Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiple counts of sexual assault are forthcoming

I agree. Whether he gets found guilty or not is another story. But I think he will get indicted and go to trial. I also think it is very possible Watson never plays another down of football in the NFL.

I would love to hear what @wrench248 has to say about this. He/she truly seems to be the smartest person in the room on this deal. Knows the legal system and the players involved in this even better than I do and that’s saying something. lol

Without physical evidence, it would have near zero chance of a conviction. It’s hearsay and a credibility issue of “he said, she said”. Watson has a history of community service and prior these allegations a near sterling citizen reputation. Versus a citizen who has chosen a career in home massage.

I doubt it gets to trial, there will be a settlement.
And there you go again, insinuating that someone that does home massage are really something else.

Massage therapy for the most part is legit treatment for many injuries.

Here in California you can even get it for work Comp claims.

I agree. Whether he gets found guilty or not is another story. But I think he will get indicted and go to trial. I also think it is very possible Watson never plays another down of football in the NFL.

I would love to hear what @wrench248 has to say about this. He/she truly seems to be the smartest person in the room on this deal. Knows the legal system and the players involved in this even better than I do and that’s saying something. lol

He may very well be indicted down the road. However, I would imagine Kim Ogg (the District Attorney in Harris County) and the Houston Police Department will want to look at what Buzbee has and conduct their own investigation. I doubt Kim Ogg is going to exclusively rely on anything Buzbee says (Buzbee had his own scandal a few years ago regarding a DWI charge he had that got dismissed by the previous District Attorney, Devon Anderson).

Similar to what I wrote earlier, all that has been filed are pieces of paper that claims Watson did xy and z and seeks damages. Any potential charges could be a long way from now and the civil suit may be resolved by then. If there is a settlement, I would expect a confidentiality agreement. If Watson is charged, it will be a shit show and I feel sorry for whichever district court judge gets assigned the case.

And you're too kind. Just a lawyer who has practiced criminal/civil defense in Harris County for a number of years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. But the home masseuses put themselves in that position also. You can’t apply a standard of judgement to one side and not the other. But you’ve already stated your bias. and i think that’s a fair statement and remarkably good insight.
so you are saying it is their fault? interesting.

He may very well be indicted down the road. However, I would imagine Kim Ogg (the District Attorney in Harris County) and the Houston Police Department will want to look at what Buzbee has and conduct their own investigation. I doubt Kim Ogg is going to exclusively rely on anything Buzbee says (Buzbee had his own scandal a few years ago regarding a DWI charge he had that got dismissed by the previous District Attorney, Devon Anderson).

Similar to what I wrote earlier, all that has been filed are pieces of paper that claims Watson did xy and z and seeks damages. Any potential charges could be a long way from now and the civil suit may be resolved by then. If there is a settlement, I would expect a confidentiality agreement. If Watson is charged, it will be a **** show and I feel sorry for whichever district court judge gets assigned the case.

And you're too kind. Just a lawyer who has practiced criminal/civil defense in Harris County for a number of years.

Thank you for the insight. I figured that’s what you would think. I also agree whichever court gets this will hate getting it. I can’t imagine a more theatrical case. There are quite a few newly elected baby judges as well. The only way it would be more dramatic would be if Kelly Siegler was the prosecutor, which she would not be. I do think the HCDAO won’t back away from a prosecution should there be any PC to charge. But it will be a media circus I would imagine.

You don’t think a Grand Jury hears this within 90 days?

You don’t think a Grand Jury hears this within 90 days?

Anything is possible but I think given who the potential defendant is, they will take their time. The last thing Ogg needs is for another high profile prosecution to fall apart on her like the trial regarding the Arkema Explosion case (A directed verdict was granted in favor of the Defendants).

Anything is possible but I think given who the potential defendant is, they will take their time. The last thing Ogg needs is for another high profile prosecution to fall apart on her like the trial regarding the Arkema Explosion case (A directed verdict was granted in favor of the Defendants).

That’s very true.

Can you please dispel the in my opinion false opinion by some non legal types that any video or recording that may exist in this case is not admissible in court if it was taken without Watsons permission. I am pretty sure Texas is a one party consent state and as long as one of the parties knows if doesn’t matter if the other does or not in most situations. There are people saying even if a crime were committed by Watson and the woman taped it but without Watsons consent it couldn’t be used in court. I am fairly certain it can be and would be admitted into evidence.

And there you go again, insinuating that someone that does home massage are really something else.

Massage therapy for the most part is legit treatment for many injuries.

Here in California you can even get it for work Comp claims.

you said “for the most part” so you and I agree. There are some that make it shady.

That’s very true.

Can you please dispel the in my opinion false opinion by some non legal types that any video or recording that may exist in this case is not admissible in court if it was taken without Watsons permission. I am pretty sure Texas is a one party consent state and as long as one of the parties knows if doesn’t matter if the other does or not in most situations. There are people saying even if a crime were committed by Watson and the woman taped it but without Watsons consent it couldn’t be used in court. I am fairly certain it can be and would be admitted into evidence.

Audio recording is one party consent and person has to know it is being recorded. See Texas Penal Code 16.02. Regarding a video, that is not necessarily always the case and it does depend on the circumstances from what I remember (person in public place, for example). There are several ways video recording is illegal. See Texas Penal Code 21.15, 21.16, for example. Basically, video isn't always as easy. Even if the video recording is legal, the proper predicate would have be laid during any trial on the merits for it to be admissible.

Audio recording is one party consent and person has to know it is being recorded. See Texas Penal Code 16.02. Regarding a video, that is not necessarily always the case and it does depend on the circumstances from what I remember (person in public place, for example). There are several ways video recording is illegal. See Texas Penal Code 21.15, 21.16, for example. Basically, video isn't always as easy. Even if the video recording is legal, the proper predicate would have be laid during any trial on the merits for it to be admissible.

So it could be admissible? It’s just not a simple yes or no.

Tony Buzbee to submit evidence to HPD, Harris Co. District Attorney in Texans’ Deshaun Watson case
Tony Buzbee to submit evidence to HPD, Harris Co. District Attorney in Texans’ Deshaun Watson case

About to get very real now. I don’t think Tony Buzbee would be submitting
“Evidence” to the HPD and the Harris County DA and asking for a Grand Jury unless he has more than we know. It could only be bad for him and his clients if it’s nothing.

@wrench248 Would you agree? Bold move. Has to have something right?

The chance this has anything to do with the Texans is zero to none. It makes zero sense. If you want to argue the FO handled things with him poorly, I would agree. But to think they would essentially just decide to not only kill any value he has to them (either through a trade, or actually playing for them since he is likely looking at a lengthy suspension) is a pretty out there conspiracy. Contract issues, trade demands, holdouts, etc, are nothing new with the NFL. To think a team would go to these lengths due to a trade demand is pretty far out there.

The fact that all of this came out now is suspect. I believe if Watson did it he would have just paid the settlement and it goes away and let the public believe what they believe. A 6 figure payout is nothing to him. His mistake was being alone with the masseuse and no legal documentation to protect himself. For the record I am against mistreatment of women but she went back if I'm not mistaken. What's far out there is all of these women said NOTHING until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back