Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a SB contender to top 5 draft pick.

I know, I know I'm just kidding. But that's what it feels like after week 1.

Our run game started to open up as the game went on (maybe due to the score). But we need to figure it out fast. Because I don't have an ounce of faith in Downing.

Like I said earlier Henry, Brown, Tanny and Jones better form a coalition against Downing if they feel they are getting held back. They need to speak up soon and often.

From a SB contender to top 5 draft pick.

I know, I know I'm just kidding. But that's what it feels like after week 1.

Our run game started to open up as the game went on (maybe due to the score). But we need to figure it out fast. Because I don't have an ounce of faith in Downing.

Like I said earlier, Henry, Brown, Tanny and Jones better form a coalition against Downing if they feel they are getting held back. They need to speak up soon and often.

Yeah def not full on panic mode - Tanny n Julio seem to need time and chemistry. But SB thing seems like a distant fantasy already one week in. The offensive line is a hot mess. The play calling on both sides was lackluster (putting it mildy)… Division is as a bad as the NFc East so there’s time to rectify this - but any SB talk needs to be tabled ASAP until we see any semblance of a NFL-level team/effort.

Wasn’t very effective today. That’s what we ran when we lacked talent on the outside. That’s not the case now. No point in trading a 2nd for Julio if we aren’t gonna use our WR’s any better than what we did today.

It wasn’t effective because we couldn’t run the ball. And Chandler Jones blew Tannehill up on the play action roll out.

he did look good on a couple of plays that I saw. I gotta admit I tuned out midway through 2nd quarter to work on some stuff. Hard for me to watch when I believe we're out of a game. All I do is complain to no effect. I usually check in here periodically to commiserate and check the scoreboard.

He was lights out. Of course it’s overshadowed by the poor performance as a whole but he’s off to a good start in year 2.

I turned the game off in the 3Q.

Fulton allowed one catch for 4 yards. I'd agree that he qualifies.

Wasn't the theory that AJ and Julio would stress the defense and help the running game? It's hard to have any hope for improvement if the OC doesn't even know who his best players are

To be fair, Julio botched his opportunity’s. AJ was great but just didn’t throw his way enough.

It wasn’t effective because we couldn’t run the ball. And Chandler Jones blew Tannehill up on the play action roll out.

I can guarantee you that Jones wouldn't have had 2 sacks against us with Art Smith as our OC.

No runs towards Jones, no TE to help block Jones, no screens in Jones direction. Just an all around terrible job by Downing.

Both tackles were awful. OC was awful and tanney was bad. That kicker should be cut in the morning. Not playing in preseason showed. Why the hell we did not double team chandler jones makes no since. Taylor Lewan is way way over paid he got used! For all this first round early offensive line draft picks we sure do not have much to show for it

To be fair, Julio botched his opportunity’s. AJ was great but just didn’t throw his way enough.
Yes he was basically a tall Taywan Taylor but that's besides the point. The defense would be thinking a little more about Julio Jones than whoever the 3rd string string TE is.

So going back to the defensive side of the ball. Some common denominators to today's defense looking like last year's: Byard, Evans, and the large cushions on 3rd down. Evans looked defeated in the 3rd and Byard had that INT but beyond that is as average as you can get. They need to go ahead and put Rice in there early instead of waiting until the game is out of hand.

I can guarantee you that Jones wouldn't have had 2 sacks against us with Art Smith as our OC.

No runs towards Jones, no TE to help block Jones, no screens in Jones direction. Just an all around terrible job by Downing.

No way to know that, but Tannehill had his games last year where he was sacked often. Art was not a popular OC for a lot of the same reasons people are complaining about Downing today.

Some days you’re the bug. Some days you’re the windshield.

Yes he was basically a tall Taywan Taylor but that's besides the point. The defense would be thinking a little more about Julio Jones than whoever the 3rd string string TE is.

I just think it’s short sighted to say we didn’t try and get the ball to him. He lead the team in targets and drops.

So going back to the defensive side of the ball. Some common denominators to today's defense looking like last year's: Byard, Evans, and the large cushions on 3rd down. Evans looked defeated in the 3rd and Byard had that INT but beyond that is as average as you can get. They need to go ahead and put Rice in there early instead of waiting until the game is out of hand.

Name another FS in the league that will be matched up on DeAndre Hopkins 1 on 1. Outside of that play he was all over his assignments today. Some good throws were made.

Byard should never be tasked with covering the teams #1 WR. He’s a safety for a reason.

I just think it’s short sighted to say we didn’t try and get the ball to him. He lead the team in targets and drops.
Most of that came when the game was basically out of hand. Before that, they didn't really make an attempt to be anything other than one-dimensional.

Jackrabbit Jenkins on the other hand - that’s a guy we can point the finger on. Bad penalties and slipped in coverage. He had a bad game.

I still believe in Tannehill, but we crown him as an elite QB, he gets paid like an elite QB, but another game where Henry was shut down and Tannehill couldn't take over.
Disagree on a couple points.
I agree that he will be fine as our QB going forward.
“We” crowned him as elite is a stretch. A lot of people really started with the comparisons to mariota and the other crap before him but as a stand alone, he’s pretty good, not elite.
Paid him as elite? Disagree here too. NFL QB paycheck ceiling is rewritten almost every time an “elite” QB signs (sometimes very non- elite like Eli and Flacco). THill got a substantial paycheck which all QBs do but he did t reset the ceiling or anything like a Rodgers, mahomes, or Brady. He just got paid like a solid starter at the most expensive position.

Most of that came when the game was basically out of hand. Before that, they didn't really make an attempt to be anything other than one-dimensional.

Because every time we snapped the ball someone was in the backfield. Run or pass it didn’t matter. Our OL could have just stayed on the sidelines and the results would be the same.

Disagree on a couple points.
I agree that he will be fine as our QB going forward.
“We” crowned him as elite is a stretch. A lot of people really started with the comparisons to mariota and the other crap before him but as a stand alone, he’s pretty good, not elite.
Paid him as elite? Disagree here too. NFL QB paycheck ceiling is rewritten almost every time an “elite” QB signs (sometimes very non- elite like Eli and Flacco). THill got a substantial paycheck which all QBs do but he did t reset the ceiling or anything like a Rodgers, mahomes, or Brady. He just got paid like a solid starter at the most expensive position.

You might want to look at Brady’s contract.

Because every time we snapped the ball someone was in the backfield. Run or pass it didn’t matter. Our OL could have just stayed on the sidelines and the results would be the same.

Yet these talking heads continue to say that we have one of the best OL's in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back