Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NFL wants teams to think like this:
If we hire that guy now as a minority, we might be able to get a 3rd round pick a couple years from now.

but also avoid thinking like this:
If we hire that guy, the team we’re competing against will get an extra 3rd round pick.

they are absolutely hand in hand connected thought processes. So it is a de-incentive on the immediate payout but a potential incentive as an investment for future years.

just like the real draft, which has more value? This years pick or a future pick at the exact same spot?
I agree in principle, but I think if a team is set on 'their guy' as HC, they aren't gonna care about giving a 3rd round comp pick to a rival in the process.

Look at all these teams trading 2 first rounders + for a QB in the last few years.

I agree in principle, but I think if a team is set on 'their guy' as HC, they aren't gonna care about giving a 3rd round comp pick to a rival in the process.

Look at all these teams trading 2 first rounders + for a QB in the last few years.
I agree overall that even though the “incentive” is actually worthless, it’s because teams don’t think about it at all and just go after who they want anyway. IF that person happens be a minority, there’s a pick thrown out there. I don’t see teams actually considering the rule at all, which removes the word “incentive” from the rule.

Am I the only one who thinks if we just signed CB Steven Nelson and DT Maurice Hurst right now we could essentially eliminate two positions of need in the draft. Both are in their prime and have played at a high level for multiple years.

Am I the only one who thinks if we just signed CB Steven Nelson and DT Maurice Hurst right now we could essentially eliminate two positions of need in the draft. Both are in their prime and have played at a high level for multiple years.
Maybe teams are waiting until after the draft and see what positions are still needed?

Comes down to are you drafting best available or best available position of need. I.e we needed a tackle last year and rolled the dice on wilson. Best available is always best long term and if you have a couple of positions of need also it increases your chance of getting a starter of need. Downside you may only sign average or less after the draft if you don't nail the draft.

I'm kinda hoping we're moving up to get a stud cb/receiver/edge.

I'd do it the other way around.
Maybe the thought is a rookie is cheaper and could contribute as much as the recent cuts?

Also we are at 5 mil cap space, still need to sign the rookie pool..can't see us restructuring contracts to make room for someone unless they are a must have

It would be great. But we still have very little cap room. My guess they won’t sign anyone until after the draft. Most teams will likely take that approach.

It could also be that the Clowney signing has them hopeful for a comp pick as long as they don’t sign anyone until after the draft. But that seems unlikely that they would let someone good slip away now for a potential mid to late round pick in the future.

It could also be that the Clowney signing has them hopeful for a comp pick as long as they don’t sign anyone until after the draft. But that seems unlikely that they would let someone good slip away now for a potential mid to late round pick in the future.
I thought Autry cancels out Clowney?

I thought Autry cancels out Clowney?
I heard one report that said Autry and Dupree cancel out Jonnu and Davis. They said Jenkins doesn’t count because he was cut, and Lamm cancels out King. Who the heck knows honestly. There are so many intricacies to the formula. For instance I think only the top 35% of free agent contracts count towards the compensatory formula at all.

I heard one report that said Autry and Dupree cancel out Jonnu and Davis. They said Jenkins doesn’t count because he was cut, and Lamm cancels out King. Who the heck knows honestly. There are so many intricacies to the formula. For instance I think only the top 35% of free agent contracts count towards the compensatory formula at all.
Yep its a little confusing for sure. This is what I was reading

View attachment 18351

I doubt they take into account compensatory picks when roster building. Nice to have, but probably not art of a strategic decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back