Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of that is 5th year options are stupid expensive. It does not make sense as far as cash goes for most players.

That's true, but if they're franchise changing players, then there's no way around it. It's going to come at a price either way, whether it's a wasted draft pick or expensive contract.

That's true, but if they're franchise changing players, then there's no way around it. It's going to come at a price either way, whether it's a wasted draft pick or expensive contract.
I agree. But if a guy is good enough to put the option on they will also be getting a new contract. I will say it is odd it is not used before a contract gets done for more players. I would expect more guys to get the option and then get extended but we got what we got.

I agree. But if a guy is good enough to put the option on they will also be getting a new contract. I will say it is odd it is not used before a contract gets done for more players. I would expect more guys to get the option and then get extended but we got what we got.
We picked up mariotas option...

I don't know about that. Some of the options picked up were pretty shaky. OJ Howard, Evan Ingram, David Njoku, Jabril Peppers, maybe Derek Barnett.

It’s called an option for a reason. It’s used in “still to be determined” scenarios for extension. It’s a pretty bad sign that the team has given up on one of their early picks when they don’t pick up the option. (Eg- MM8, Conklin, etc)

It is tough. You need 1st round picks to get the Mahomes, the CMC, the Aaron Donalds, the Julio Jones, etc, etc, etc. And they are so valuable for that reason.

...but they really only work out as envisioned maybe 25% of the time, maybe less.

I still hope that, if he has another solid year as a WR2 and we open the offense up a bit with a full season of Tannehill, that we seek to resign him for the 8-10 mil range, would still give him an increase in AAV without breaking the bank

It’s called an option for a reason. It’s used in “still to be determined” scenarios for extension. It’s a pretty bad sign that the team has given up on one of their early picks when they don’t pick up the option. (Eg- MM8, Conklin, etc)
we took mariotas option.

Yep 20 mil to hold a clipboard while wearing his helmet.
I dont think that’s really a fair assessment of what happened.

He showed flashes (mind you very limited) that left the franchise wondering if he’s the real deal or not, signed his 5th year option which literally turned in to his last opportunity which lasted appx 6 weeks, and he failed miserably. Not that the FO needed more proof he wasn’t the guy, but they gave it a go anyway and ultimately, no harm no foul for last season. Team still took a step forward, made the most of a 9-7 season (maybe 11-5 and a home playoff game if they started THill from the get go) but made it very easy to let him walk.

They already hinted at a deal for Jayon last week after the draft so hes not going anywhere.

Rashaan is better than Jayon so hes worth locking up after 2020 too
Idk if he is better. They are both very good but different. If they had a baby it might be the most complete linebacker ever.

we took mariotas option.

Yes- my bad. Mariota wasn’t a good example. My point was if they don’t pick up the 5th year then they have pretty much already decided it’s not worth it to consider an extension/2nd contract. Granted a lot can change- CD84 could have several game changing plays this year unlike his others, but its just not probable to happen based off his current body of work. He got a bunch of targets his 2nd year. Just not that impressive 2 TDs per year. ;

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back