Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly believe it was to protect Bowen. If Vrabel was really confident in him then he would’ve gotten the title. As he didn’t get the title or succeed, it’s easier to keep him around. However, it’s starting to feel like he gets another go at it to me.
My only complaint about that is that if he didn't feel confident with Bowen, why not find another person he is confident in?
It he's going to agree that Bowen did everything a DC is supposed to do, but not have the title, then I guess at least he knows Bowen sucks as DC, don't give him the opportunity again but doesn't have to fire him.

For the sake of argument, say Vrabel did give Bowen the title of DC and he sucks as bad as he did, would there be an uproar if Vrabel moved Bowen back to a positional coach and hire another DC?

My only complaint about that is that if he didn't feel confident with Bowen, why not find another person he is confident in?
It he's going to agree that Bowen did everything a DC is supposed to do, but not have the title, then I guess at least he knows Bowen sucks as DC, don't give him the opportunity again but doesn't have to fire him.

For the sake of argument, say Vrabel did give Bowen the title of DC and he sucks as bad as he did, would there be an uproar if Vrabel moved Bowen back to a positional coach and hire another DC?
I think most coaches would be too humiliated to go back to a lesser position after being demoted. I 100% agree that if Vrabel wasn’t confident enough in Bowen, he shouldn’t have been the defacto DC. Hard to believe he might do it again, but they may be deluding themselves that it was COVID and a lack of talent and not coaching. I call BS on that, but may be playing out that way.

I think most coaches would be too humiliated to go back to a lesser position after being demoted. I 100% agree that if Vrabel wasn’t confident enough in Bowen, he shouldn’t have been the defacto DC. Hard to believe he might do it again, but they may be deluding themselves that it was COVID and a lack of talent and not coaching. I call BS on that, but may be playing out that way.
Agree on the covid/talent excuse. coaching literally tried nothing different.

From humiliation standpoint, it doesn't happen often, but there are times that HC relinquish play calling to some other coach. I think Minnesota last year did something like that and maybe Detroit this year?

Agree on the covid/talent excuse. coaching literally tried nothing different.

From humiliation standpoint, it doesn't happen often, but there are times that HC relinquish play calling to some other coach. I think Minnesota last year did something like that and maybe Detroit this year?
Yeah, sometimes HC do relinquish play calling, but that’s not the same as being demoted from DC back to LB coach. Don’t see many guys doing that.

The key word here is “assume”. There really isn’t any evidence out there that people can’t work with him because of his ego. Many of the fan writers/bloggers are feeding that fire too and have no inside knowledge and are speculating like everyone else.

Correct... a lot of assuming going on by fans.

I truly believe it was to protect Bowen. If Vrabel was really confident in him then he would’ve gotten the title. As he didn’t get the title or succeed, it’s easier to keep him around. However, it’s starting to feel like he gets another go at it to me.

What would Vrabels reason be for protecting Bowen? Where does he benefit?

I did find it interesting that in 2017 when Vrabel was DC in Houston and Bowen was linebackers coach the Texans ranked 5th in 3rd down defense. I think Lot of our problems on defense are directly related to personnel. Not Coaching. You can only coach up so much.

What would Vrabels reason be for protecting Bowen? Where does he benefit?

I did find it interesting that in 2017 when Vrabel was DC in Houston and Bowen was linebackers coach the Texans ranked 5th in 3rd down defense. I think Lot of our problems on defense are directly related to personnel. Not Coaching. You can only coach up so much.
They had Clowney that year..his best year I think?

So do you think losing Ryan and Casey hurt more than expected?

Losing Adoree Jackson, Logan Ryan, and Casey all hurt, but striking out on adding an impact edge rusher was the icing on the cake. We all know that having a great secondary helps the pass rush and a great pass rush helps the secondary.

We had neither and thus the defense was so poor...

In terms of pass rush, you want both an outside threat and an inside threat...Simmons is a great player, but he has never been a quick twitch, penetrator...we need to find Casey's replacement...we need to find a threat from the opposite side of Landry as well.

In terms of the secondary, we need to find a way to keep King and have Adoree be healthy....I think we are close to having the pieces to have a solid secondary

Losing Adoree Jackson, Logan Ryan, and Casey all hurt, but striking out on adding an impact edge rusher was the icing on the cake. We all know that having a great secondary helps the pass rush and a great pass rush helps the secondary.

We had neither and thus the defense was so poor...

In terms of pass rush, you want both an outside threat and an inside threat...Simmons is a great player, but he has never been a quick twitch, penetrator...we need to find Casey's replacement...we need to find a threat from the opposite side of Landry as well.

In terms of the secondary, we need to find a way to keep King and have Adoree be healthy....I think we are close to having the pieces to have a solid secondary
Agree...King needs re-signed for sure, I'd like to think that was the intention after trading for him

Simmons needs a running mate and we need a legit edge rusher

I think a combo of not having players in camp because of COVID and no Clowney, Beasley, Jackson and others because of injury and such hurt a lot when you have new coaches running things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back