Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
;) Here's what happened: The League went to 3 Preseason games, but the Titans didn't get that Memo! So they played like it was their:hugelaugh: 4th Preseason game!
:p No further questions Your Honor!

If the D doesn't improve under Bowen soon, Schwartz will be promoted...I'm wondering if that's why he was brought on to begin with? Bowen on a very short leash

That game was pathetic with the talent this team has.
Come on, man... Bowen was an absolute disaster last season and was promoted. If we stick to this pattern of promoting people who should be fired, Bowen will be team owner in a few seasons.

Clearly Bowen caught Vrabel in the showers with the ball boy last season. That is the only thing that explains why he is still here.

There's been a few more games that's been more disappointing, especially when you talk about playoff games or games that could've got us to the playoffs.
I say it was that disappointing because this was supposed to be the improved version, with an upgrade in firepower and a better defense. Another Lewan start where he is either injured and hurt his team, suspended and hurt his team, or got schooled ("exposed" as he calls it) and hurt his team. He makes way too much money to be this unreliable. Michael Roos was better, as was Brad Hopkins. They coddle Lewan, and it's time for him to earn his keep. If he's not up to the job there are others who would chew their arms off to replace him. Five sacks? Really?

The O-line broke down and it hurt the entire team all five guys were awful but Lewan was really really bad.

I would like to point out the positives Landry and Fulton came to play on Sunday even guys like Molden show promise even though he got bien.

On offense Brown also came to play but with our O-line playing like they did no one look good.

I say it was that disappointing because this was supposed to be the improved version, with an upgrade in firepower and a better defense. Another Lewan start where he is either injured and hurt his team, suspended and hurt his team, or got schooled ("exposed" as he calls it) and hurt his team. He makes way too much money to be this unreliable. Michael Roos was better, as was Brad Hopkins. They coddle Lewan, and it's time for him to earn his keep. If he's not up to the job there are others who would chew their arms off to replace him. Five sacks? Really?
I am not a fan of Lewan. His mouth is much bigger than his production and the contract we gave him was literally a gift. He hadnt earned the big money when we gave it to him and he has not improved at all, if anything he has regressed. The injury didnt help matters at all, now he is mediocre at best. Maybe he gets back to pre-injury status at some point, but even then that wasnt great IMO.

safe to say don't bother calling into the radio stations on your ride home from work either to rant about the titans. They will only screen calls for the vols and how they played well against Pitt. Any call but titan calls will be welcomed

This is what worried me the most about Downing. In his one year as OC in 2017 Oakland had the 3rd lowest rate of play action (14%) with an average DVOA of -7.7% (rank 29th and 30th) when he did use it. What little success he had came without play action where his offense ranked 9th in yards per pass. 2017 Play-Action Offense

View attachment 18664

Why Vrabel and Robinson hired somebody whose scheme is a complete mismatch for our offense is beyond me.

Is this a chart of how many sacks the Chandler dude had?

Some interesting observations from the snap counts:

Safety Bradley McDougald got more snaps than Amani Hooker
Autry only got 43% of snaps, Murchison got 54%
Fulton saw 100% of snaps, the only person on Defense to do so. I thought he played really well btw.

Come on, man... Bowen was an absolute disaster last season and was promoted. If we stick to this pattern of promoting people who should be fired, Bowen will be team owner in a few seasons.

Clearly Bowen caught Vrabel in the showers with the ball boy last season. That is the only thing that explains why he is still here.
Failing forward is real on the Titans.

And he promoted an OC who was so bad in Oakland that they fired the entire organization and threw money at Jon Gruden to save them. I don't see how Vrabel keeps his job if they live up to their track records as being terrible. He was a terrible play caller when he was a designated DC, and the coordinators he hires are just as bad at it.

You're exactly right. Hiring someone due to nepotism, instead of looking for the best guy is my biggest complaint about Vrabel. It worked with Arthur, but that doesn't mean it will work with everyone he hires. I can't fathom the thinking behind hiring Bowen as DC when he was on staff last year and had a huge hand in how poorly the defense played. Fool me once....

You're exactly right. Hiring someone due to nepotism, instead of looking for the best guy is my biggest complaint about Vrabel. It worked with Arthur, but that doesn't mean it will work with everyone he hires. I can't fathom the thinking behind hiring Bowen as DC when he was on staff last year and had a huge hand in how poorly the defense played. Fool me once....

I’m curious if you think NO other NFL HCs hire their buddies? I’m not defending Vrabel or the coordinators. If they suck and he can’t get it fixed it will get them all fired. But make no mistake, the NFL is one big swingers club.

I’m curious if you think NO other NFL HCs hire their buddies? I’m not defending Vrabel or the coordinators. If they suck and he can’t get it fixed it will get them all fired. But make no mistake, the NFL is one big swingers club.
Not at all, if they're good at what they do. But there was no reason to think Bowen could help improve this defense after what we saw from last year with him.

This has also been the norm with Vrabel, he hires from within almost exclusively. At least bring in a new guy every once in a while for a fresh set of eyes. Or maybe that's what he doesn't want and he just wants a buch of yes-men.

Not at all, if they're good at what they do. But there was no reason to think Bowen could help improve this defense after what we saw from last year with him.

This has also been the norm with Vrabel, he hires from within almost exclusively. At least bring in a new guy every once in a while for a fresh set of eyes. Or maybe that's what he doesn't want and he just wants a buch of yes-men.
Agree.
If if he’s not gonna bring in somebody new, he has to realize he just risked his own job to keep a friend who proved inefficient in Bowen.

To the other point before, apparently this mentality is common to a certain extent. Mularkey was fired almost exclusively because he refused to s**tcan Biscuits. I mean, that’s some friend loyalty.

Agree.
If if he’s not gonna bring in somebody new, he has to realize he just risked his own job to keep a friend who proved inefficient in Bowen.

To the other point before, apparently this mentality is common to a certain extent. Mularkey was fired almost exclusively because he refused to s**tcan Biscuits. I mean, that’s some friend loyalty.
The same happened with Munch, I believe.

Agree.

Yep, Mularkey committed career suicide. It wasnt just losing his HC job for a friend.. he lost his HC job, had to drop all the way down to TE coach, then just retired. I hope Biscuits is helping him out with retirement money.

IMO the defense didn't play great but didn't play real poorly either. Their guys for the most part just made plays. The egg laid was on offense where play calling, scheme (ahhh Jones is pretty good and you know that going in) and the preparation was awful. Max protect and let your guys make plays. Didn't see that all game. We finally have two stud WRs and we play like Kendall Wright and

Look at what other teams gave up on defense. Bears lost 34-17, Vikings gave up 27 points in a loss, 49ers gave up 33 points in a win. Falcons lost 32-6 and they have Dean Pees as their DC.

On the bright side Fulton, Tart, Murchinson, Roberson played well.
Core guys like Evans, J Brown, Autry and Dupree sucked.
One TD where Molden was left one on one with no S over the top was on the defensive call.

My biggest concern is if the OC is braindead enough, despite Lewan getting beat repeatedly, doesn't have a problem with Lamm (a guy probably not 100% back from an elbow injury) going one on one he needs to be fired. No excuse for that. Unbelievable. Defense might be the least of my worries right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back