Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing Young did during his pro day aleviates my fears. My worry is still about whether he can run an NFL offense.

I've never been concerned with his athleticism, arm strength, accuracy, throwing motion, or any of that stuff. And those are the only things that get displayed on pro days.

Starkiller said:
Nothing Young did during his pro day aleviates my fears. My worry is still about whether he can run an NFL offense.
There's nothing Young can do which will aleviate your fears then. We have to hope Reese, Chow, Fisher and Johnson can get a good idea of this in the "chalk talk" sessions tonight and tomorrow.

Pro Day reports are another tool that GMs use to throw up smokescreens prior to the draft. In other words, don't believe everrything that you hear in regards to a player's pro day.

Already we are hearing discrepancies in times and number of completed passes. Now we are hearing that Young did not attempt certain throws that the coaches, scouts, and GMs had wanted to see.

Scott Wright of NFL Draft Countdown said that VY didn't blow the scouts and coaches away with his performance today.

VY Did Not WOW The Scouts and Coaches With His Work out

TitanJeff said:
There's nothing Young can do which will aleviate your fears then.
That's correct. That's why I think he's such a huge risk versus Leinart and Cutler...

We have to hope Reese, Chow, Fisher and Johnson can get a good idea of this in the "chalk talk" sessions tonight and tomorrow.
I'll put my faith in whomever they pick, even if it's Young.

Gil Brandt said it was a slow track today, for what it is worth. I think anyone who likes everything they see, but is put off by is 40 time is over thinking things big time. We know how he runs in game situations against the very best competition there was, so running ability shouldn't be a question at all. 90% of the reports I have read have said his workout was extremely impressive.

As far as running an nfl offense, they had a blackboard session today and the Titans will get a private workout tomorrow. I have zero doubt that they will be able to tell if he can run an NFL offense or not.

Starkiller said:
That's correct. That's why I think he's such a huge risk versus Leinart and Cutler...
I have my concerns about Cutler's mechanics and decision-making.

I'll put my faith in whomever they pick, even if it's Young.
Same here. Young's workout for the Titans and his private interview time with the staff is likely what will have the biggest impression.

This is how I look at it.

In the Rose Bowl Reggie Bush was apparently stuffed and gained 170 all purpose yards because the Texas D was fast. Had Vince Young has a fast defence in front of him, I think he'd have gotten stuffed. 4.58 is pretty unimpressive in terms of what people were thinking he'd be getting. I saw him and straight away I said he isn't that fast. "He's so big, it makes him long slower", etc. I said 4.6 time. 4.58 is closer to 4.6 than the 4.4 peeps were expecting.

You can say what you want about throwing and how many completions he got. His speed is the thing that makes him throw less, and that isn't that impressive. He isn't the "physical beast" people thought he was. Hell Matt Jones and HIS 6'6 frame who ran a 4.3 looks BEASTLY now.

Who has the last word on Vince?

I would really like to see us pick Vince, and I think we will because Bo says so. Bo Scaife that is.........why do you think we picked him last year:ha: :ha:

Young ahead of cutler...

Tennessee residents who insist we draft cutler #3. Hardly a surprise but if cutler had gone to kansas, kent or any other school many of you cutler fanatics wouldn't have in such high esteem.

I used to see that all the time with bear fans and notre dame players. The fans are almost always wrong.

I like mario with that pick but if we have to draft a QB i would rather take a chance on vince. The bust rate for QBs is at least 50% so get the guy with the most raw potential to be a star. And never never draft a guy based on how soon you think he will be ready to play. That's nonsense! Who cares if vince might need an extra year to get ready it's the 10 years after that i'm concerned about.

thnom said:
Had Vince Young has a fast defence in front of him, I think he'd have gotten stuffed.

Ask AJ Hawk about VY's speed during the game. Oh wait....VY beat Ohio State with his arm....NEVER MIND.:winker:

RollTide said:
Tennessee residents who insist we draft cutler #3. Hardly a surprise but if cutler had gone to kansas, kent or any other school many of you cutler fanatics wouldn't have in such high esteem. QUOTE]

Thank you for saying that.....Vince is what we need! I hope he's still there by #3. I'm worried about the Jets trading up and stealing him.

RollTide said:
Tennessee residents who insist we draft cutler #3. Hardly a surprise but if cutler had gone to kansas, kent or any other school many of you cutler fanatics wouldn't have in such high esteem.

I used to see that all the time with bear fans and notre dame players. The fans are almost always wrong.
That's an idiotic argument. Vandy fans here have never suggested the Titans taking a Commodore in the 1st round before. Meanwhile, such notable Vandy homers and Mike Mayock and Chris Mortensen (just to name 2 well know ones) have also suggested that Cutler is the best QB in the draft.

The obvious fact is that Cutler is a damned good QB who is right up there with Leinart and Young. Everyone likes someone different. But saying that only a Vandy homer would want Cutler is as moronic as saying that only a USC homer would want Leinart...

The argument was the only reason some are saying that we should pick him is because he's a local QB. If he had gone to Kansas or Kent or whereever else Tennessee RESIDENTS (RollTide never said the Vandy fans) wouldn't be suggesting we take Cutler at 3. I don't think Cutler is worthy of the third pick, especially with all the talent in this draft, but that's my opinion.

I just saw Oakland signed Brooks to a two year deal. I really could see whichever two quarterbacks we don't pick dropping out of the top ten and one of them even down to 15. Most likely won't happen, but I could see it happening.

Starkiller said:

I've never been concerned with his athleticism, arm strength, accuracy, throwing motion, or any of that stuff. And those are the only things that get displayed on pro days.
Well said.

whats idiotic is that some are arguing that Titan fans are pushing for the Titans to pick Cutler simply because he's a local product

there's quite a few others (fans / scouts / media / players) who are also very high on Cutler .... from all over the country

his alma mater has absolutely NOTHING to do with it
Jay has undoubtedly the strongest arm in the draft
thats why he has attention

The world is in constant flux. Everything changes.

What is funny is that this carousel of favoritism just goes round and round. Who really didn't think Young would have a decent pro day? Who thinks Leinart won't? Cutler has shown he deserves to belong right up there with them. There will NOT be a solid consensus as to who is the best. Time will tell that. People will like who they like -- fans, players, coaches, media, scouts, mamas, papas -- in the end, it'll be about who likes which guy, who has the cojones to go after their guy and that's about it. Young is up there again. Adored by some, questioned by others, and so it will go with Leinart, and so it is with Cutler. Even with his glowing press, folks will and still do question how good Jay can be. It just goes around. Everything in flux. As the World Turns....so to speak.

All that goes to say, who didn't expect it to go like this, really? It's funny. I enjoy it....except the NOT BEING ABLE TO TIME TRAVEL PART!

I doubt we take Young. The fact that he did not show his ability to make certain throws will hurt him. I am saying right now if we go quarterback, it will be cutler and not young. My prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back