Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do need veterans in the locker room and I feel that is an area JR has undervalued. However, Clowney and Watt are not going to fix our pass rush. Granted Watt would bring a coach-level presence to the locker room, but there is no substitute for putting a QB on his back several times a game.

I would tend to agree with you on Clowney, but Houston’s defense was worse than ours last season and they still got 15 more sacks than we did. Like I said... it isn’t about sack totals. It’s about pressure. JJ still got pressure and obviously chased QBs into other defenders. I think Watt would help us tremendously especially working with the younger guys. Clowney is an elective run stopper if healthy.

I just think they are going to be very good cheaper options. We aren’t signing Barrett or Dupree or guys like that, so guys like Clowney and Watt are stops gaps till we build through the draft. You can get creative with contracts to get them signed without killing the cap.

I would tend to agree with you on Clowney, but Houston’s defense was worse than ours last season and they still got 15 more sacks than we did. Like I said... it isn’t about sack totals. It’s about pressure. JJ still got pressure and obviously chased QBs into other defenders. I think Watt would help us tremendously especially working with the younger guys. Clowney is an elective run stopper if healthy.

I just think they are going to be very good cheaper options. We aren’t signing Barrett or Dupree or guys like that, so guys like Clowney and Watt are stops gaps till we build through the draft. You can get creative with contracts to get them signed without killing the cap.
I don’t want to sign Dupree coming off an ACL injury. We have all seen how the first season back goes with those. Ain’t no way we sign Barrett either, that has not been JR’s MO. Watt probably does fall in that category, someone a little past his prime that JR hopes to squeeze a little juice from. Pressure vs sacks depends on the QB, you sack Brady a bunch and you win. Pressure helps the secondary, but loss of yards and a QB on his back is a better outcome. You really should see both things if your D is any good, which ours isn’t....yet.

I don’t want to sign Dupree coming off an ACL injury. We have all seen how the first season back goes with those. Ain’t no way we sign Barrett either, that has not been JR’s MO. Watt probably does fall in that category, someone a little past his prime that JR hopes to squeeze a little juice from. Pressure vs sacks depends on the QB, you sack Brady a bunch and you win. Pressure helps the secondary, but loss of yards and a QB on his back is a better outcome. You really should see both things if your D is any good, which ours isn’t....yet.

Agreed

You wanted us to cut Malcolm Butler last year and said he was trash.

First of all, you act like he helped us get better than we were last year. Secondly, I don't believe I said he was trash. Might've said overpaid and overrated, but I highly doubt I used the word trash. Lol

You think he has played well enough to earn 14 million dollars this season?

He's the 13th highest paid corner in the league(right behind stephon Gilmore), and we have some SERIOUS cap issues this year.

We are definitely facing a decision this off-season on whether we are keeping adoree or Malcolm. Cutting either player will save us close to 10 mil. I personally would rather keep the bigger, younger, faster guy that we drafted in the 1st who has proven to be good when healthy. Everyone has their own opinions though so I won't knock people for wanting to keep the little old man who also has faced injuries in his career.

In all honesty it's not outside the realm of possibilities that both Butler and adoree get cut. If King and Borders can be retained for cheap deals, watch out. A CB base with King, Fulton and Borders could be much worse. It really just depends on the kind of deal we can get for king and borders though and what all moves we want to make this off-season.

If we want to retain Corey, Johnnu, Jayon and bring in a JJ Watt or resign a clowney then we will have to get creative.

while I wasnt completely convinced we would cut Butler last year, I would bet some serious moolah on us cutting(or trading) him this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised about the release of Borders but he was a RFA who ended the season on IR. I think we had to. I wouldn’t be surprised at all of we brought him back as a solid depth piece.

First of all, you act like he helped us get better than we were last year. Secondly, I don't believe I said he was trash. Might've said overpaid and overrated, but I highly doubt I used the word trash. Lol

You think he has played well enough to earn 14 million dollars this season?

He's the 13th highest paid corner in the league(right behind stephon Gilmore), and we have some SERIOUS cap issues this year.

We are definitely facing a decision this off-season on whether we are keeping adoree or Malcolm. Cutting either player will save us close to 10 mil. I personally would rather keep the bigger, younger, faster guy that we drafted in the 1st who has proven to be good when healthy. Everyone has their own opinions though so I won't knock people for wanting to keep the little old man who also has faced injuries in his career.

In all honesty it's not outside the realm of possibilities that both Butler and adoree get cut. If King and Borders can be retained for cheap deals, watch out. A CB base with King, Fulton and Borders could be much worse. It really just depends on the kind of deal we can get for king and borders though and what all moves we want to make this off-season.

If we want to retain Corey, Johnnu, Jayon and bring in a JJ Watt or resign a clowney then we will have to get creative.

while I wasnt completely convinced we would cut Butler last year, I would bet some serious moolah on us cutting(or trading) him this year.

You said he wasn’t good. I’m sure I could go back and find the actual word you used but either way you specifically said he wasn’t good and needed to go.

It’s funny you mention Butler’s injuries but over look he fact that Adoree has missed more time over the last 2 years.

We will keep both of them. They are important to our football team

You said he wasn’t good. I’m sure I could go back and find the actual word you used but either way you specifically said he wasn’t good and needed to go.

It’s funny you mention Butler’s injuries but over look he fact that Adoree has missed more time over the last 2 years.

We will keep both of them. They are important to our football team

You can waste your time looking for it if you'd like but I can guarantee I didn't say he was trash. I like Butler, but not for as much as he gets paid. I will bet $20 that we don't keep Malcolm AND Adoree. Our cap situation is fu*Ked. One of them will be gone.

You can waste your time looking for it if you'd like but I can guarantee I didn't say he was trash. I like Butler, but not for as much as he gets paid. I will bet $20 that we don't keep Malcolm AND Adoree. Our cap situation is fu*Ked. One of them will be gone.

I’ll take that bet easily.

it will be very interesting to see what the CB market does this offseason...you have guys like Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, AJ Bouye and Jason Mccourty...guys who are on the backside of their career who have gotten BIG money in the past....I don't see them getting that $$$ this yr...their are no sure fire stud young CBs hitting FA this yr...Shaquill Griffin and Cam Sutton are the young guys I like...but a ton of solid CBs in the middle of their career...Darby, Rhodes, Breeland, William Jackson, Verrett...

If Butler were cut I don't see any way he would get a deal near what he is getting from the Titans now.....same goes for Adoree. So IMO we have 2 overpaid CBs on the roster and I'm sure their agents know that too. If I were JRob I would let the FA CB market $$$ be set and then approach the agents about re-working their deals.

it will be very interesting to see what the CB market does this offseason...you have guys like Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, AJ Bouye and Jason Mccourty...guys who are on the backside of their career who have gotten BIG money in the past....I don't see them getting that $$$ this yr...their are no sure fire stud young CBs hitting FA this yr...Shaquill Griffin and Cam Sutton are the young guys I like...but a ton of solid CBs in the middle of their career...Darby, Rhodes, Breeland, William Jackson, Verrett...

If Butler were cut I don't see any way he would get a deal near what he is getting from the Titans now.....same goes for Adoree. So IMO we have 2 overpaid CBs on the roster and I'm sure their agents know that too. If I were JRob I would let the FA CB market $$$ be set and then approach the agents about re-working their deals.
Either one of the two gets cut or else both need to rework their deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back