a fan issue, where they say is that a hip drop or not. Then when technique changes it will be back to normal.
Don't grab a ball carrier and use your weight to tackle him seems like a very hard thing to teach. By definition, I feel like every other tackle is a "hip drop" tackle...unless they're just spearing ball carriers.

Using your weight as leverage especially against much bigger guys is kind of the only way to take them down in a lot of instances.

Latest posts

Back